TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I would love to see St. Patrick's Day or Mardi Gras areas added soon.

But I'd rather see another ride in the Thanksgiving area before another new area. That area has way less rides than Halloween and 4th of July and needs another family thrill ride. Maybe a water ride. But then eventually they would add it to the water park and make the area even smaller. Maybe a Disk'O. I love those rides. And it would be easy to theme to the Mayflower.

This is off-topic but Maverick was the first time I experienced "neck-banging", which doesn't hurt like head-banging does. I must be the right height for it. Anticipating the twists does help eliminate it altogether but I never found the ride painful.

If more CP "fanboys/girls" piped up about that, I figured the park would have gotten rid of the shoulder part (they are easily taken off with an Allen wrench) or traded them in for soft pads like I-305. But no one wants to "complain." Done politely and constructively, it can lead to changes.

Of course, no amount of defensive riding can help mitigate the pain in a rough wooden coaster like (apparently) the Voyage. I can't wait to ride it anyway though.

I find that trying to sit up with the small of my back not slouching in the seat helps. Kinda keep the lower back away from the back rest, which sounds kinda silly... but works for me

Agree with you about defensive riding on a woodie - there are a few ways that some of the roughness can be mitigated. One way is sticking to a non-wheel seat and towards or in the front seat if possible. I find that if I can stiffen my legs and brace them against where the floor and back of the seat in front of me (or just the inside of the car on the very front) that lightens the load on my back. This is sort of like when you ride a bike and you "stand" when riding - having your butt barely on the seat or just above it, and putting most of your weight on the pedals. This of course would be impossible if you get stapled, but on most woodies that isn't an issue. The only thing I can't defend against is what rough woodies do to my neck - the jittering and jack-hammering can be rather painful and I haven't found a way to shield against it. There are a couple of places on Voyage (at least there were when I rode it back in '09 or maybe '08, either way it's been at least 4 years ago) that got my neck, so for me there wasn't too much re-rideability to it. But I like the Voyage for its blistering intensity, even if I could only ride a couple of times in a row. Of course I wouldn't mind at all if they were to do something to greatly increase that re-rideability. That would be great.

As for Maverick, I also agree with you. I got an absolutely brutal front seat ride a couple of years ago, and unlike even the worst Arrow looper, I was unable to do a thing to defend myself against the battering. However, a year before I rode close to the back and it was more like an Arrow looper - you could defend yourself against most of the head-banging there. And unfortunately (IMO I think people ought to state their height in these head-banging or not arguments) I'm 5'3" and right in the prime OTSR head-bashing zone on quite a few coasters. I'd rather get it on my neck than right on my ears! Ouch!

^I just want to reiterate that I'm 5'8" and didn't find Maverick painful at all, but I can to totally see how a shorter person would have a much worse time with it. Necks are softer than skulls. I'm not sure they could just not have OTSR on that ride though, you might get people really hurting their backs. Like on Skyrush but worse.

I'm 6-1 and find Maverick a real pain in the neck. The jabs from those thin/hard bars are worse than any Arrow I've been on.

My friend Beth, who cannot get off Voyage during ERT (I can take 2 rides in a row at most) will not go anywhere near Maverick. It's all opinion I guess... and all the combinations of different opinions. I really want to LOVE Maverick, but those dang jabs.

I'm sure it will be some Waterslide's, over by Hyena Fall's, to fill that area out some more.

No it will probably be another freaking watercoaster lol

I wouldn't complain much about that. I wish Water Country in Williamsburg would get one of those.

Edited by cfc

I'm sure it will be some Waterslide's, over by Hyena Fall's, to fill that area out some more.

I hate to say it but you probably are right since Hyena Falls is kind of over there by itself and some small new flat ride for the Holiday World side. I can't imagine they'd build one set of water slides way out yonder where its such a long walk away from the rest of the waterpark unless they were going to build another waterpark expansion.

They can make major expansions to both parks at the same time. The year they added the Thanksgiving section, they also added a new lazy river. Considering they lost capacity by losing the Congo River this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they added another lazy river and made a major addition to the dry park at the same time.

So if you go on the Holiblog, some pages say that there are 22 posts for August on the side bar, while others say there is only 17. It seems like there are some that are hidden or only available by direct link (i.e. http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/whats-new). Also, after checking their Flickr page, as I do daily, there is a picture titled "Rocket J. Squirrel" that I've posted below. I wonder what it could be for.

1397463143_Screenshot2013-08-31at10_52_26PM.png.4cadadb269d6f2e7e9db4789aaf27dc8.png

Direct link: Rocket J. Squirrel

^ No problem man. HW seems to be posting their blogs in bulk lately, so its been kinda hard to keep track of every single one.

You can sign up for the RSS feed and then receive the posts via email. Otherwise, just click on the current month in the archive sidebar and you'll be sure to catch them all.

Thanks for reading!

^I give Holiday World extra bonus points for the Rocky and Bullwinkle reference.

What's really odd is the very day before Tony told me about the flying squirrel, I'd sat my youngest son (he's 14) down to show him some Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons on YouTube. When Tony told me the story, all I could think of was Rocky. And when I remember Wildebeest's model name is a ProSlide Hydromagnet Rocket, there was no choice but to blog about it.

Oh, and Josh/HWFan - our blog photos are pulled from Flickr, so it may be you saw the still on Flickr before the blog post was fully written and published.

^ That's probably it. For instance, I saw the bucket of pony tail holders on Flickr, and then later that evening the blog about the roof cleaning was posted.

By the way, I accidentally told a guest at another park that Splashin' Safari closed at 6, so they needed to wait for the supervisors to sweep the park for lost and found items. I couldn't figure out why they gave me such weird looks until I had said "Splashin' Safari" two or three times. I guess it ranks up there with the time I used the name "ZOOMbabwe" in history class because I didn't realize the country was actually called Zimbabwe.

EDIT: I still can only see the first 17 HoliBlog posts for August. I'm pretty tech savvy, but no matter what I click, it won't show me that first page. It just defaults the next page's posts onto it. The only way I can get to see any of the others is by direct link.

IMO I'd like to see the next "large" addition to go in the Thanksgiving area. That part of the park needs more love, and rides. Especially since Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica has been turned over to the Water Park. Thats just a personal preference.

I'm really thinking that we're going to see a major expansion in the dry park and something added to the waterpark. The two dates I'm watching are September, Friday the 13th and September 16th, which was the day the pilgrims set sail to America on the Mayflower in the year of 1620.

I'm still believing in the 17th St. Patrick's Day. I can't believe nobody is going with me on that.

I'm really thinking that we're going to see a major expansion in the dry park and something added to the waterpark. The two dates I'm watching are September, Friday the 13th and September 16th, which was the day the pilgrims set sail to America on the Mayflower in the year of 1620.

I'm still believing in the 17th St. Patrick's Day. I can't believe nobody is going with me on that.

I'm with you on this date. Only I'm thinking it's going to be a new land in celebration of me!

To help calm (or perhaps fuel) the curiosity about 2014, we will - beginning today - post a daily HoliHint here on the HoliBlog.

We've already divulged that our "what's new" for 2014 will be revealed during September, and that we can't (or, actually, won't) tell you the date ahead of time, because that would probably give it away. (Thanks a lot, Google!)

Today's HoliHint: In 2014, there will not be an increase in ticket prices.

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/holihint-countdown