TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: "Rollercoaster Tycoon" riding to the screen

I agree with Chuck, good game does not mean good movie. Come to think of it, I do not think I have ever watched a movie based on a game.

Have you ever seen Tomb Raider?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It worked for Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Dead or Alive, Tomb Raider, Pokemon (for kids), Resident Evil, and who can forget the awesome Super Mario Bros. movie!!!! Okay so the last one was a bit of a stretch, but it's so bad it's almost good. The others are at least as good as any Michael Bay or M. Night Shamalamadingdong crap that's come out recently...

I'm sure they'd create some kind of storyline. They made a chapter book about RCT where you could pick the ending and what the characters chose to do. I really don't think this will be a blockbuster movie, but it should be interesting to see how they'd do this.

RCT: The Movie!

Starring:

Dick Kinzel as the man who doesnt name rides and has trash cans on everysingle path tile!

Mark Shapiro as the man who half-a$$es themeing and makes up with it with FIRE!!!

Werner Stengle as the wacky designer!

Will Koch as the medium park manager that does a great job!

Stan Checketts as the "Too intense for Me"

and Andy Dick!

While it is not necessarily the first choice I'd use for some writing inspiration, there are a good deal of outcomes for this, all depending on the genre you want to touch upon.

Comedy: We follow the hi jinx of a young, upstart owner and how turning his dream into a reality is filled with many, humorous obstacles. Think "The Money Pit" but actually sort of funny...

Drama: We follow a wealthy, young upstart who through various strokes of fate becomes the owner of a large parcel of land in a somewhat under-developed, run down district. After trying to sell the land numerous times, most of the time for a loss, he gets to know one of the neighborhood kids who changes his life. He sets out to create something for the neighborhood to be proud of, creating jobs, tourism money, and the whole nine.... Think "Field of Dreams" and every other haughty, Oscar-aiming drama about guilt.... *looks at the Blind Side*

Action: Michael Bay takes a break from Transformers for a bit to create a thrill-ride park that wants to make you its bitch! (Points go to anyone who gets the reference) We follow a group of scantily clad women as they embark on facing their fears, finding low-calorie/fat food at a theme-park, and most importantly finding an unsuspecting dude with cargo shorts to hold all of their useless crap... Plan for lots of gratuitous slow-mo ... *cough* physics *cough* examples... . ..... ...

Just because the game has a style of play, the movie can simply use and abuse the focus and theme and use the brand name as a tie-in... Of all of the recent Game/Boardgames to movie things, this might actually have a bit of potential, more so, in comparison to others... There are currently movies involving Battleship, Operation, and Stretch Armstrong in the works... They could do far worse I guess....

As for worst movie based on a game, I vote for Clue.

I LOVED Clue! To this day, it's still one of the most interesting theatrical releases ever. Releasing three different endings in three different theaters was awesome. The movie's biggest flaw though....not focusing on the maid enough.

^Focusing more on the maid would've helped. I was just very disappointed in it, as a talented cast seemed to just sleepwalk through the flick, with the exception of Tim Curry (who was going all out, as he usually does).

I smell straight to DVD here....just a waste of money and effort and tarnishing what was a great game that consumed many of my nights and days several years ago. What’s next, Tetris: The Movie! Now Pitfall on the other hand, there is some potential there!

I smell straight to DVD here....just a waste of money and effort and tarnishing what was a great game that consumed many of my nights and days several years ago. What’s next, Tetris: The Movie! Now Pitfall on the other hand, there is some potential there!

*Christian Benvenuto likes this*

All I ask is that some "Elissa White" Easter egg in the DVD lead to a featurette of the Parque Espana Escalator Ride™.

That or show Kinzel raising the soda prices to $3.50 and becoming confused when the bot-guests stop buying it. "This game is completely unrealistic!"

The movie's biggest flaw though....not focusing on the maid enough.

Too true... Too True. I also did enjoy Clue, it scared the heck out of my the first time I watched it, granted I was only 6 but still. I actually just watched it again not too long ago.

I have to agree though, a movie based on RCT? Really? Sounds like a terrible idea. I'd rather go see MacGruber!

What’s next, Tetris: The Movie!

Funny you should mention that...

I think it could work, what I see happening is basically a movie version of the Cartmanland episode South Park, or Eddie in a theme park setting, failing park gets help in an unexpected place (most likely the next child actor to become popular) to become successful. Of course if they come up with some lame attempt at a story to the board game Battleship (it involves aliens... seriously...) they can do it for RCT.