TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

KCForce's working model roller coasters

Update and an Invitation to the TPR community -

Hi all. I have the next coaster ready to show. The Schussboomer Model Roller Coaster from Worlds of Fun, from my upcoming Project 31 exhibit.

Exhibit you say? Yes. I am thrilled to share that my models along with historic photos (some I guarantee you haven't see before), and a few artifacts will debut on May 6th at the Blue Djinn Gallery in Kansas City, MO. After the exhibits opening show there, the exhibit will go to Kansas City's Union Station from June 1st through August 11th. Let me stress that this is a Free exhibit open to the public at both locations. There is NO admission charge and nothing is for sale, it's simply a project I've wanted to do for quite a while. Of course the main draw will be the working 1:48 scale (O Scale) model roller coasters of all 5 coasters at Worlds of Fun in 1980: The Orient Express, Screamroller, Schussboomer, Zambezi Zinger and of course, the Silly Serpent. If you're into roller coasters, models or Worlds of Fun, this is an exhibit you'll want to see! And of course opening night on May 6th, we will be serving wine, beer, coffee, soda and water. This is an all ages exhibit and invitation, families welcome. So come see my working models in person! Hope to see you all there!

1109012367_P1020698resize.jpg.5cb3d88d13ca2bc0738ffbc67aef0dd9.jpg

Schussboomer Model Roller Coaster, come see it at the Project 31 Exhbit!

1958570841_P31inviteTPRRESIZE.jpg.c657ca2c3d3992b761cd27dca3caeb25.jpg

Here's your sign, er invitation. Hope to see you!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work here! I noticed that you said you use HO scale model railroad trucks for your wheels, what brand do you use? It looks like the wheel treads are plastic, and those tend to have relatively high coefficients of friction. (I.E. they don't roll well.) If you ever want to invest in a single set of really good wheelsets, I'd recommend using some Blackstone Models HOn3 (HOn3 means HO scale, 3 foot gauge.) trucks. They are a bit smaller (seeing as they are trucks for 3 foot gauge model trains.) and they roll, quite literally, forever. I dropped one pair on my floor and it rolled all the way across my house, a good 40 feet. They are however very expensive at nearly $10 for one pair. But I find them to be worth it!

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing now, I just thought I might make a small recommendation.

These are absolutely incredible! I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging open the whole time watching these. Just... amazing!

Thanks so much. Oh, and here's a hanky, you got a little drool on your monitor

Great work here! I noticed that you said you use HO scale model railroad trucks for your wheels, what brand do you use? It looks like the wheel treads are plastic, and those tend to have relatively high coefficients of friction. (I.E. they don't roll well.) If you ever want to invest in a single set of really good wheelsets, I'd recommend using some Blackstone Models HOn3 (HOn3 means HO scale, 3 foot gauge.) trucks. They are a bit smaller (seeing as they are trucks for 3 foot gauge model trains.) and they roll, quite literally, forever. I dropped one pair on my floor and it rolled all the way across my house, a good 40 feet. They are however very expensive at nearly $10 for one pair. But I find them to be worth it!

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing now, I just thought I might make a small recommendation.

I hear what you're saying. I think my wheel sets have a pretty low co-efficiency, the Orient Express model is only off by literaly a few scale feet in heights in just a couple areas, everything else is pretty much spot on. Plus I use silicone lubricant. The main road wheels are Kato's (not quite as expensive as yours) and roll just like what you described. I have to use the plastic wheel sets for the side friction / up stop wheels as they pull off to reconfigure into a single wheel. The metal one's actually are too heavy for this purpose and won't work on a model that the plastic side friction up stop wheels ones will. I'll keep those trucks in mind though, thanks and peace!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. The opening of my "Project 31" Exhibit was very nice, about 150 folks turned up from 6 - 9 p.m. this past Friday evening.

I've also added then next Project 31 video, the Zambezi Zinger:

Here's a few pictures from the opening reception. I should have the Silly Serpent done Tuesday, and videos for it and the Screamroller hopefully Wednesday. Enjoy!

1468948842_P1020776Resize.jpg.28fe4216a3c87d0174a4657cc0067dca.jpg

A shot of the crowd.

