Launch coasters I've ridden:

•Montezooma's Revenge

•California Screamin'

•Xcelerator

•Superman SFMM

•Rock n Roller Coaster

•Top Thrill Dragster

•Maverick

•Motorbike Launch Coaster (Chimelong Paradise)

•Sidewinder (Elitch Gardens)

•Pony Express

•Wicked Twister

•Space Mountain de la Terre a la Lune

Favorite: Maverick. Low profile, big thrill.

Kind of how I prefer wooden coasters over steel coasters, I guess I like my launches old school as well. I've been on quite a few launch coasters including Kingda Ka, however my favorite launch coaster has to be Montezooma's Revenge. Maybe it's the trains, or the mechanics of the launch. While I can't put a finger on it, Montezooma's Revenge is not only one of my favorite launch coasters, it is one of my favorite coasters in general. If I'm ever at Knotts, it is the one coaster I always try to ride.

Kind of how I prefer wooden coasters over steel coasters, I guess I like my launches old school as well. I've been on quite a few launch coasters including Kingda Ka, however my favorite launch coaster has to be Montezooma's Revenge. Maybe it's the trains, or the mechanics of the launch. While I can't put a finger on it, Montezooma's Revenge is not only one of my favorite launch coasters, it is one of my favorite coasters in general. If I'm ever at Knotts, it is the one coaster I always try to ride.

I've noticed that about Montezuma's Revenge, too. There was just something about the launch that seemed a lot more intense than any Intamin coaster I've ridden...it's so bizarre, but it's true! Maybe it's the unpredictability (no count down or lights)..?

I've ridden a grand total of 3, count 'em THREE launched coasters. So nobody take my word on this.

-Powder Keg

-Rock 'n RollerCoaster

-Mr. Freeze (SFStL)

Powder Keg is the best, but I guess it's a lot more than its humble launch that makes it the best.

Rock 'n RollerCoaster is the least because it was just...non-flowing is a way to put it. Reminded me a bit too much of a boomerang at the very beginning.

mightbe- yes I'm a heart-case with my 3 launchers-awannabe

Ive been on a few launched coasters and my overall fave would have to be Rock N Roller Coaster. Its not overly intense or anything, but the combination of music, lights and darkness I love.

Runners up would be Xcelerator for force of launch, air over the top hat and general ride length; Speed: The Ride for the second boost after the loop; and Volcano for its second boost (even though I was disappointed how slow the rolls were).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Considering the entire ride, not just the launch, my favorites are:

01. Maverick

02. Top Thrill Dragster

03. Flight of Fear

04. Mr. Freeze, SFOT

05. California Screamin'

06. Powder Keg

07. Mr. Freeze, SFStL

08. Storm Runner

09. Poltergeist

10. Kingda Ka

These are all in my top 30...yes, even Kingda Ka. As you can see, I love a good forceful launch, but I also appreciate layouts that incorporate airtime, top hats, disorientation, overwhelming speed, and wicked headchoppers.

I have only been on a few, but my favorite is Superman Escape at Movieworld. I bet even if I ended up riding all the others such as Stormrunner and TTD, it would still make my top 5 at least.

It's acceleration is awesome, 0-62mph in 2 seconds, an awesome dark ride section and awesome out of your seat airtime on its two bunny hills.

Worst I've been on Mick Doohan's Motocoaster at Dreamworld, Intamins first and hopefully last Motocoaster. Or, if they make another, they should at least change the restraints so they dont crush your knees.

I also like Tower of Terror at Dreamworld (same design as SFMM's Superman), the sensation of speed is awesome but the acceleration isn't very intense, plus its an extremely short ride.

Here's my list, a bit different from the others posted here:

1. Kanonen - Liseberg

2. Speed Monster - TusenFryd

3. MotoCoaster - Särkänniemi

4. Half Pipe - Särkänniemi

Altough Speed Monster launches faster than Kanonen, I still find the latter one to have more "oomph". It really felt like launching out of a cannon! Speed Monster has a way better layout, though. I especially like the very forceful Norwegian loop

MotoCoaster and Half Pipe come nowhere near a 'real' launch, but it's better than nothing here in the north But don't get me wrong, they are both really fun!

My favorite launch is easily Dodonpa. 0-100mph in two seconds is absolutely insane. And I thought Dragster had a strong launch, ha! The hill has some epic airtime, but there's not a lot to the rest of the ride.

As far as my favorite launched coaster as a whole, it'd probably be Maverick, edging out Storm Runner and Powder Keg.

A great little launch coaster

that was the Surprise HIT of the

2008 TPR Europe Tour...

Formule X

at Drievliet, just outside of Amsterdam.

Made us laugh and laugh and laugh....

Great ride for the size of it's footprint,

and just enough oomph in it, to

make you want to ride it again and again.

C_11FormuleX_Drievliet.jpg.a5f3ca8e4fb8896910b49603f70dddae.jpg

Formule X. Lovely coaster. I wish we had one like this, back home. And the launch track is there in the bottm right corner there.

Edited by Nrthwnd