TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

In my opinion, I think Holiday World is impressed with how smooth Voyage is with the Timberliners, but I think they are worried about the lack of airtime the train will give throughout the course? I'm not sure how heavy the trains are, but the lighter the trains, the slower it will go during the hills, thus, creating a sort-of mild ride.

Keep in mind that all roller coaster trains, no matter the weight, accelerate at (relatively) the same rate under gravity. Yes, the trains are lighter, which equals less momentum overall, then you factor in air resistance, friction, track state etc. All affect the train's performance.

From what I've seen in all the test videos so far, the timberliners look to be a little slower, but not by much. Re-tracking the majority of the ride should help a lot. Timberliners or not, re-tracking needs to happen anyway. My rides on the Voyage this season were the bone-jarring and very uncomfortable.

Edited by SFOGdude25

^ I found which car you were in made a big difference. If you eneded up in the old rear car right left seat, the ride was pretty great still, other seats/ new cars made it pretty awful. Speaking of which, the Raven train that was on Voyage last season is running REALLY smooth on Raven now.

Wow... I was next in line after Dan and didn't even realize that's who that was... Definitely noticed that Mark Rose was giving them a hands on tour of the ride though!

EDIT: Looking at that photo, those are my feet! The white Nike's belonging to the person in the blue shirt are mine!

Edited by jedimaster1227

Wow... I was next in line after Dan and didn't even realize that's who that was... Definitely noticed that Mark Rose was giving them a hands on tour of the ride though!

EDIT: Looking at that photo, those are my feet! The white Nike's belonging to the person in the blue shirt are mine!

LOL! Your feet are now famous on the HoliBlog! I think this qualifies you for some sort of prize!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely looking forward to getting back on Raven/Legend next year and The Voyage for the first time. I never could imagine a wood coaser being more intense than Legend at SRM 2001, so The Voyage seems totally up my alley.

I'm not sure if I want those Timberliners to be ready to go or not. LOL I don't want a bone jarring ride, but I would still like to experience the ride that others have for all these years

^If you were to ride it as is now, you definitely will not be getting the experience that it was when it first opened. I think I originally had it in my top five when I first rode it, but it has steadily dropped on my wood coaster ranking and didn't even rate in my top third after this year. It is now only a bone jarring ride. I probably won't even bother to ride it next year unless they get the Timberliners on it.

^If you were to ride it as is now, you definitely will not be getting the experience that it was when it first opened. I think I originally had it in my top five when I first rode it, but it has steadily dropped on my wood coaster ranking and didn't even rate in my top third after this year. It is now only a bone jarring ride. I probably won't even bother to ride it next year unless they get the Timberliners on it.

Wow, wasn't aware if that was bad. I assume it's not a maintenance issue with HW, just the simple fact that the intensity of the ride beats the crap out of the trains and track?

^My personal experience went like this. I first visited Holiday World in spring of 2009, and thought Voyage was a great, intense ride that didn't beat you to death. It made my top ten. But in August 2010, I got off Voyage wondering, "What the hell happened to this thing?" It dropped from no. 8 to no. 31 (one behind Legend).

Maybe it's an "early season/late season" issue?

I just went this last weekend on the 24th, Saturday I believe. First time to the park, and it was definitely raining a lot. But this kinda made me excited, considering the possibility of short lines, as well as the intensity of the coasters coasters all completely saturated.

My brother and I, and he's a member of the GP, were both convinced that the coasters were best, right off the bat in the morning, during the brunt of the heavy rain. Raven was running great, and Legend surprised me because i was expecting a terrible ride. It seemed to be tracking well and the front had some good airtime. As the day went on, Legend and Voyage got rougher and resulted in a few headaches for my Brother, with just a few minor disturbances of my own.

As for The Voyage, this coaster is definitely in my top ten now. I must admit that my coaster count is only in the lower 100s with predominately steel makeup. So this probably explains my lack of similar opinion to everyone before me. The first two rides of the day, in the early morning were the best.

As the coaster got warmed up, it got much rougher. It's true that it suffers from jack-hammering around lots of the curves, and during the lower portion of the first, second, and third drop. It also seems to have constant vibration through out the remainder of the course after the break-run. There was one really bad "pot hole" traveling up the 2nd hill as well. But the layout is impressive and completely out of control. The terrain and woods makes its course even better. I hope to go back next year, and I am praying for the timberliners to be on track for the 2012 season. A coaster like this should be preserved.

I visited Holiday World for the first time last August and had a wonderful time. I've only recently become an 'enthusiast' and never thought I'd find such a great park in my home state.

I personally didn't think Voyage was too rough. I can't compare it to its opening season, but for a wooden coaster of its size I thought it wasn't too bad. It certainly could be smoother though, and I hope they get the timberliners eventually. But in a way I almost liked the roughness. Some seats are better than others, but as long as it doesn't cause me physical pain, I feel it adds character to the ride. I couldn't even keep my hands up on Voyage once we reached the twisted turnaround, it feels so out of control.

So how about this "vertical swing ride" from Zamperla? Nice to see an upgraded flat in addition to Mammoth!

"Two more weekends to take a “Midnight Ride”

New For 2012: Vertical Swing Ride!After providing 33 years of laughs and thrills, Paul Revere's Midnight Ride will retire at the end of this season. The Everly Aircraft Company based in Salem, Oregon, originally built the Spider for Santa Claus Land where it debuted alongside what is now known as Lewis & Clark Trail in 1978. Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride will saunter into the sunset at closing time on Sunday, October 9, giving you two weekends to enjoy a few last spins before it disappears for good.

As we say goodbye to one ride, we’re already planning for another. We’re adding a 65’ Vertical Swing Ride! This new ride has the same 36” height limit as the ride it’s replacing, so smaller children can ride with their families. We’ll have more information about this fun new ride in the coming weeks. "

New For 2012: Sparkler vertical swing ride!

Nice to see a park that cares about replacing a ride with the same height restriction ride.

Agreed! And the more modest height is still going to be thrilling to smaller people... or those of us who are legitimately scared of heights without being overwhelmed.

I'll probably never ride a true Star Flyer, but I'll try this thing out at some point.

I wonder how much of a difference (if any) there is between the mini star flyer and the full sized version. To me it looks like the same seats and restraints are used so you wouldn't think the height requirements are any different. Regardless this looks to be another great addition to a great park.

Looks like this will be fantastic addition to the park. It is awesome that they are keeping the height restriction the same as the ride being removed. I wish more parks thought along these lines when replacing/removing/adding attractions.

As for Voyage, there is no question that it has gotten extremely rough the past two years. However I find that in the front row the ride is still very enjoyable.