TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite launch coaster?

I definitely enjoyed Helix' two (what I call) 'light' launches, last summer at Liseberg.

But I still have a soft spot, for the zippy little starting launch on Lynet, in Farup Sommerland.

1984512924_ResizeofIMG_5154alt.JPG.893a8ad48bb396beed75cf76dd260cd9.JPG

941278768_ResizeofIMG_5156.JPG.ac68b2bffd7c98007d3562d5ec81cfda.JPG

And there's this enjoyable non-launch part, too. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

J_01FarupSommerlandLynet.jpg.849e37bcd253782c28044f6e3634f10e.jpg

After the launch. TPR 2009 Scandi Tour.

Before I get started, I apologize if this has already been discussed, I did a search but all I came up with was Strongest/Most Forceful LIM Launch, and Favorite Intamin Accelerator. However, those are both really old threads, and didn't really discuss launched coasters in general. They discussed two specific type of launched coasters, and I was wanting something a little more broad.

With all of that being said, I created this thread in hopes of us being able to not only post our favorite launched coasters, but also be able to discuss all things launched coaster related!

To me there is just something about the anticipation sitting on the launch track waiting for the train to launch that makes launched coasters so much more thrilling to me than traditional coasters. My all time favorite launched coaster is Top Thrill Dragster. The anticipation of the launch, and the 420ft climb up the tower is amazing. The speed, and force of the launch is breathtaking, and something that I have never experienced on any other coaster. Some of my other favorite launched coasters are Maverick, and Revenge Of The Mummy at USO.

What are your favorites?!

I merged this into a very similar thread.

^^I've seen that coaster on YouTube. Gerstlauer needs to make more of these LSM coasters, because Lynet looks awesome.

However, they need to fix whatever issue happened with Smiler first.

I find Dragsters launch to be incredible. The acceleration is just beyond anything I've ever felt on a coaster.

Maverick is definitely my favorite, and hey! You get two launches!

Honorable mentions to Storm Runner and Volcano though. I'm glad to see them getting some love in this thread, because I think they tend to be underrated when people think of launched coasters!

When it comes to just the launch, I would have to go for Dodonpa. Nothing (except Hypersonic XLC (R.I.P.)) comes or came even near this beast.

If I look at the entire ride, I'm going for Maverick, with Anubis (= Lynet 2.0) as second and Storm Runner as third

When it comes to just the launch, I would have to go for Dodonpa. Nothing (except Hypersonic XLC (R.I.P.)) comes or came even near this beast.

From what I have heard Dodonpa's launch is not pleasant... It's painful. Everyone says it is like being hit in the chest by a bag of bricks. That just doesn't sound fun to me. I will gladly take TTD's launch over it any day. Fast, fun, and not painful, and still packs a punch!

From what I have heard Dodonpa's launch is not pleasant... It's painful. Everyone says it is like being hit in the chest by a bag of bricks. That just doesn't sound fun to me. I will gladly take TTD's launch over it any day. Fast, fun, and not painful, and still packs a punch!

Like you said, from what you've heard. If given the opportunity, you should check it out for yourself. Until then you can't take TTD's launch over Dodonpa's.

Personally, I like short and intense launches (S&S style). But I can understand why some people don't like that and prefer 'softer' launches.

For example, the launch of Top Thrill Dragster is nice, but it doesn't stand out for me. Back in 2007 we did TTD the first day of our trip and several days later, we were at Kings Dominion, in line for Hypersonic. I can honestly say, when we saw that train flying onto the top hat, we almost sh*t our pants. One hour later, the ride delivered what we expected. In 2010 Dodonpa exceeded all expectations. If it wasn't for the slow operations and long lines, I would've kept riding it for hours.

The only Intamin launch that's somewhat powerful to me, is the one of Formula Rossa, but that one gets negative points for being trimmed too much on the first hill.

For me it's definitely a hydraulic launch, and the only Intamin Accelerators I've been on are Kingda Ka and Stormrunner. Stormrunner's launch actually felt very powerful despite its slow (compared to KK) speed. Kingda Ka's launch is nuts though, just when you think you've hit top speed, you just keep on accelerating. It's ridiculous.

Dodonpa is not painful. It's just that you've heard so much about it and how Fuji-Q builds up your anticipation is making it so much scarier. I admit I was really scared by it but it's not really THAT insane, definitely much more powerful than Intamin launch coasters though.

My choice is the same as zottewef81, Dodonpa has the best launch and Maverick is overall the best.

• 6 years later...