TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I would love to see a water park finally install an amusement park style ride like a log flume or a river rapids ride or a water coaster in a water park. It would be a perfect fit for a busy park, huge capacity, thrilling and fun ride, and you still get wet! I personally love water rides at amusement parks but hate getting wet and feeling miserable all day. A really good River Rapids Ride in a water park would be the perfect fit (although it doesn't look like that is happening here, I'm hoping it will eventually in the future).

My official guess is that it will be a huge slide, possibly taking the worlds longest water coaster slide record away from Wildebeast, which I guess might as well be a an amusement park ride in a water park.

Holiday World has put out a press release regarding Mammoth, their 2012 expansion project!

The largest single-ride investment in Holiday World’s history is announced today: The World’s Longest Water Coaster will open in Splashin' Safari next May.

“We added Wildebeest water coaster last year and it was a runaway hit,” says park president Dan Koch. “So we asked our designers for something even bigger. It’s so huge, we’re calling it Mammoth.”

Located east of Wildebeest, Mammoth will begin with a conveyor ride up the water coaster’s lifthill. Following the five-story drop at a 45-degree angle, linear induction motors (LIMs) will propel the six-person round boats up additional hills, into dark enclosed sections and through twists and turns. Mammoth will cover three acres, increasing the water park’s size to 30 acres.

“The new twist to this water coaster is the six-passenger boats—this is a brand-new design,” says Koch. “These round boats add tremendous capacity, plus riders may be facing forward, backward or even sideways. It’s all the fun of Wildebeest, plus Mammoth is taller, longer and wider. Starting next season we’ll have the two longest water coasters on the planet!”

Mammoth’s tallest elevation is 69 feet higher than its lowest drop. The conveyor-style lifthill replaces any slide-tower stairs, making the water coaster accessible to riders who might have difficulty walking up stairs.

Today’s announcement, on the 65th anniversary of the park’s opening as Santa Claus Land, marks the largest single-ride investment in the park’s history. Koch says the price tag for Mammoth is $9 million. In addition, Koch announced that the park’s 2012 season will be extended to include a family-friendly event called Holiday World’s Happy Halloween Weekends throughout the month of October.

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are open daily through August 16 and most weekends through October 9. For more information and to view Mammoth animation videos, visit the parks’ website at http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

MAMMOTH FACT SHEET

DESCRIPTION:Mammoth will be the World’s Longest Water Coaster when it opens in May 2012. Using HydroMagnetic technology, the six-person boats will fly up a series of hills utilizing linear induction motors (LIMs). The water coaster begins with a 300-foot conveyor ride “lifthill,” followed by a five-story drop at a 45-degree angle. The drenching ride includes a total of six drops, adding up to 282 feet of total “drop.” Mammoth’s length is the greatest of any water coaster in the world: 1,763 feet, a third of a mile.

FEATURES: Located in Splashin' Safari, Mammoth begins with a conveyor ride up the water coaster’s lifthill. Following the 53-foot drop at a 45-degree angle, linear induction motors (LIMs) propel the six-person round boats up five additional hills, through five enclosed sections and around twists and turns.

TECHNOLOGY: HydroMagnetic technology utilizes LIMs to propel Mammoth’s boats up the water coaster’s hills. An alternating magnetic field beneath the slide surface propels the boats, pushing them rapidly and smoothly uphill. LIM technology is a popular feature in some steel roller coasters.

WORLD RECORD LENGTH: Mammoth’s length is 1,763 feet (1/3 of a mile), making it the World’s Longest Water Coaster. (The park’s Wildebeest water coaster will fall to the #2 position when Mammoth opens.)

RIDE LENGTH: 1,753 feet, the World’s Longest Water Coaster.

DROPS/ANGLES: The first drop is 53 feet, at a 45-degree angle. Together with five additional drops, combined length of the “drops” is 282 feet.

RIDE HEIGHT: Mammoth is 69 feet tall, from the lowest to the highest heights.

SPEED: To be determined during Spring 2012 testing.

RIDE TIME: To be determined during Spring 2012 testing.

