TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

That's it, I have lost faith in humanity

^ Those name spellings drive me crazy! I don't mind the ones that have common multiple spellings (Sara/Sarah, Lindsay/Lindsey, etc) but the ones like Jessikah, Jennipher, Brittnie look so ridiculous to me--and I'm not making those up! Plus then the poor kid constantly has to spell their name for people.

Anyway back on topic...I wonder if the spike in Twilight-related names is because adults are reading/watching Twilight or because more teenagers are having kids. Either way, it's a bit disturbing. I kind of like the names Isabella and Jacob, but if I ever name my kids one of those it will *not* be because of that whiny Twilight girl or the werewolf.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yes! I think the most annoying one I've seen for my name is Meggin. Really? How am I supposed to pronounce that? "Meg-guh-gin?"

This makes me wonder if we'll start to see some alternate spellings for some of these popular names--imagine Isabella being Izzabellah or Isibelaa or something. Ugh. Do people do stuff like that to be trendy? Or is it that they can't spell and can't be bothered to learn the appropriate spelling of a name? I'll never understand it!

^Yeah, it always annoys me when I hear that parents chose a popular name but changed the spelling because they wanted to be different/not too trendy. If it's that important to you not to be trendy, why not just choose a less popular name? Less popular =/= unpopular or ugly, so it's not like they'd have anything to worry about.

I've heard this explanation more than once. One was Mikailla (in my opinion not even a pretty spelling).

I'm actually kind of drawn to "Caytlin" and "Caetlin", but I would never choose them due to the spelling issues!

Speaking of Twilight and stupidity:

http://www.mylifeistwilight.com

Same basic idea as MLIA (My Life is Average) but TWILIGHT.

I still held out one last hope for humanity, until I read that site. All gone now. This should give you an idea...

Today, my boyfriend bit me. I did not turn into a vampire, so I dumped him. MLIT

Seriously, WTF. Might just be a troll posting, but I would not be at all surprised if that and the rest of these ones are for real. Twilight has doomed society. Twilight fangirls reproducing scares me even more than the thought of ever dating one.

If for some reason I felt compelled to use an unusual spelling, I think I would try my hardest to teach my child to not care and to quietly accept any spelling! However, that still wouldn't be a perfect solution, since many people want to make sure they're using the correct spelling. (Also, the child might be secretly resentful, of course.)

Same goes for if I had one, which I don't (people still misspell it though).

Wow Terrible! ...and Twilight of all things??

Ok, so I know I wasn't the only person who saw Jacob and thought of Lost! Anyone? Anyone?

In one way you have to love how stupid people are. It just makes YOU seem so much smarter! Like seriously, I did not take enough school to seem as smart as I do! lol

I'd love to know what hard core coaster enthusiasts would call their offspring (well, the rare ones that reproduce) - Anton Schwarzkopf Bolliger Mabillard Miler Smith or start with Antonia if it's a girl.

And nothing screams illiteracy like phoenetically spelled names - "Anfernee" for example.

I don't know what the most popular names in Australia would be, maybe - Bazza, Gazza, Robbo, Jonno.

It's sad to see the common denominator is coming down though I've come to the conclusion the majority are getting stupider.

I'd love to know what hard core coaster enthusiasts would call their offspring (well, the rare ones that reproduce) - Anton Schwarzkopf Bolliger Mabillard Miler Smith or start with Antonia if it's a girl.

A few years ago John Fetterman told a story at Knoebels to a group of enthusiasts about naming his son John Allen, after the ride designer.

And nothing screams illiteracy like phonetically spelled names - "Anfernee" for example.

Seeing my fiance's student rosters simply stuns me when it comes to phonetically spelled names. Never in my life had I seen the common first names like Cindy spelled Sindiney or my favorite of Thomas spelled Thomomass.

Well it's all just a fad that will be over in a few years anyway, right? Something new will come along and the same names will be re-attributed with new significance.

I've never read Twilight, simply because I have no use for it. For me, mainstream mass-marketed entertainment has always suffered a Faustian fate as credibility is traded for commercial viability. But the bottom line is, it maybe crap to many of us, but it's crap that lots of people truly enjoy -- and if it makes people happy, then keep the crap flowing. Low-art might not say much about the state of our standards or artistic requirements, but happiness is in somewhat short supply these days.

Albini says it well here, in a great interview with Ian Svenonius: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/soft-focus-season-3/steve-albini at around the 9:00 minute mark.

I still think that Zappa deserves the medal of honor w/r/t naming offspring. Not only was he a musical enigma, but he stuck his daughter with the name "Moon Unit" -- which, IMHO, is nothing short of genius.

All this makes me want to laugh/vomit/cry.

I wish I could say that the whole Twilight thing doesn't faze me. However, even though I've never read and/or seen it, it just irritates the crap out of me! I want to bitch slap my 30 and 40-something year old friends who are gaga over it.

Maureen "and while we're on it, so sick of people spelling my name 'Morine O'Donald'" O'Donnell

Well being a black guy, it's almost like your predisposed to have some crappy ghetto name...i'm sure all the Tamekia's & Deshawnte's would kill for names like Isabella, Jacob or Cullen lol....Oh so glad my parents had sense when they named me and my siblings: David Jr. (me), Dominique, Debra, Chaise & Andrew...David Sr. (Dad) Pamela (Mom)

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out over this. People have been naming their kids after famous book characters since antiquity. For example, David, John, Jacob, Adam, Luke, Matthew, Joshua, Abraham, etc. are all names that came straight out of the Bible. It's really not that unusual.

Ewwww @ the Twilight Moms! What's that all about? I think this is really funny, I suppose we should be grateful for the fact that they are actually normal names. I would never name my child after a character, I'd rather name them something original. Don't get me started on spellings!! No one ever spells my name right, even people in my office who I see/email everyday get it wrong!! Its on the bottom of the email!!! Grrrr....

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out over this. People have been naming their kids after famous book characters since antiquity. For example, David, John, Jacob, Adam, Luke, Matthew, Joshua, Abraham, etc. are all names that came straight out of the Bible. It's really not that unusual.

Just had to laugh that you are comparing Twilight to the Bible! lol

^ LMAO! I so wanna say something but dont wanna offend people.

No names are original, and original names are always stupid. Apple Paltrow, Suri(not too bad of a name, but I dont like it much) Cruise, Zuna Nesta Rock Rosedale(Gewn Stefani and Gavin Rosedale's son... is that even one word? can a name be two words?)

Suri is okay kind of, all the other names fail. Traditional names are fine and certain tasteful oriinal names are okay, like I like the name Shiloh for Brangelina's daughter. Honestly if you are somewhat original and you name your child something you like without it being too extravegant thats fine. Also, remember that family that named their son Adolf? DO NOT DO THAT! That kid will be beaten and made fun of during any world war 2 unit, and he will hate his parents.

Just had to laugh that you are comparing Twilight to the Bible! lol

I know, it's a really weird comparison, but to the creepy twilight moms, Twilight is the Bible.

Well I guess it could be worse. At least Edward, Isabella, Cullen, etc. are "normal" names. However it is still sad parents name there kids after movies and other stupid things. What's worse is their children will be the ones who will have to live with people thinking and mentioning that it is the same as the movie characters for many years. Another thing I find odd is how so many celebrities decide to name there kids all kinds of crazy things. Such as Keith Urban and Nicole naming there kid "Sunday" seriously who names there kid a day of the week! Celebrities of all people should realize that easier names are better seriously there famous it's all about your name!