TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Holiday World has sent us a press release about its latest honor from the Golden Ticket awards.

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari’s two water coasters took top honors during this weekend’s Golden Ticket Awards ceremony, held at Dollywood theme park.

For the third year in a row, Holiday World’s Wildebeest water coaster was named the World’s #1 Waterpark Ride. This top honor was announced by Amusement Today magazine, which presented the results of its annual survey of the “best of the best” in the amusement park industry during the annual Golden Ticket Awards ceremony.

In addition, Holiday World’s new water coaster, Mammoth, was named the Best New Waterpark Ride of 2012. Mammoth, the world’s longest water coaster, was lauded by park guests and news media alike this season, with coverage on the Travel Channel, CNN.com, ABCNews.com, the Los Angeles Times, plus Forbes and Wired magazines.

“With so many amazing rides around the world, it’s an incredible honor to have our Mammoth and Wildebeest named the very best,” says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari’s president, Dan Koch.

For the thirteenth consecutive year, Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari were named the #1 Cleanest Park, outranking such parks as Disney World, Kings Island, Dollywood, and Cedar Point.

“For this award, we thank our wonderful Hosts and Hostesses,” says Koch. “They worked together all summer long in record heat to keep our parks clean.”

Amusement Today is an international monthly trade journal for the amusement and water park industries, based in Arlington, Texas. The Golden Ticket Awards are determined by surveys submitted by well-traveled park enthusiasts from around the world.

Holiday World will reopen to the public for six additional weekends starting Saturday, September 22, including the new Happy Halloween Weekends event during October. For more information, visit the parks’ website at HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

Holiday World has sent us a press release about its latest honor from the Golden Ticket awards.

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari’s two water coasters took top honors during this weekend’s Golden Ticket Awards ceremony, held at Dollywood theme park.

For the third year in a row, Holiday World’s Wildebeest water coaster was named the World’s #1 Waterpark Ride. This top honor was announced by Amusement Today magazine, which presented the results of its annual survey of the “best of the best” in the amusement park industry during the annual Golden Ticket Awards ceremony.

In addition, Holiday World’s new water coaster, Mammoth, was named the Best New Waterpark Ride of 2012. Mammoth, the world’s longest water coaster, was lauded by park guests and news media alike this season, with coverage on the Travel Channel, CNN.com, ABCNews.com, the Los Angeles Times, plus Forbes and Wired magazines.

“With so many amazing rides around the world, it’s an incredible honor to have our Mammoth and Wildebeest named the very best,” says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari’s president, Dan Koch.

For the thirteenth consecutive year, Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari were named the #1 Cleanest Park, outranking such parks as Disney World, Kings Island, Dollywood, and Cedar Point.

“For this award, we thank our wonderful Hosts and Hostesses,” says Koch. “They worked together all summer long in record heat to keep our parks clean.”

Amusement Today is an international monthly trade journal for the amusement and water park industries, based in Arlington, Texas. The Golden Ticket Awards are determined by surveys submitted by well-traveled park enthusiasts from around the world.

Holiday World will reopen to the public for six additional weekends starting Saturday, September 22, including the new Happy Halloween Weekends event during October. For more information, visit the parks’ website at HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

Love how they don't mention Voyage getting #2 on the wooden list.

But whatever, congrats on the water park wins.

I got to visit this year and while Mammoth was fun, Wildebeast had an out-of-control feeling. It felt more like a coaster.

Love how they don't mention Voyage getting #2 on the wooden list.

If we included the categories in which we placed second, it would be wooden coaster, water park and friendliest (oh, plus Raven was #8 and Legend #18, etc.). We decided to stick with the actual Golden Tickets for the news release rather than list every mention we received.

Edited by jedimaster1227

After visiting Holiday World in Late July, I must commend them for keeping such a fine water park. My only gripe about it: I got so wet from riding both Wilderbeest and Mammoth that my wristwatch shorted out (it did say "water resistant", but I guess it wasn't "water-proof"). So I'll keep my wristwatch inside the locker on future trips.

So, Holiday World, you won several Golden Ticket awards, got some great roller coaster and some great water coasters, plus some excellent rides and shows; the next question is - what are you going to do next?

"I don't know, so why don't you come here and sleep on me for a while?"

Any chance for an adult steel coaster anytime soon?

I think that's in their short list of things. This one would be great - and it satisfies 2 requirements they have for a steel looping coaster. Lap bars and a 42" height requirement:

484185_200136173445356_1945559798_n.jpg

Imagine if they got Gerstlauer to build a close-to-duplicate of Mind Bender I wouldn't have to go to SFOG for a long time. It's perfect = little intensity here and there, ride-able, *real* air time, etc...

PLUS!!! It would give Holiday World a "family coaster" - something the park really needs!

• 2 weeks later...

^ "Hey, I can dig that!"

Of course, if Holiday World did decide to put in another ride or another area related to a theme (I'm still rooting for Easter), then where would they put it? I wonder if Holiday world has any more spare land around that is begging for something to be built upon, or (say it so, Joe!)will they have to take something out so they can put something else in?

Here's another thought: methinks that Holiday World, after putting in two awesome water coasters that'll get you so wet it'll short out your water resistant watch and a fun swing ride, may wait until 2014 before they even think of putting in another attraction. The park is just AWESOME!!! just as it is.

But all this is just speculation on my part. I will have to wait and see, wait and see . . .

"I can make it easier for you to wait, just lie on me and go to sleep. When you wake up, a few hours has passed and you're closer to whatever announcement Holiday World might make in the future. If that doesn't work, then go back to sleep until it does.

• 2 weeks later...
...you do realize how large of a portion of "Holiday World" that Holidog's Funtown is, don't you?

Yeah, I looked again at a park map, and that's only big enough space for a wild mouse or a half-pipe coaster.

Anyway, the station could be located near Pilgrims Plunge, head towards the Holidog's Fun Town area, have a cool element (loop, corkscrew, double-barrel roll) right next to the road, then head back and have a long section in the empty area behind the Voyage.

Possible Names

-aMAIZEing Adventure

-Mashed Potatoes Mambo

-The Indian Ceremony

-Cornball Craziness

LOL Holiday World you really chose a bad holiday to expand on

Better Ride Names

-Virginian Velocity

-Plymouth Rock Rumble

-The Hunting

• 2 weeks later...

From Holiday World's Email Newsletter:

We have lots in store for you next year and can't wait to share news of the additions headed our way. That's right, we said additions. Do we have your attention yet?

Stay tuned for the 2013 reveal - something for each park, plus the re-naming of a major ride. We'll have the update in next week's newsletter (if you'd like to know sooner, watch our website and Facebook page for the announcement Tuesday).

What do you think they could be renaming?

Rename the Voyage when it gets the new Timberliners?

I wouldn't expect anything major -- just a couple of weeks ago Dan Koch was quoted as saying:

"We did a great big project for 2012, so there may not be a big project in 2013," Koch said. "But I promise you, there are big, big projects coming for 2014, 2015 and 2016. They are already on the drawing board, but I am sworn to secrecy."