RIDE VIDEO: http://www.holidayworld.com/rides/mammoth

FOOTPRINT: Mammoth covers approximately three acres in Splashin' Safari.

RAFTS: 10 six-passenger round boats with individual seatbacks.

STAIRS: None! Riders begin at ground level and ride up a conveyor.

CAPACITY/HEIGHT LIMIT: 1,080 Guests per hour. Riders must be at least 42 inches tall to ride and 48 inches tall to ride without an adult. Weight limit is 1,080 pounds per boat.

INVESTMENT: $9 million, the largest ride project in Holiday World’s 65-year history.

RIDE DESIGNER: ProSlide Technology Inc., Ontario, Canada.

http://www.holidayworld.com/rides/mammoth

Coming in 2012! What’s the largest animal found on the safari? Lion? Gorilla? Elephant? Think back further in time … it was the great and powerful Mammoth. This immense beast once ruled the safari … and now he rules Splashin’ Safari!

Our Wildebeest claimed the title of World’s Longest Water Coaster when it opened in 2010. But Wildebeest bows to the mighty Mammoth and turns over the title. For Mammoth is taller and longer and wider..

Wider? That’s right. Mammoth boats will be new six-passenger boats. Round boats. Nine feet in diameter, flying up and down hills in the 15-foot-wide slide. That means your thrilling trek on the World’s Longest Water Slide may be facing forward, facing sideways, or facing backwards.

Facing backwards? Yes, and in the dark. There are five enclosed slide sections. And many twists and turns. Plus air-time, that incredible feeling of being lifted off your seat. What powers these six-passenger boats up the hills? As with Wildebeest, we use Linear Induction Motor (LIM) technology. In total, eight LIMs will magically propel the boats on their way through this 1/3 mile, air-time filled water coaster.

Just as with Wildebeest, the massive Mammoth begins with a conveyor ride up the water coaster’s lifthill. Following the breath-taking five-story drop at a 28-degree angle, LIMs will fly your boats back up hill after air-time-filled hill.

Mammoth will tower seven stories from highest to lowest point and cover more than two acres.

With bright yellow, round, six-passenger boats, your whole family will be able to challenge Mammoth together – and watch each other’s delighted faces as you conquer this epic ride together.

Opening May 2012, Mammoth – the World’s Longest Water Coaster – rules!

RIDE FACTS

Type: HydroMagnetic Water Coaster

Height: 69 feet

Length: 1/3 mile (1,763 feet)

Highest Drop: 53’ at 28-degree angle

Drops: 6 drops, totaling 282’

Linear Induction Motors: 8, including the world’s longest LIM on a water-coaster

World Record: World’s Longest Water Coaster (Wildebeest is #2)

Boats: Six-passenger round boats

Theme: Mammoth, the immense beast which once ruled the safari

Designer: ProSlide Technology Inc., Ontario, Canada

TIPS FOR YOUR VISIT

Weight limit is 1,080 pounds per boat.

Mammoth does not have any slide-tower stairs, so it’s accessible to folks who have difficulty with stairs.

Hold on tight!

Additional Photos found at: http://www.facebook.com/HolidayWorld

Mammoth POV

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Mammoth_POV_kpxv[/coastertube]

Mammoth Offride Footage

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Mammoth_Offride_wni7[/coastertube]

Mammoth Aerial Footage

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Mammoth_Aerial_30gl[/coastertube]

Mammoth Footage Compilation

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Mammoth_Compilation_056c[/coastertube]

All photos and video courtesy of Holiday World!

mm_header.jpg.38c85ff441999f43edc897c4ffab02db.jpg

249199_10150253283644538_35385539537_7599140_5951643_n.jpg.cdf4cb948af0c8c79b40db9567153264.jpg

MAMMOTH - World's Longest Water Coaster - with 6-passenger, round boats. HUGE capacity and mammoth amounts of fun!

185577_10150253292539538_35385539537_7599197_3334058_n.jpg.2737f1edd793f9447a3f344bb9a5324e.jpg

Trying out one of the MAMMOTH boats.

253274_10150253314174538_35385539537_7599326_4649385_n.jpg.908e5693a0ddea764bd7fad64a65d9cc.jpg

Dan broke ground and now TV news crews are interviewing him.

