TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite launch coaster?

• 4 weeks later...

to list out the lauch coasters I've ridden...

Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Flight of Fear (KI & KD)

Joker's Jinx

Hypersonic XLC

Maverick

Top Thrill Dragster

Backlot Stunt Coaster (KI & KD)

Storm Runner

Wicked Twister

My top three launches are (were): 1. Hypersonic XLC, Top Thrill Dragster, and Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Hulk to me does not feel like a launch, but more like it just speeds up, if that makes any sense. Still is cool IMO. I haven't been on many launched coasters though. RNR, Chiller, and Hulk. That's it. They were all different where I cannot really compare. I'll be going to Kings Dominion by summer's end though, so I will have one or two more under my belt soon.

For me, I would say Storm Runner is the best launcher i've been on. The launch itself is so swift and abrupt, it's almost surreal. The top-hat, immelmann, and flying snake dive really makes it one truly solid ride. Volcano at KD is my second favorite launcher and Joker's Jinx at SFA is my third.

My favorite launched coaster is California Screamin'... It's such a long ride with great pacing and a nice atmosphere. The loop halfway through the ride always catches me off guard.

My favorite launch ON a coaster is still Kingda KA by far, it's one of the few coasters that can wow me every time.

cs002.JPG.81bf06cd36a454220ae77ef0607f0226.JPG

California Screamin', my favorite launched coaster

l_e75f2088c9b947a58204ccc39f043234.jpg.2bfa3e6fe21da7c128c8816884bf7097.jpg

My favorite LAUNCH

My favorite launched coaster is Kingda Ka. The strength of the launch, and with it seeming to last a lot longer than it really does easily make it my favorite launched coaster. I can't say much about the height as I rode it at night, although that seemingly endless fall in darkness was cool. The ride is just a lot of fun, which is a major part of how I rank coasters. I'm sure my opinion might be different if it wasn't a walk on when I rode it though.

The launched coasters I've ridden are:

Kingda Ka

Mr. Freeze(my second favorite)

Greezed Lightning

V2

Half Pipe

I would either say Rock n' Rollercoaster or The Incredible Hulk. But I'm gonna go with RNR because it was my first looping coaster I was only 8 years old, and me and my dad waited in line for like, 45 minutes. After I saw that the coaster launched, I got really scared but my dad wouldn't let me leave because we waited so long. Long story short, I LOVED it.

I have ridden Rita, Stealth, TTD, WT, Mavvy and I would say TTD or Mavericks were the most fun.

Stealth's is too quick to notice. Rita is smooth but Sssslllooowww. Wicked T's is a fun build up. Mavericks is most consistant at keeping you pinned to your seat. TTD's is just insane speed. Gradual launches are better that fast acceleration for sure as you can actually feel the pull for longer.

I've never been one for gimmick rides (unless the gimmick is a really good one). I personally do not understand the appeal in a ride like Kingda Ka or TTD- 18 seconds of ride time after taking a chance waiting in a queue because the ride is more likely than not to go down while waiting.

With that said, I do enjoy launch coasters where the launch is but a *part* of the ride/big picture. One ride I keep coming back to (and which may very well be in my top 25 if I ranked coasters) is Powder Keg at Silver Dollar City. It has a perfect launch (sure, it is "only" 0-55 or so, but is done in a smooth manner with just enough force without making your face age 30 years). The bonus? After a great launch, you don't just come down a hill and hit brakes. Several perfectly designed airtime hills, overbanked turns, low to the ground speed runs, and even a lift and second big drop thrown in for good measure.

I would also throw California Screamin', Volcano the Blast Coaster, and Mr. Freeze out there for other favorite launch coasters of mine- either thanks to the launch being only a part of the big picture, or because of some form of uniqueness that takes place after the launch that is not only unique, but also fun and effective.

I've been on the following launched coasters:

The Incredible Hulk

Revenge of the Mummy (USF)

Backlot Stunt Coaster (Canada's Wonderland and Kings Island)

Flight of Fear (Kings Island)

Maverick

Wicked Twister

Top Thrill Dragster

Rock and Roller Coaster

Out of all of them, I would say Flight of Fear is my favourite launch, while Maverick is my favourite overall ride. I love the quick, dark launch on Flight of Fear into the cobra roll. It's so awesome. But, for a complete experience, almost nothing comes close to Maverick.

Chiller

Kingda Ka

Wicked Twister

Top Thrill Dragster

jokers Jinx

of those that I have been on Top Thrill Dragster is the best no doubt! Allthough I must give a special not to the Chiller at SFGADV a very underatted roller coaster- RIP

My list of launched coasters that I've been on:

California Screamin'

Montezooma's Revenge

Pony Express

Xcelerator

Superman: The Escape (SFMM)

Revenge of the Mummy (USF)

Incredible Hulk

Top Thrill Dragster

Wicked Twister

Storm Runner

Of these, Top Thrill Dragster is my favorite, because being that these are launched coasters, it had hands-down the best launch I've ever experienced, and is extremely re-ridable.

Incredible Hulk, Incredible Launch. The scenery is perfect. I love the feeling of flying into the zero-g roll over the bridge and diving towards the water. It was my 1st launch, and a great one at that.

The Mummy gets #2 just because I wasn't expecting it at all.

KingDa Ka is #3. It would be #2 if it was more forceful and launched you into more than just a tophat.

Maverick - You are in the tunnel going 4mph for about 5 or 6 seconds, then your launched. It's a shame that the after launch isn't anything spectacular, and really shows off the rougher portion of the ride. The launch is still awesome regardless of what happens next

Volcano - Same story as Maverick. You can easily predict when its going to launch from the back seat, because it launches as soon as the train isn't on that turn. However if your in the front, it just pops out like that.

Top Thrill Dragster - Your just looking at that light to go green. I mean, tell me that you haven't been looking at the light that is to the side when riding this riding count downing your launch.