750985843_P1020770Resize.thumb.jpg.5495d351910bff034e8deed8135aa4c5.jpg

One of the gallery walls. In addition to the working models, I got folks to let me use their pictures and memorabilia, a lot of it from 1980!

24224751_P1020789Resize.jpg.0dde54adbba388faac48404e5d99c5c3.jpg

The Zambezi Zinger model. I love the gallery lighting, I may have to get some for my coaster cave...

P1020801Resize.jpg.c5417e7825b65206e44e75f187c4856b.jpg

The Orient Express model on display.

This is AWESOME! I love the amount of detail you put in these models. One question are you making any roller coaster models lately.

No, not right now. I've been up to my you know what with this project. And once I finish the Silly Serpent this week, I'm taking a break from model building for a bit. I will be updating my website how to videos in the near future. I've let everything else in my life go to the wayside, and I have to get some balance back. But it's been a lot of fun!

WOW that looks great! Did you get the zinger model working?

Yes, if you watch the video above, lol, you'll see. I did not do a motorized spring lift as I planned. It would have been too expensive at this time to have a custom spring made for it. So for now, it's a hand pushed lift. I don't think it takes away anything from the Zinger model. The motorized lift would add to it for sure, but I already spent WAY too much building all these models, making color, and blue print copies and laminating (the Zinger blue prints and laminating were over 60.00 for both!), buying foam to mount the pictures on, etc. But I'd do it all again. It was worth it a few examples:

Two guys from St. Louis drove over on Saturday, just to see the exhibit. Of course they went to WOF after, but the main reason was the exhibit.

A grandmother brought her 15 year old enthusiast grandson to see the exhibit. She read about it in the local paper and brought him on Saturday. Very special to me as my Grandmother, of blessed memory, took me to WOF for the first time and took me to other parks (including Disneyland) for the first time when I was growing up. This exhibit is dedicated to her. I teared up a bit seeing the two of them after learning their relationship.

A pair of Grandparents were explaining to their grandson's that the Schussboomer and Zinger were the big rides at the park when it opened in 1973, that there was no Mamba, Prowler or Patriot.

This is why I did this show. So people could remember and share their memories and perhaps someday when that 15 year old young man's Grandmother is no longer around, he'll remember how she found something coaster related and made sure he got to see it, and he'll cherish that memory.

And the last picture needs no explanation, other than they sat there the last half hour of the show, just watching the Schussboomer and Orient Express models go around:

Peace,

KC

P1020787.jpg.f19069e440d5f2ba10ac98a0c127c4ed.jpg

I got to see the models in person and I must say they were even more impressive in person, especially the Orient Express! The Orient Express model is big and it takes up a lot of space. I was in awe of it the whole time I was there. It was fun to hear the music from 1980 too! So glad I went and I will be going back!

Well folks, here are the two final videos from Project 31, the Silly Serpent and the Screamroller. Also this Sunday the Blue Djinn Gallery will be open from Noon until 5 p.m. Normally it is not open on Sundays. It's "Meet the Builder" day. I'll be available to answer questions about my models and the Project 31 exhibit. We'll have free wine, beer and bottled water. As always, this exhibit is free and open to the public. The exhibit will run here through May 28th. After that it will be moved to Kansas City's Union Station, opening June 1st. However, due to space limitations at Union Station there may not be room for all the pictures and "artifacts" so if you want to see the exhibit in it's entirety, I encourage you to go see it before May 28th. So if you have time, come check it out Sunday, see the information on the exhibit up a few posts back.

Silly Serpent Model Roller Coaster Video

I will be posting an exhibit walk through video after it closes at the Blue Djinn Gallery so those who weren't able to see it in person will be able to experience it. It'll be about a 5 minute video that will show all the pictures and artifacts briefly, but you can pause it on a particular item to take a better look.

Peace, KC

These are wonderful. How much time did you spend on them?

I lost count . Actually, I built the Orient Express in a couple of weeks. The Zambezi Zinger took 3 days. The Screamroller a couple of days. The Schussboomer about a week (all the intricate supports) and the Silly Serpent in a day. Plus there was adding the scenery and doing little touch ups here and there.

