TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Josh Linn

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a fun World Cup to watch this month, along with 2006 this is going to excellent and entertaining.

For all USA and UK TPR members, may the best team or best man win tomorrow. Best of luck!

Other words, I'm cheering for the USA, Italy, Germany and England if they beat us.

My favorite thing about this year's World Trophy broadcasts is getting to realize what it would be like if there were a million carnivorous bees in the stands. Thanks ESPN, South Africa, and the world's soccer fans. It's not too annoying or anything.

My favorite thing about this year's World Trophy broadcasts is getting to realize what it would be like if there were a million carnivorous bees in the stands. Thanks ESPN, South Africa, and the world's soccer fans. It's not too annoying or anything.

You beat me to it, I was just going to make a post about the sound of a swarm. I remember hearing this same sound while watching other international matches in the past also, so I don't blame South Africa. The bees must be on the move.

So a friend and I made a friendly bet on the World Cup before it started. Basically, we could each pick 3 teams that we believed would win the event outright. I have a feeling about the three I chose:

1. Italy

2. Germany

3. Argentina

For the record, he chose:

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. USA

It is pretty easy to pick #1 and #2 in the world, just like many analysts are doing. Granted, I picked #5, #6 and #7 in the world. I guess we will see how it goes for me. I have a veggie burger meal riding on it!

For one I'd like to find out if I'm the only one that doesn't mind the horns/bees swarming sound.

Personally, I love the sound. To me, it's the personification (more like soundification) of the term "buzz of excitement."

To the players saying it's distracting: you are professional athletes, you need to be used to the sounds of crowds.

To the fans whining: you're lucky enough to be at the World Cup, why not show some excitement like everyone else there and make some noise?

I'm running a World Cup pool at work going by points. We each had to pick the top two teams in the group round and get 1 point for each correct team. In rest of the rounds, it will be picking the winner of each match. Point value will rise by one each round.

For one I'd like to find out if I'm the only one that doesn't mind the horns/bees swarming sound.

Personally, I love the sound. To me, it's the personification (more like soundification) of the term "buzz of excitement."

To the players saying it's distracting: you are professional athletes, you need to be used to the sounds of crowds.

To the fans whining: you're lucky enough to be at the World Cup, why not show some excitement like everyone else there and make some noise?

I'm running a World Cup pool at work going by points. We each had to pick the top two teams in the group round and get 1 point for each correct team. In rest of the rounds, it will be picking the winner of each match. Point value will rise by one each round.

The vuvuzelas are really annoying IMO. I appreciate the fact that it's part of South African culture, but it's annoying for the hundreds of millions of people watching and for the players. At first I didn't mind it, but after watching 9 of the 11 matches played it's gotten really old.

Would you rather there be no noise at all? IMO, that would make for some pretty boring football. When it's quiet it's like nobody cares that they're there, not the kind of environment you want at the biggest sporting event in the world.

Not sure about sports events in the US, but here in Canada people take large plastic horns to football and hockey games.

I dunno, to me the thing by itself is annoying. But when a stadium full of people does it, it sounds great. Just like when I sing alone it's horrible, but when I sing along at concerts, everyone singing together sounds incredible. Knowing that everyone else is just as excited to be watching the event really gets me pumped.

To me the buzzing doesn't show excitement, it's just noise. Chants, instruments and cheering show excitement. One continuous sound shows lack of inerest in the game and interest only in the event. They might as well be doing the wave.

To me there is a big difference between just making noise and being excited.

In the end it's a lot better than sitting next to someone with a cowbell.

Edited by larrygator

To me the buzzing doesn't show excitement, it's just noise. Chants, instruments and cheering show excitement. One continuous sound shows lack of inerest in the game and interest only in the event. They might as well be doing the wave.

In the end it's a lot better than sitting next to someone with a cowbell.

Exactly.

I'd rather hear the Ole! Ole! chant 10,000 times than 1 minute of that moronic buzzing sound. Seriously, I just quit watching altogether.

I agree. Truthfully, these have been some of the most boring crowds I've ever seen for a soccer game, yet alone World Cup. I blame it on being in South Africa

oh, and they WERE doing the wave in the Cote d'/Portugal game today

Decent enough match for the game this morning

Man you guys are a tough crowd to please. I have not played or even liked soccer since the age of 9, and this World Cup is giving me a new found appreciation for the game. The matches have not been overly well played, but I am having a great time watching. I honestly think that I have had all buy 2 of the matches streaming on my computer during work this event. I don't know if I really like the game again, or if ESPN is doing a great job covering it. However, I'm considering going to Dick's this weekend and buying a shinny new pair of cleats, and I have already signed up to coach an 11-12 girl's soccer team this fall. I'm not sure if it is a faze or not. I'm just really into it. Sure, I have a knockoff Totti jersey I bought from a street vendor when I was studying abroad in Rome in college, but that was just me being touristy. I think I am really starting to appreciate the game again.

I'm a little disappointed that most of the venues have not been sold out, especially for African teams. And the vuvuzelas aren't taking anything away from the games for me.