TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Talking Mickey Mouse Character at Disneyland

For those who want to check this out, it's a very limited test run. It could still be going on or could have ended. And if it's still going on, it's randomly in the day with only small groups of guests. An LA Times writer tried to go with his/her son and got "boring" Mickey instead.

Good luck, and god speed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...a talking Mickey Mouse?

It actually looks pretty cool...I wonder how they found someone to do a impersonation of Mickey Mouse?

I think the lip-syncing could use some work, but I know it's just a test...

Anyway, I can't wait to see this expand to other characters!

Impressive and spooky, at the same time.

Looks and sounds great, from what the vids show.

But... Wouldn't want to be there though, if "Mickey" suddenly malfunctioned LOL!

Eyelids flipping open and shut at random. Mouth sputtering open and shut with...nothing being said.

I'm sure they have backup electronic protocols in place.

But still. Hope it's all there ready, just in case...

Impressive and spooky, at the same time.

Looks and sounds great, from what the vids show.

But... Wouldn't want to be there though, if "Mickey" suddenly malfunctioned LOL!

Eyelids flipping open and shut at random. Mouth sputtering open and shut with...nothing being said.

I'm sure they have backup electronic protocols in place.

But still. Hope it's all there ready, just in case...

*Envisions a Furby as it's batteries die...sputtering voice, flapping eyes, much like this:*

That'll freak a kid out. I wonder how they did this...voice changer?

I saw this on Twitter, I was really impressed. It looks great, and it'll really help convince the slightly older kids that it really is Mickey Mouse.

That said... there's something about it that's kinda creepy. I think it's those lifeless eyes

This sounds kind of weird to ask, but will the characters stay to character? Mickey and Minnie have always been nice, but Donald's got a little temper, Goofy's goofy. I dont expect the character now to have character cause they are just masks, but I dont want a Donald being like "I love you" I want a donald true to the Quack Attack and the originals. While I admit this is awesome I kind of think it will bring the end of the personalities we have all come to enjoy that are slowly dying. Also, if this does happen is there any chance Chip and Dale will be rescue rangers? That was the only time I remember them talking, and that show was AMAZING!

The Anyone else LOVE that show Ghost

I'm both impressed and slightly creeped out by this...

On one hand the technology is very impressive. I'd love to see these more often since these can interact better with kids.

On the other hand the technology is so new, that there is still a possibility that breakdowns and malfunctions at the worst possible time.

Overall I see this as something really cool. Technology has come such a long way, this might just be the future of costumed characters.

On the other hand the technology is so new, that there is still a possibility that breakdowns and malfunctions at the worst possible time.

Actually, this patent reveals that Disney had the "Talking Mickey" technology since 1994. Yea, 1994. I think that this might be the first time that the public has seen it.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-news/theme-parks/patent-disney-talking-mickey-technology-20-years/

Kind of creepy.

But as far as the "impersonation" I'm sure it uses the same technology as "Turtle Talk" where you don't necessarily have to sound like the character but the voice changes via software to sound like Mickey or whoever.

Probably won't be too long before we see this on other characters.

This definitely creeped me out a bit (probably because I'm so used to the regular Mickey) and I can totally see it freaking out the kids who were already terrified of the costumed characters. That being said, the technology is really impressive and I think most kids will love it. Will be interesting to see how they choose to use this technology.

Wow, I must have watched this ten times over in sheer fascination! It's about time those imagineers came up with something new for the park. The mom's reaction when the little boy says he's three is priceless! I'm ready to see an interactive Goofy now. Or better yet... DONALD! Way to go Disney!

But as far as the "impersonation" I'm sure it uses the same technology as "Turtle Talk" where you don't necessarily have to sound like the character but the voice changes via software to sound like Mickey or whoever.

Ahahahahhahahaha, nope! Nothing you stated is accurate, and Turtle Talk employs no such technology. Seriously, where do people come up with this shit? I swear if you told the "right" person in the Disney fan community that the Mark Twain was powered on duck farts, you could have thousands of people believing it as gospel.

Ahahahahhahahaha, nope! Nothing you stated is accurate, and Turtle Talk employs no such technology. Seriously, where do people come up with this poo-poo? I swear if you told the "right" person in the Disney fan community that the Mark Twain was powered on duck farts, you could have thousands of people believing it as gospel.

Can you back that up with any facts or did you just feel like venting?

Just thought it would be nice to know as I'm always curious about the type of technology that goes into making these characters do what they do. Oh, and I've always been suspicious that the Twain runs off of duck farts... I'm glad somebody had the guts to come out with the truth!

This being a public message board, there's a limit to what I feel comfortable saying (I know that's sort of a chicken-poop excuse and it's sorta a cop-out, so forgive me).

The secret technology for Turtle Talk is that it's actually the real Crush talking to you.

Just thought it would be nice to know as I'm always curious about the type of technology that goes into making these characters do what they do. Oh, and I've always been suspicious that the Twain runs off of duck farts... I'm glad somebody had the guts to come out with the truth!

People who know...don't talk. And people that talk...don't know. Sorry to be that way, but some of us who work in the industry have a lot more to lose when it comes to the people we know that read this forum.

You just have to trust the words of some of the people here that DO actually know what the are talking about based on actual experience. Not people speculating. Not rumors 'heard from a friend.'

--Robb

No need to be "sorry" for being that way, I totally get it. I never claimed I knew anything about the tech, I was merely curious. I'm guessing you were too before you got in the industry which is why you do what you do today. I'm actually rather envious.