TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

If they are going to go looping, then Intamin is not a bad choice, lift hill or launch. They would have to give up hopes of a number one steel if they went that route. In my opinion it is possible to get to number one with over the shoulder restraints, but you have to have at least double the budget, and know what you are doing, and even then there are no gurantees. However, if they can go launch, then maybe they can just afford an Intamin Hyper straight up. Bizzaro keeps its number one ranking not because its layout is so great that its unbeatable, but they are just not building anymore like it. It should not be hard to beat it even if you did not go as high and fast. This kind of ride is more unique, better quality, and the route to the top of the charts.

I am planning a visit to Holiday World July 5th and 6th and was just wondering if this is a bad time as far as crowds go because of the Holiday weekend, the fifth and sixth are a Tue and Wed and I figured crowds normally might be a little less crowded on these days versus the weekend. Also I think we will stay at the Marriott in Evansville Indiana since I have a gift card so I was wondering if anyone knew of good reasonably priced dining in the area plus advise on seeing the park, on it's web site it says the rollercoaster rides are longer in the morning because everyone heads to those first is this true, would the lines actually get shorter later in the day? Thanks for any and all advices on touring this park, we are huge coaster fans!

At Six Flags in St. Louis there are roller coasters that you are not allowed to take your purse or backpack on and they don't have little cubby holes to put your things in so you are forced to pay for a locker to ride it unless you have a friend who can hold your things for you. I was just wondering what Holiday World does, do the have cubbies or do you have to pay for a locker. Thanks

I am planning a visit to Holiday World July 5th and 6th and was just wondering if this is a bad time as far as crowds go because of the Holiday weekend, the fifth and sixth are a Tue and Wed and I figured crowds normally might be a little less crowded on these days versus the weekend. Also I think we will stay at the Marriott in Evansville Indiana since I have a gift card so I was wondering if anyone knew of good reasonably priced dining in the area plus advise on seeing the park, on it's web site it says the rollercoaster rides are longer in the morning because everyone heads to those first is this true, would the lines actually get shorter later in the day? Thanks for any and all advices on touring this park, we are huge coaster fans!

At Six Flags in St. Louis there are roller coasters that you are not allowed to take your purse or backpack on and they don't have little cubby holes to put your things in so you are forced to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to ride it unless you have a friend who can hold your things for you. I was just wondering what Holiday World does, do the have cubbies or do you have to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. Thanks

I merged both of your questions into the proper thread. Please, ask any further questions you have about the park here.

Edited by ernierocker

Must resist urge to fire off a string of Jay Cutler jokes. Must resist urge to fire off a string of Jay Cutler jokes. Must resist urge to fire off a string of Jay Cutler jokes.....

I do wish Holiday World the best with the event though!

Hopefully the money he raises doesn't get intercepted.

Done!

Have to say, while I'd prefer to see something like EGF being built, the GP loves inversions too much, and I do think that a steel coaster without inversions would be seen as "inferior" by most of the people that come to the park. Maybe they can build an Olympia Looping clone...

dt

^I agree! I mentioned that I love Schwarzies. I'm such a nerd.

In all honesty, I think a steel terrain coaster would work great. If they understand the wants of the public, given the recent trends, it will probably be some kind of launched, lowlying coaster with some inversions, hopefully in the woods. I'm thinking either X-car-ish or an Intamin.

I think a good steel coaster without inversions will keep with their "family-friendly" theme. A ride you can go on with your parents when you're 11-15 and still have a good time on. If they do have inversions, I'd like to see it limited to one or two "good" inversions.

I think it would be awesome to theme a steel intamin to Santa's sleigh do acrobatics through the air...

Done!

Have to say, while I'd prefer to see something like EGF being built, the GP loves inversions too much, and I do think that a steel coaster without inversions would be seen as "inferior" by most of the people that come to the park. Maybe they can build an Olympia Looping clone...

dt

Hahahaha I mentioned that they should buy Olympia Looping at the end of my survey! Clearly this is the direction they should head...

Personally, I think it would be foolish for anyone to think ONE steel coaster would complete the HW coaster collection. There are too many types that do too many things to have one coaster that does them all. Whatever HW decides to build, it needs to do something never seen before, because that is what we've come to expect over the last decade...And quite honestly, if they are going to listen to the enthusiast community like they did when they built Voyage, then whatever they build really SHOULD be a top twenty coaster.

Though, Again, Olympia Looping would fit in VERY well to the park.

I filled it out. Suggested what I thought would be best for the park, not for myself personally.

For the park I suggested a small Intamin launched coaster with inversions. Think Kanonen at Liseberg. I mentioned that if they were against using Intamin they check out Drivliet's Formule X as that ride was really awesome and surprised a bunch of us.

I took the survey at Holiwood Nights and put down a Intamin Mega-lite. I think that type of ride would be perfect for Holiday World. But a ride with inversions wouldn't be bad also, maybe a invert or something. Whatever Holiday World decides to do, it is going to be awesome.

I think a park with a variety of wooden coasters would not benefit from adding a steel version of a wooden coaster. The voyage, in my opinion, is virtually a hyper coaster. If they go steel it should have an emphasis on inversions. They are soo many options out here but I think the new mack launcher would be a good fit! I just don't think anything launched from intamin would be a Good choice for their first steel coaster. Sorry intamin, however...a traditional lift intamin like Fahrenheit could work...

I recommended something along the lines of Silver Dollar City's Powder Keg--a launched coaster that is relatively "family friendly." I suppose it could have a loop or two, if they wanted them.

I thought about this before I posted my ideas up...

1.) Look at Dollywood or Busch Gardens Williamsburg: Their terrain coasters fit perfectly into the park- and are glass smooth designs all over. PLus, they look like they 'belong' in their respective theme areas, and fit the mood of the park.

While I'd love to see a Schwarzkopf clone (I can hear the 'DUH' comments now... you know who you are!) I don't think they'd be right for HW's needs and wants- it's a family park, after all- so that should be an aspect of thought in creating a park's design in general.

(Unless they were to snap up Revolution at a good price, and move it to Indiana. Then I'd be hiring a moving van!)

R.D.

When I heard there was a survey regarding steel coasters being taken at HWN, I imagined the overwhelming majority of responses focused on Intamin and airtime.

I went with an inverter that made use of terrain. I agree with the thought that airtime is a category pretty well represented at the park, but if they went that route again, something like the already mentioned Powder Keg is a ride I thought would be great at HW since SDC built it.

Edited by Ed Farmer

I suggested something along the lines of Intamin's Kanonen, a Maurer-Sohne X Car, or Mystery Mine/Powder Keg Dollywood ride.

Though I could see an Expedition Ge Force or a mega-lite working there.

EDIT: Just read a page back at Elissa's post, ha, I thought of the same thing (somewhat.) Great minds think alike!

This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

You're not the only one who posted something similar to that- as I did the same.

If anything, HW is a family park- with family attractions (Save 'Voyage') where building a 'ginormous 29 inversion floorless launched woodie' would be a HUGE mistake- but rather: K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple and smart. (There's another acronym for that- I know). Loch Ness Monster, Tennessee Tornado (Scaled down, of course) and HersheyPark's sdL were at the top of my 'list' as well as some of the better small to medium class coasters out there. I keep seeing Intamin pop up- and as much as I like Intamin rides, I think they would have to scale back the intensity on them to truly create a smaller-scale ride.

(If Arrow were still around, and this was 1979, I'd have put them at the TOP of the list to do it!)