TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

For those of us who don't keep constant tabs on the park, would someone be kind enough to post a brief summary of the Timberliner train situation from the beginning? My understanding is that the trains were first announced for the 2010 season and have been "testing" ever since... What on earth could possibly be taking this long? Do we have any idea what the problem(s) is / are? And if it's just a matter of testing, why can't the park keep the ride closed for the first few weeks of the season, finish testing, and roll them out before the busy summer season?

^I got you covered.

2009: Timberliners announced

2010: Timberliners show up and start testing, but as they were prototypes, they had a lot of kinks to work out that kept the trains grounded the whole season.

2011: Holiday World decided to wait to hear how the Timberliners performed elsewhere (Wooden Warrior and Twister). Reports were good, so they kept the project going.

2012: Gravity Kraft built updated Timberliners made just for the Voyage, but they weren't going to be delivered in time to finish testing for the season, so they are held off again. Testing resumes at the start of the off-season

2013: Apparently all the testing that happened over the fall and spring wasn't enough for Holiday World to give them the green light, so they are being held off again.

This is all very interesting. TopThrill182 I agree with you. If it really is just a matter of testing, why can't Holiday World just keep the Voyage closed for the first 2 to 3 weekends to finish testing? There's probably a lot of other information we don't know. As I said in my last post, I am just glad that the Voyage is already an incredible ride as it is.

Patience is a virtue, people.

Well that's too bad, but thanks for keeping us in the loop, Paula. Hopefully, the bugs will get worked out in the future.

That being said, I am now in the infancy stages of planning a trip there the second week of June during the week. Hope the weather is nice because I am definitely pumped to visit this park for the first time ever!

Well, it's unfortunate that Voyage's new trains will be delayed another year, but I guess that is how it goes. If the trains aren't ready, I'd rather see the kinks worked out than see the trains rushed into service and result in frequent breakdowns during the season. I would be very surprised if they aren't ready for 2014, however, especially since Hades will be using a Timberliner train this year. I haven't been on Hades, but I've got a feeling if the trains run fine on that ride they won't have any problems on Voyage.

^Unlikely, at best. I don't think GCI will build trains for coasters built by other companies.

Actually, they can-

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=trains

Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly.

Please contact us for more information.

^So, they have to meet "certain standards." I remember them saying that they wouldn't build trains for other companies during a tour a few years ago but either 1) I'm mistaken or 2) they've changed their policy (most likely the former).

Well, it's unfortunate that Voyage's new trains will be delayed another year, but I guess that is how it goes. If the trains aren't ready, I'd rather see the kinks worked out than see the trains rushed into service and result in frequent breakdowns during the season. I would be very surprised if they aren't ready for 2014, however, especially since Hades will be using a Timberliner train this year. I haven't been on Hades, but I've got a feeling if the trains run fine on that ride they won't have any problems on Voyage.

That's what is bothering me. If they are on Hades this season, why is the Voyage drastically different? Are Hades' trains not the same as Voyage's?

^So, they have to meet "certain standards." I remember them saying that they wouldn't build trains for other companies during a tour a few years ago but either 1) I'm mistaken or 2) they've changed their policy (most likely the former).

I think it just means if a park is willing to give them a giant rehab gig they'll happily sell them the trains in addition to getting the ride up to their standards. For my money, rehabbing other companies' rides is still GCI's sweet spot. Example: Boulder Dash.

I haven't been on Hades, but I've got a feeling if the trains run fine on that ride they won't have any problems on Voyage.

That's what is bothering me. If they are on Hades this season, why is the Voyage drastically different? Are Hades' trains not the same as Voyage's?

I think that the reason why Hades will run with the new trains is due to the 360 transformation. Aren't they re-tracking the entire ride in addition to the corkscrew and over-banked turn?

With the usual disclaimer - if you just plop the Timberliner trains on a track that's already worn down, the experience isn't going to be any better, and the trains will wear down more quickly due to the worse condition of the track. I'm pretty sure that's why the Millennium Flyers apparently didn't improve Gwazi that much as well. I think that it would be super-awesome for Holiday World to at least replace all the top-layer steel that the trains run on before installing the Timberliners, as long as the wood is still in good shape.

One thing to remember is that they can't test the Timberliners while the park is open every day since they have to completely reprogram the PLC to recognize the different brake fin configuration.

Should the timberliners not make the cut, the trains on Outlaw Run are really nice and I think would work very nice on Voyage. I mean, they do go upside down not to mention 90 degrees.

(And while you're at it, maybe RMC can take a look at the ride and smooth it out a bit!)

Edited by chadster

This is dissapointing news ): I just want to keep the Voyage running in the best shape it can, and in the most economical way possible too (for the park's sake, since we all love Holiday World!) I haven't been to HW since 2010, and Voyage is a confident top 3 ride in my book. I'm worried that it will slip out of my favorites if the PTC trains continue to eat into the track and the park can't keep up with the track work on the very long ride. I know these feelings are mutual since both the park reps and the fans post on this board often, so it's an awkward subject that we're talking about 3 seasons later without Timberliners.

One thing to remember is that they can't test the Timberliners while the park is open every day since they have to completely reprogram the PLC to recognize the different brake fin configuration.

Once everything has been programmed, it's all plug and play.

Coming all the way over from Holland to ride the coaster this year! Can't wait to test the Voyage, Legend and Raven for myself.

Too bad about the timberliners not running this year, really liked them on Wooden Warrior in 2011

You are not mistaken, GCI has changed their policy.

A little upset that the Timberliners won't be on the Voyage this year, I was looking forward to trying them out, oh well, it's better to make sure they are perfect instead of slapping them on their and having tons of problems.