But if we add in moving the models (OE is 10' X 10', Screamroller is 3' X 7', Zinger is 6' X 8', Schussboomer is 3'x4' and Serpent is 1' X 2.5), copying all the pictures and mounting them, plus the blue prints and all that, I put in about 400 hours worth of work to get the exhibit ready. But it was worth it, many have been to see the exhibit so far. It takes them back and gets them talking about the past history of Worlds of Fun, and everyone seems impressed with the models and the pictures and other neat stuff in the exhibit.

Will I ever do anything like this again? Probably not, unless I have another mid-life crisis! Peace, KC

What did you use for Orient Express' thin supports on the lift, first turn, first loop, and brake run?

1/8" diameter wood dowels, painted after each piece was completed with glossy crimson red spray paint (one of the larger expenses for this model!)

Great job, these were awesome to watch! Just curious, what changes did you make to Screamroller for the "1980 version" ? Overall, I really wish I could have seen these in person!

The track has white rails and a "faked" blue spine, blue supports on the lift (the 76 version had an all white track and structure), added the tunnel I forgot to put on the 76 version (and we all know I love my tunnels - there's very few of my original design models that don't have a tunnel, lol), and this one is almost perfectly to scale (about 75 feet tall vs. actual 70 feet tall). The 76 versions lift was just over a 100' tall, as I had never before tried to build a real world model and wanted to make sure it had enough momentum to make it through the course consistently, which turns out was not an issue with any of my real world models, with the exception of Zinger, it was a pain in the you know what to get working properly, the display model is actually the 4th version of it I made (there's a video coming out soon to talk all about that and some bloopers too). There is actually a couple of things I haven't finished on the 1980 version of the Screamroller model yet, can you spot them? Peace, KC

• 3 weeks later...

So, bummed you missed the Project 31 Exhibit debut? Live far away? You should come to Kansas City anyway, WOF's Prowler is worth the trip alone - and believe it or not, KC is in my opinion, the MOST underrated major city in the US. - and first time visitors who come to visit us are always surprised.

Well, Project 31 opens next June 1st and runs through August 11 at Union Station, Kansas City! The Project 31 exhibit will be just to the left of the entrance to Science City, on the "Midway". The exhibit is FREE. You have no excuse not to go. There's even going to be a GOBO with my exhibit title. Yeah, I'm excited because they are putting my exhibit title up in lights! What in blue blazes is a gobo? This is a Gobo Mine will be in red projected on the wall behind my models.

What's that? Oh, still no plans to come to KC? Okay, well, then. I have a surprise for you. Even though you really don't deserve it (SPOILER ALERT! - Don't watch if you plan on coming and viewing the exhibit in person as you should.....

How's about a first person walk through video then? Enjoy. Oh, and no cracks about the West Bottoms neighborhood/business district - it's one small section of KC and actually we're lucky to have it, many of the buildings were built in the late 1800's, turn of the 20th century. The Doc's Caboose building was built in 1899!

Enjoy! Peace,

KC "Gobo man" Force

WOW. Awesome job. Those look amazing. I looked around on the site for a while and wish I had the time, space, and patience to build a working model. Have you ever thought of doing an inverted coaster as the next step? It seems plausible that the track would support the car hanging. The hardest part would be modifying the lift. Just an idea to keep things interesting.

One thing I would suggest would be to get a camera capable of a high shutter rate and then slowing down the video of the scale coasters. I think it would add to the realism as the scaled speed makes it a bit blurry. Once again they look amazing. Good luck with your future projects.

WOW. Awesome job. Those look amazing. I looked around on the site for a while and wish I had the time, space, and patience to build a working model. Have you ever thought of doing an inverted coaster as the next step? It seems plausible that the track would support the car hanging. The hardest part would be modifying the lift. Just an idea to keep things interesting.

One thing I would suggest would be to get a camera capable of a high shutter rate and then slowing down the video of the scale coasters. I think it would add to the realism as the scaled speed makes it a bit blurry. Once again they look amazing. Good luck with your future projects.

Thanks so much. I have contemplated and worked on a prototype inverted coaster. Probably not going to happen. Doesn't work as well as you think it might. But who knows, someday when I have some time (ha ha ha - I have no life or time currently with this exhibit!) and the patience (that's a whole other funny!)

If you'd like to finance that camera, by all means feel free. I understand what you're saying. But I like for folks to see what it looks like in person, which is fairly close to what you see on my YouTube videos. Model roller coaster haul @ss as speed doesn't scale down.

Peace,

KC