TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

As witnessed with Hades 360, putting Timberliners on a rough ride clearly doesn't fix the ride. Putting them on a new coaster would hopefully keep the ride smoother for longer. I guess we'll have to see how well Twister and Wooden Warrior hold up.

Official Timberliner update from Holiday World...

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/voyage-train-update

For four years, we have worked in partnership with Gravitykraft Corp. to test a new style of roller coaster train for The Voyage, our award-winning wooden roller coaster.

We very much appreciate Gravitykraft’s efforts in this process, however ultimately we have decided to continue running the existing trains on our three wooden coasters.

Sad to hear that after all the time and effort the Timberliner trains are being completely nixed. Now to try to figure out bumping up my first visit to Holiday World just incase they decide to make a more drastic change to Voyage in the coming year(s).

^^ From what I'm reading, yes, they are a no go permanently.

Personally, I like Voyage the way it is but I would love to see it transform into something like Outlaw Run (minus inversions of course, lol). Those trains look amazing and I would think that it would reduce wear but I'm wondering, how much is it going to cost as the Voyage is a good 3000ft longer...

Just my thoughts.

I can't pass judgement on timberliners as my only experience with them was on Hades 360. I agree with this decision as they are probably not worth the time and effort at this point.

Any idea as to why they just don't work on Voyage? I remember testing videos and the train seemed to make it through the course Ok.

Edited by DougMJr

I wouldn't think Topper Track would cost more that Iron Horse, and NTAG was around 10 million, but Voyage is almost 2000 feet longer.

Topper Track would probably be around 5-7 million for Voyage, and I think it could possibly cost more.

How much does it cost each year to redo some of the track in the offseason?

but I'm wondering, how much is it going to cost as the Voyage is a good 3000ft longer...

Probably a good amount of money, but look at it like this. The park would probably spend the same amount of money maintaning the Voyage over the next 10 years if they don't put on the topper track.

Since I had kind of been waiting to re-visit Holiday World for Voyage with the Timberliners, I'm pretty shocked that this whole thing has been thrown out.

BUT. Coming 2014, it'll be years and it'll be too long since I've been there and I'll have to visit. So I'll have to visit. I'm disappointed. Not blaming anyone here, but I'm pretty confused.

You have to think that HW has been following the Timberliners on Hades 360. The whole goal with this project was to make the Voyage re-rideable and it's very evident from all the reports from Hades 360, that it's not re-rideable or rideable at all. If the trains can't make the coaster re-rideable, it doesn't make sense for the park to continue with the project.

I think they should now focus their money on permanently fixing the Voyage with RMC track and trains.

I think it just means they are tired of waiting and couldn't come to an agreement to keep the project going.

^^ RMC can probably put topper track anywhere the park wants

I think it needs to be noted that this RMC topper track is all just speculation at this point. The park might be content with The Voyage as it is right now.

I doubt they are content with it...it's been needing to be retracked extensively every year while running the current PTC's...they wouldn't have tried for five years to get Timberliners if they were happy with it. Something else happened.

I think it just means they are tired of waiting and couldn't come to an agreement to keep the project going.

I doubt they are content with it...it's been needing to be retracked extensively every year while running the current PTC's...they wouldn't have tried for five years to get Timberliners if they were happy with it. Something else happened.

You both are very right.

While I've been optimistic Voyage would eventually get the Timberliners, after reading about Hades 360 I'm not at all surprised the project is cancelled. From what I remember, the Voyage is not entirely rough, so perhaps the park will keep the PTC trains and look into putting Topper Track on some of the rougher/high maintenance sections. The ride certainly doesn't need a full I-Box treatment, as it is a great ride that is just too rough to enjoy fully. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

From my experience in late July of 2012, the Voyage wasn't all that bad until the spaghetti bowl portion. Then things got rough. Is it possibly to have the Topper Track put on there and not on the beginning portions?

I went in early August 2012, and I completely agree with you. In fact, I dont remember a single part of the ride that was unnecessarily rough until dipping into the tunnel next to the station and then the spaghetti bowl. So to me, the majority of the ride is world class and I cant wait to ride it again.

I can't pass judgement on timberliners as my only experience with them was on Hades 360. I agree with this decision as they are probably not worth the time and effort at this point.

Any idea as to why they just don't work on Voyage? I remember testing videos and the train seemed to make it through the course Ok.

I went back and watched the 2010 IAAPA interview with the Gravity Group and they said that there was to much motion in the seat area (

). I went looked for some pictures of the trains to see how they have evolved since the first model in 2010. The structure on the back of the seats is the one thing that has consistently changed since 2010. I don't wanna make any assumptions, but it looks to me that the Gravity Group could never design a seat support system to contain the motion in that area while it was running on the Voyage. I could be wrong though.

Edit: If they got the trains running on something as rough as Hades 360, they might have solved the seat motion issue.

VoyageTimberlinersMay2010.jpg.7f42d190910fbe9957dfa16d0233bc42.jpg

This was the first model that was brought to the park in May of 2010. Notice how there is little structure on the seat.

VoyageTimberlinersNov2010.jpg.5581f9bbf2f4faeadecdb60e6158deff.jpg

This is the same train in Nov. of 2010 when the train took its first riders. Notice the added structure on the back of the seat.

WoodenWarriorsTimberliners2011.jpg.ec8c652cd1ccfabe2524329951d96645.jpg

These are the Timberliners on Wooden Warrior in 2011. It appears to have the same structure on the back of the seat as the picture above.

Hades360.jpg.a1b52ab02b7926460efc797290028781.jpg

Hades 360 Timberliners. It appears to have the same seat structure as Wooden Warrior.

WoodenWarriorTimberliners2012.jpg.9e9cdfa0f82626979ae6d132096515f0.jpg

This is the Wooden Warrior in 2012. Notice the added seat structure

VoyageTimberliners.jpg.25b7cdae812522d0890f894979ba90f7.jpg

This is the Timberliner train that tested on The Voyage this spring. It also had the added seat structure.

4 words. I Trust Holiday World.

I don't doubt this is more frustrating for them than us. It's wasted time, energy, and money. But whatever they decide to do it will be fine! I love the ride now so if they ever do get topper track then great, if they don't great! Either way its a world class ride! Now lets talk about the even more needed new roller coaster!

It's sad that this has come to this. The Timberliners were intended to solve a real problem with the Voyage. Eventually you have to draw a firm line with your vendors and tell them "no more playing lab with our equipment". At my work we have to tell this to Cisco on a regular basis because they are notorious for trying to do this. We let them do a little testing and then cut them off because they'll extend it way past the point where testing on a customer's production equipment is reasonable. It sounds like this is exactly where Holiday World is with the Timberliners.

It's sad that this has come to this. The Timberliners were intended to solve a real problem with the Voyage. Eventually you have to draw a firm line with your vendors and tell them "no more playing lab with our equipment". At my work we have to tell this to Cisco on a regular basis because they are notorious for trying to do this. We let them do a little testing and then cut them off because they'll extend it way past the point where testing on a customer's production equipment is reasonable. It sounds like this is exactly where Holiday World is with the Timberliners.

While it is sad the Timberliners have been scrapped, I'm sure Holiday World will find another solution to keep the Voyage running strong. It seems like a Rocky Mountain treatment is the surest way to fix it.

4 words. I Trust Holiday World.

I have 3 words. Rocky Mountain It.

I agree with this. I liked Voyage a lot in the spring of 2009, but was shocked at how rough it was in August 2010. Maybe Topper Track can help.