Mammoth01_full.jpeg.ff89c6d77e0f0efc28c6e5d8db460317.jpeg

New in 2012: The World’s Longest Water Coaster! With bright yellow, round, six-passenger boats, your whole family will be able to challenge Mammoth together!

Mammoth02_full.jpg.2d2e18c7012d77643a98a018a4e03fa5.jpg

Mammoth03_full.jpg.a9fe0a4f69a12fc2a403c583c6fc1dfc.jpg

Mammoth04_full.jpg.bbfcc1f2d16c2faf35fb5ae4ad67ccd7.jpg

Mammoth05_full.jpg.56da46c619a85cf96ee14a330738cf6c.jpg

Mammoth06_full.jpg.e3868e253a8fd44ae82775b0331b0577.jpg

Mammoth07_full.jpg.6833f234bc1d1eac4cb05cd4f0100235.jpg

Mammoth08_full.jpg.5922b32c5feddb2c1b2dc9e893940db0.jpg

Mammoth09_full.jpg.6551d3ad8fbbabd4da65f41662e36f2b.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Holiday World will open the world's longest water coaster in Splashin' Safari next May.

Announced today — the 65th anniversary of the park opening as Santa Claus Land — the 1,763-foot Mammoth's $9 million price tag is the park's largest single-ride investment to date. The park's Wildebeest water coaster will drop to second-largest.

The ride will start with a conveyor lift up the first 300-foot hill — making it more accessible for those who would have trouble with stairs. The six-person boats then plunge five stories down a 45-degree drop then cruise along more hills, turns and tunnels. The elevation will change 69 feet during the Mammoth's route. The 3-acre ride will bring the park's total size to 30 acres.

Riders must be at least 42 inches tall to ride, and 48 inches tall to ride without an adult. The Mammoth was designed by ProSlide Technology Inc. from Ontario, Canada.

Holiday World is open daily through Aug. 16 and most weekends through Aug. 16.

Link

Edited by deathbydinn

This ride looks fantastic. I absolutely loved everything about Wildebeest and now an even longer version that will offer different experiences every time you ride is going to be awesome. This is a great addition to the park.

Edited by jmicha

Is it being made by proslide? I didn't see that in the press release.

Riders must be at least 42 inches tall to ride, and 48 inches tall to ride without an adult. The Mammoth was designed by ProSlide Technology Inc. from Ontario, Canada.

It is surprising, since HW's waterpark season is fairly short. Heck, when I was growing up, Burdette park had like two small body slides, and that was it. I recall shivering in pools in June. Now, HW has a waterpark that beats MANY parks in much warmer climates.

How many rafts are on Wildebeast at one time? This thing is absolutely going to eat people, for a waterslide.

I haven't been to HW in a few years, but if the waterpark is more crowded enough to justify $16 million in investment in two years, I shudder to think how crowded the lockers and pathways are now.

-RO

Geez, between this and Hershey it seems like no one wants new rides if they aren't exactly what they want...

Wildebeest was one of the most amazing rides I've ever been on- among my group of 3 friends I brought to HW, Kings Island, and Cedar Point, 2 said Wildebeest was their favorite of the entire trip. I'm really excited to see ProSlide and Holiday World continuing to innovate these water coasters, and hope I can get out there again soon to try it out.

Although I haven't been to Holiday World in a few years, the rides side always seemed to empty out when the water park opened up. Whether this is now a self-fulfilling prophecy with the continued addition of water rides is an interesting question. For my part, I'd like to see the rides side get some love in the near future. Reports of Voyage running more smoothly with the new trains would be more likely to get me to make the 400 mile round trip than the addition of a new water ride.

Look's Fantastic, can't wait to ride. Will be a great Capacity machine for Splashi'n Safari , it need's that. Not what I was thinking, but I look forward to it already.

Edited by ratdogg68

Personally, I think Wildebeest is the best ride period at Holiday World, and being as it draws a huge line, adding another water coaster with more capacity makes sense. I hope Water Country in Williamsburg installs a ride like this someday.