TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I was there this past Saturday. I was hoping the Timberliners might go live, so I checked Friday night to see if there was any word on them, and found the word they were removed. Missed the whole debate.

I try to avoid information about rides that I haven't been on as much as possible, and other then knowing that the Voyage was there, I had not watched any footage or really even looked at many pictures of it. I knew it's reputation for being somewhat rough, and I also knew visiting it at the end of the season would probably amplify that. I was even more concerned when I saw the steel structure, as I can't think of one wooden coaster with a steel structure that hasn't beat the living crud out of me, even when I was told they would be awesome. MegaZeph was probably the crowning achievement of that. I expected the ride to be miserable.

Instead, with three backseat rides throughout the day, I didn't find it very rough at all. The airtime was amazing, the laterals were all right and the triple drop in the tunnel was amazing. There were a couple of slightly jarring places after the triple drop, but I never felt like it was unrideable. I found the Legend to be much tougher as a ride because I had to really figure out how to brace myself side-to-side to not go slamming back and forth, and I definitely was riding that thing defensively. I wasn't with the Voyage.

Could it use some work? Yeah, but I find that the danger with any wooden coaster that is big. It clearly needs some help thanks to the constant work in the off-seasons, but it isn't currently the beat-the-junk outta you rides that I totally avoid.

I agree... I rode Voyage 10-15 straight times this year at HW Nights moving around the train each time while everyone was on the walk back so I could wave at them and pose for the cameras and I really wasn't sore or had bruises after my last ride of the day. It was a little cool and not very humid so I think that is what makes the ride. I've ridden it on more hot and humid days and it was brutal.

People on TPR claim they have something big within a three year span, but I've not heard or read about that anywhere else but here. And these big projects will most likely not start till 2015 at the earliest.

Nobody is making it up... http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/oct/04/no-headline---holidayworld/

"We did a great big project for 2012, so there may not be a big project in 2013," Koch said. "But I promise you, there are big, big projects coming for 2014, 2015 and 2016. They are already on the drawing board, but I am sworn to secrecy."

Then again, Dan is not in charge, but I really don't think that is going to change any of the future plans.

After over quoting the article in this thread, I was told by Paula that Dan was getting carried away. As I know he tends to get really excited easily this wasn't a surprise. In the quote, Dan talked down and 2013 addition, and apparently talked up the others. I just wanted to clear things up.

Obviously this doesn't mean we won't see something big like a coaster in the next three years, just not three huge things in a row.

^ Or maybe Paula was playing her tricks on you? You never know with Holiday World. I think Dan may have said that when comparing these projects to this years expansion. Like I said, you really never know with Holiday World. The fact that their going to talk about next year next month tells me that next years expansion might be bigger than this years expansion. Either way, I absolutely love the speculation!

I happened to catch this on Chance Rides' Facebook page. It appears that the recently purchased C.P. Huntington train for the Holidog Express is up for sale already? I know they aren't just using a stock image, as Waldameer's former C.P. Huntington engine was also pictured last year when it was put up for sale after Waldameer turned it in for a new engine.

http://chancerides.com/instock/instock1.html

^Maybe they swapped theirs out too?

^^A PR persons job is to control the flow of information about their product. I would not be the least bit surprised if she is playing dumb so they can properly announce whatever the future projects are.

I agree... I rode Voyage 10-15 straight times this year at HW Nights moving around the train each time while everyone was on the walk back so I could wave at them and pose for the cameras and I really wasn't sore or had bruises after my last ride of the day. It was a little cool and not very humid so I think that is what makes the ride. I've ridden it on more hot and humid days and it was brutal.

It was VERY humid, at least in the morning when I rode. It had just stopped drizzling, there was still water dripping on you with some of the tunnels, and I was told by the tram operator that they got over an inch of rain during a morning rainstorm. It was sort of cool, I believe peaking in the upper 70s, but nothing about the ride seemed that horribly rough to me. I rode the Beast two days earlier, and it was far rougher than Voyage.

I don't know if I caught it on a good day or what, but I have a low tolerance for painful rides, and if the line hadn't been so long I would have gladly rode it another five or six times.

I happened to catch this on Chance Rides' Facebook page. It appears that the recently purchased C.P. Huntington train for the Holidog Express is up for sale already? I know they aren't just using a stock image, as Waldameer's former C.P. Huntington engine was also pictured last year when it was put up for sale after Waldameer turned it in for a new engine.

This might sound crazy, but maybe the park found a way to fix the Freedom Train? That ride means a lot to Holiday World, because it was the only original ride left from Santa Claus Land.

^Maybe they swapped theirs out too?

This is probably right though.

^^A PR persons job is to control the flow of information about their product. I would not be the least bit surprised if she is playing dumb so they can properly announce whatever the future projects are.

That's what Paula does best!

The Ad States it is a "Brand New" Unit with Brass Trim. CPH #373 at Holiday World has Chrome Trim. It is possible that Holiday World was just Leasing #373 for this Season and could purchase a Unit Built Specifically for them for 2014. Since the advertised unit has the same paint job, it would make sense for Chance to use #373 as the Photo.

This might sound crazy, but maybe the park found a way to fix the Freedom Train? That ride means a lot to Holiday World, because it was the only original ride left from Santa Claus Land.

Anyone know if the Freedom Train was put on Static Display or what Gauge the Freedom Train was? Holiday World had to rebuild the roadbed and install new ties and track to operate the CPH. That was not cheap and it sounded like Holiday World was quite happy with their CPH. Perhaps Paula could clear things up.

