TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: "The Karate Kid Challenge" hits ten Six Flags parks

http://www.sixflags.com/national/footernav/sixflagsblog.aspx

I was 1 year old when the original Karate Kid came out in theatres – too young to get into martial arts but somehow old enough to fall in love with Elisabeth Shue. 26 years later the remake is being released with Jackie Chan and Will and Jada's kid, Jaden Smith (and Elisabeth Shue has aged very, very well, by the way). To celebrate the new film, Six Flags has teamed up with Sony Pictures to bring “The Karate Kid Challenge” to our parks this May.

Karate kids and their senseis are invited to showcase their moves at one of ten Six Flags theme parks across the country. Participants will be judged on movement, technique, degree of difficulty, showmanship, creativity and entertainment value. Were it based purely on entertainment value, I might stand a fighting chance in one of those car-crash-you-just-can’t-look-away-from kind of ways. But it’s those other five grading points that will keep me solely an enthusiastic observer. A judge at each park will name a winner and a runner-up.

The dates and locations of the ten Six Flags events are.

Saturday, May 1st

Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags New England and Six Flags St. Louis

Sunday, May 2nd

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Six Flags Great America

Saturday, May 8th

Six Flags Over Georgia, Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags America

All events will be taped and videos of the ten winning teams will be posted on Yahoo!, where you can vote for your favorite from May 18-25. The top three will be invited to the Karate Kid premiere in Los Angeles to rub elbows with the stars of the film. (I’m desperate to make a black tie/black belt joke but I’ll spare you.) The Grand Prize winner will be announced that night and also will win a private screening of The Karate Kid for all their friends.

Head over to thekaratekidchallenge.com to register in advance or pick up an entry form the day of the event. I’ll be continuing my weak attempts at catching flies with chopsticks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic