TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^^I agree as well. I went to Holiwood Nights for the first time in 2011 and found Voyage to be sorta brutal. I had the Legend ranked higher because of it, sadly. On the second day of the event, my dad picked the Voyage to be his first coaster there, and didn't ride any more rides after it that day (every time I bring up Holiday World, to this day, he still complains they need a steel coaster ). 2012 changed my ranking for the coaster greatly because it felt much, much smoother. Thanks to that, it now currently sits in my top-five list for favorite roller coasters!

^ Loop? Who said anything about loops?!

Take note that Paula BOLDED the word loop in that post. Clearly this is a hint. What else could it mean? I believe now is the time that we should start an amazing rumor. Where do you all think the loop should be installed on The Voyage?

--Robb "I'm gonna get in so much trouble now..." Alvey

I would love to be in Paula's position. I would totally just randomly bold and italicize words to really screw with us.

No loops! I'm still holding out hope for America's first Megalite!

This. I would totally go all the out there for a Megalite.

Nope, no new coasters for Holiday World.

Lately it's been water park expansion after water park expansion.

Next year will be a water coaster even longer than Mammoth named Humpback or something. (can't think of any land mammals bigger than a mammoth.)

It is time though for Holiday World to get a nice steel coaster.

I think a nice B&M about the size of Hydra would work nicely at Holiday World.

So you're guessing it will be an Aqualoop?

Nope, no new coasters for Holiday World.

Lately it's been water park expansion after water park expansion.

Next year will be a water coaster even longer than Mammoth named Humpback or something. (can't think of any land mammals bigger than a mammoth.)

It is time though for Holiday World to get a nice steel coaster.

I think a nice B&M about the size of Hydra would work nicely at Holiday World.

So you're guessing it will be an Aqualoop?

No, I never thought of that.

Look, I know that the water park is very busy, (1 hour wait for Wildebeest, yeah, um, no thanks) but it is time for a major expansion in the dry park.

This is me when I am at Holiday World getting ready to ride Voyage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi2Afxm7JQw

Just a recap of all projects since the Voyage. Bold means the signature attraction for the year:

2007: Bakuli, Tilt-a-Whirl, Pilgrim's Cafe

2008: Carousel, Reindeer Games, Kima Bay

2009: Pilgrim's Plunge (Now part of the water park as Girraffica)

2010: Wildebeest

2011: Safari Sam Splashland, Santa kiddie ride

2012: Mammoth, Sparkler

2013: Hyena Falls, Tea Cups

I think we are due for a dry side expansion next year. Praying for a Mega-Lite or a steel coaster in general. Maybe even a Manta-esque Mack launched coaster will suffice!

In an article I found online, Matt Eckert said that Pat would not be appearing in any commercials this season. They instead wanted to focus on showcasing their rides. IMO Pat is a HUGE part of the HW brand because people love her. This move is helping to push HW closer and closer to the corporate park feel. I fell in love with the park not only because of the rides but mainly because of the people.

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/holiday-world-family-feud-wont-be-on-display-when-amusement-park-opens-may-4

Edited by HWFan

I was also told that Pat will be absent from the park this summer. She's been a huge part of the park for decades and now this. Dan better win that appeal this summer...

EDIT: The source from this is from one of Dan's best friends.

Edited by HWFan

It is too bad about the Timber Liners. It is however an example of how awesome Holiday World is for even being the first to consider them (risky move) and even help GC test them, all for our future benefit. This project is just taking a bit longer, whereas Pilgrim's Plunge and Wilde Beast as new concepts, worked out really well. The fact that they even considered these projects in the first place is fantastic.

I definitely see amazing things coming given their track record, even a mega lite potentially?

Sure, HW has some phenomenal rides, but the primary reason why they are so adored throughout Indiana and the enthusiast community is their emphasis on family and friendliness. Hell, the HW brand is synonymous with these core values. Pat Koch was the embodiment of these values, and without her daily influence in the park, I fear the direction in which HW could be heading.

"As Pat Koch goes, so goes Holiday World."

I do have to say, one thing that impressed me about HWon my very first trip and every one since, is how every morning around opening time Pat and Will then later on Dan would be standing out front watching the crowds roll in, or how during the day you'd be walking through the park and out of the blue there would be Pat with a broom and dustpan sweeping up. This is the only park I know of where someone equal to her position would be doing that.... I bet the CEOs of the big chain amusement parks would throw a hissy fit like a little school girl if someone handed them a broom and dustpan and told them to go sweep in the park for a few hours. Holiwood NIghts will definetly not be as much fun without Dan and Pat there! I'm thinking we should chain ourselves to the voyage and start chanting "Bring Pat Back!"

I do have to say, one thing that impressed me about HWon my very first trip and every one since, is how every morning around opening time Pat and Will then later on Dan would be standing out front watching the crowds roll in, or how during the day you'd be walking through the park and out of the blue there would be Pat with a broom and dustpan sweeping up. This is the only park I know of where someone equal to her position would be doing that.... I bet the CEOs of the big chain amusement parks would throw a hissy fit like a little school girl if someone handed them a broom and dustpan and told them to go sweep in the park for a few hours. Holiwood NIghts will definetly not be as much fun without Dan and Pat there! I'm thinking we should chain ourselves to the voyage and start chanting "Bring Pat Back!"

Actually, SFGAm park president Hank Salemi is often out sweeping garbage at opening time right at the front gates, and also greets people leaving at closing time, again with dustpan and broom in hand. I think it's great these higher ups do this!

every morning around opening time Pat and Will then later on Dan would be standing out front watching the crowds roll in, or how during the day you'd be walking through the park and out of the blue there would be Pat with a broom and dustpan sweeping up.

Pat has done that for years, I love it. In shorts and a yellow shirt, no ties or business suits. Nice!

I do have to say, one thing that impressed me about HWon my very first trip and every one since, is how every morning around opening time Pat and Will then later on Dan would be standing out front watching the crowds roll in, or how during the day you'd be walking through the park and out of the blue there would be Pat with a broom and dustpan sweeping up. This is the only park I know of where someone equal to her position would be doing that.... I bet the CEOs of the big chain amusement parks would throw a hissy fit like a little school girl if someone handed them a broom and dustpan and told them to go sweep in the park for a few hours.

I didn't see Dick Knoebel cleaning up trash per se, but after he gave us our tour with the GCI guys he was out and about all night, riding around and checking up on guests and the like from his golf cart. It really did make me happy to see him roll by a few times, and I imagine seeing Pat around the park is the same! Hopefully we won't be seeing less of her in the coming years - Holiday World always looked to me like Kennywood, in a way, and that's definitely a place I wouldn't want to see become overly commercialized and lose its family appeal.

Actually, SFGAm park president Hank Salemi is often out sweeping garbage at opening time right at the front gates, and also greets people leaving at closing time, again with dustpan and broom in hand. I think it's great these higher ups do this!

SFSTL's park president does this too. That really shows that they like their job and are not to arrogant to help everywhere.

It is too bad about the Timber Liners. It is however an example of how awesome Holiday World is for even being the first to consider them (risky move) and even help GC test them, all for our future benefit.

Wooden Warrior has timberliners

It is too bad about the Timber Liners. It is however an example of how awesome Holiday World is for even being the first to consider them (risky move) and even help GC test them, all for our future benefit.

Wooden Warrior has timberliners

He technically is correct in saying that HW was the first to announce them, just waiting on TGG to get them running.

And don't forget Twister at Grona Lund!