I feel like sadly over the years I've lost touch with Holiday World. I'm not really sure what I've been missing out on, but in my complete honest opinion I think that the family feud has had nothing but a negative impact on Holiday World. Will had such an exciting, unique vision for the park and I really don't want that vision to be lost over greed.

'

I'm sad that Holiday World let The Voyage's ranking slip. For years they were able to find a way to keep the ride above El Toro, but why did it slip this year? Why didn't they do enough to keep that ranking? Could they have invested more in retracking efforts? I just don't like seeing that small ranking leave the park...

I remain curious to see where the park goes from here. Paula hasn't been doing any of her legendary PR work leading up to a new ride coming for next year, leaving me skeptical we'll see anything major. I think that the park is overdue for a new rollercoaster, whether that be steel or wooden. I think that the park has left their focus in the waterpark, and I really just want to see the next big, innovative ride from HW. (don't get me wrong, their work in the waterpark is wonderful, but I think its time to focus some attention back on the park.) Will was a visionary and sadly I feel that if he was still with us Holiday World would be in a completely different place.

Just my two cents, I hope no one takes them the wrong way.

Asa, honey, go eat a Snickers bar, okay?

We're fine and the future is incredible. I'm still doing my job (brilliantly, or so I thought ...). Will wouldn't want us all moping around. His legacy is laughter, creativity and fun!

I'm glad to hear about the future and I wasn't knocking on you at all! I'm a PR student and I would love to someday have the job you have. I was just stating I haven't seen any hinting at new rides, that is all.

I fully believe in the future of Holiday World, I don't want anyone to think differently!

I'm sad that Holiday World let The Voyage's ranking slip. For years they were able to find a way to keep the ride above El Toro, but why did it slip this year? Why didn't they do enough to keep that ranking? Could they have invested more in retracking efforts? I just don't like seeing that small ranking leave the park...

To be fair, they did give Gravity Group every chance in the world to get those timberliners up and running on the ride. I personally haven't been on Voyage, but I have heard a lot of people say that its ranking has been inflated thanks to the great hospitality Holiday World shows the enthusiast community.

I trust her. She actually meant it. There was nothing deceptive about it.

Will had such an exciting, unique vision for the park and I really don't want that vision to be lost over greed.

I'm pretty sure HW is in great hands.

Lori: Will's wife. She spent years with Will and working at HW.

Matt: Will's best friend. He knew exactly what Will's vision was.

Dan: Will's brother. They talked about HW daily, and talking to him, you can tell he loves the park. Below I've attached some interesting and relevant screenshots of Dan's comments on the Holliwood Nights page. He addresses the future including a hotel. I think that they're all interesting and relevant.

Dan1.png.a34bba8b4a376d3c5b69a5fa86992b84.png

Here he goes into actually costs. Anyone else think it's interesting he includes an Entrance complex? Maybe for a second one down by Thanksgiving?

Dan2.png.29ee0af3ff3310b13851d9a38968fc82.png

So, no hotel for a while at least.

Dan3.png.1c68b05fc9eb5dcb130b8703f8a8d168.png

Dan4.png.1bb0a50690fb4d2a84f6abbbcf402ba3.png

Dan5.png.630e9478f48a3af4e6d33d63dc659683.png

Looks like Dollywood isn't the only one with a massive ten year plan.

Dan6.png.5491befc727e845d25c26924a438fc01.png

Dan Koch has said a lot of stuff online, including some now mysteriously departed posts at Coasterbuzz. He's also suing Will's wife for control of the park, so he doesn't actually have any say at the moment. I'll just leave it at that.

Dan Koch has said a lot of stuff online, including some now mysteriously departed posts at Coasterbuzz. He's also suing Will's wife for control of the park, so he doesn't actually have any say at the moment. I'll just leave it at that.

He still owns 40% of the company, and he's told me that overall, both parties share the same vision for the park itself. Also, he's working with Lori on the park's future with that NY Theme park board member acting as the messenger between them if I'm not mistaken.

To be fair, they did give Gravity Group every chance in the world to get those timberliners up and running on the ride. I personally haven't been on Voyage, but I have heard a lot of people say that its ranking has been inflated thanks to the great hospitality Holiday World shows the enthusiast community.

It also helps that the park has all their coasters running top notch during Holiwood Nights.

He still owns 40% of the company, and he's told me that overall, both parties share the same vision for the park itself. Also, he's working with Lori on the park's future with that NY Theme park board member acting as the messenger between them if I'm not mistaken.

This is exactly why I think they're going to have eventually work things out. They can't spend the rest of their lives in 60%-40% partnership and not talk to each other. The NY Theme park guy was also a good friend of Will.

I'm going to guess the announcement date will be September 13th, a Friday, alluding to a new addition in the Halloween area of the park. Or the announcement could be right on Halloween, for that matter.

Edited by adamico2

I'm going to guess the announcement date will be September 13th, a Friday, alluding to a new addition in the Halloween area of the park. Or the announcement could be right on Halloween, for that matter.

I think it's going to be next month. If it's in Halloween, any idea of where it could go? Seems like they've maxed out all the space available in that section, unless they remove something to make more room.

I just thought of this, but there is room where the old first-aid building used to be. If they removed that building and moved the entrance sign for Splashin' Safari down the path, they might be able to put something there.

Edit: after looking at the google earth images, it doesn't seem feasible to put anything in that space.