TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Josh Linn

It's only 43 days away, so why not? For those that need a refresher, here are the groups:

GROUP A

South Africa

Mexico

France

Uruguay

GROUP B

Argentina

Nigeria

South Korea

Greece

GROUP C

England

United States

Algeria

Slovenia

GROUP D

Germany

Australia

Serbia

Ghana

GROUP E

Netherlands

Denmark

Cameroon

Japan

GROUP F

Italy

Paraguay

New Zealand

Slovakia

GROUP G

Brazil

North Korea

Ivory Coast

Portugal

GROUP H

Spain

Switzerland

Honduras

Chile

The Group of Death is clearly G...Brazil, Ivory Coast, and Portugal all have the talent to win the whole thing, although Portugal has been in really bad form and barely made it into the tournament.

The U.S. finally gets a relatively easy draw. Even if they lose to England, their chances of getting out of the group are still high.

If an African team makes a deep run to the semis/finals or wins the whole thing, this looks to be the best year, IMO. Algeria and South Africa don't look to have the horses to do it, but Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, and Ivory Coast are all extremely talented teams. I'm rooting for Ivory Coast out of those four to make it happen.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll definitely check a few of the games out, but Soccer has never really been an interest of mine.

I think the main reason is the fact that you're watching a heated rivalry game, and know very well that it could end up in a tie. American's don't seem to really care for tie games in general. We want to see winners and losers, which is why, I think, soccer has had a hard time catching on here.

However, I'm glad that Soccer fans out there do get to have their moment in the sun with this every few years.

Funny you brought this up. I was just looking at the schedule the other day to find out when there would be games while we're on the TPR UK and Europe Trips!

Should be fun!

I'm sure the atmosphere throughout the entire continent will be amazing. I'd love to just watch the games over there, I don't even have to be in attendance. I've talked to people that went to the '06 WC in Germany and they said the whole country was a ridiculously large party for a month.

Pretty sure this thread was already started awhile ago, I even posted the bracket I made for a friendly bet I made with my cousin.

Either way, I always cheer for Italy (seeing as I'm half Italian), but I don't seem them winning it again. My money is on Germany taking it this year.

The World Cup is a great time! I typically root for the United States and Italy.

Josh Linn - Aw no more Orioles avatar?

In all seriously though, I have to disagree with your thoughts on the Ivory Coast team. I just don't think they have the make-up of a team that can have a legit shot at making a deep run. I say they are eliminated after group play.

The World Cup is a great time! I typically root for the United States and Italy.

Josh Linn - Aw no more Orioles avatar?

In all seriously though, I have to disagree with your thoughts on the Ivory Coast team. I just don't think they have the make-up of a team that can have a legit shot at making a deep run. I say they are eliminated after group play.

The Orioles aren't worthy of my avatar space anymore , they're freaking garbage.

I'll definitely check a few of the games out, but Soccer has never really been an interest of mine.

I think the main reason is the fact that you're watching a heated rivalry game, and know very well that it could end up in a tie. American's don't seem to really care for tie games in general. We want to see winners and losers, which is why, I think, soccer has had a hard time catching on here.

However, I'm glad that Soccer fans out there do get to have their moment in the sun with this every few years.

There's more to it than the game may end up in a tie.

Low Scoring.

Low Shots on goal count.

Whining and Diving.

No Commercial time outs.

90mins of very little happening.

There's more to it than the game may end up in a tie.

Low Scoring.

Low Shots on goal count.

Whining and Diving.

No Commercial time outs.

90mins of very little happening.

How no commercials is a bad thing is beyond me, and the players on the pitch rarely, if ever, stand still for more than a few seconds, so there's always something happening.

^ No commercials equals no add revenue. TV stations wont show games. Also when I watch sports i like to get up to get something to eat, drink, or use the bathroom and not miss any of the game.

ESPN bid a great deal of money to get the broadcasting rights to this World Cup and is providing extensive coverage on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ABC. It's the most popular tournament in the world, needless to say it's pretty profitable. It's probably the most lucrative sporting event other than the Summer Olympics, and it may even be ahead of that.

It's probably the most lucrative sporting event other than the Summer Olympics, and it may even be ahead of that.

The Super Bowl is #1. March Madness is probably right behind the olympics. The only reason the Olympics bring in a ton of money is because they last 17 days. I'd be impressed if the world cup was #3 in the US

While there may not be commercials, soccer games are usually "presented by ______"

My local beer bar doesn't have tvs... except during the world cup. Can't wait!

Edited by SharkTums

The World Cup might not be #1 in the states but I guarantee you it blows the crap out of any other sports competition aside from maybe the Olympics when you look at the world audience. Granted it might not be fair to compare those because most countries could probably care less if West Virginia beats Duke or who wins the Super Bowl. There might also be something to a numbers game for those half time commercials. If you've ever seen a Champions League game, which are sponsored by Heineken, their ads are on multiple times every commercial break and you have a huge audience that has to watch those few commercials. I wouldn't be shocked if those rights were amazingly expensive and if you wound up reaching a similar amount of people, there's just less commercials. As for how exciting the games can be, I agree its weird for something to end as a tie, but outside of the group stages, that stops.

I was in Germany for the 2002 world cup during the US v. Germany game and for the final against Brazil. An absolutely awesome atmosphere especially for the final. Can't wait for school to be over and for the world cup to start. No idea who is really going to win this year. I thought England was going to have a pretty decent shot at it but now there are a lot of injuries and people sleeping with other player's wives, so I have no idea how far they'll go.

It's probably the most lucrative sporting event other than the Summer Olympics, and it may even be ahead of that.

lol

Don't be a dumbass.

The Super Bowl is #1. March Madness is probably right behind the olympics. The only reason the Olympics bring in a ton of money is because they last 17 days. I'd be impressed if the world cup was #3 in the US

While there may not be commercials, soccer games are usually "presented by ______"

My local beer bar doesn't have tvs... except during the world cup. Can't wait!

I was talking about globally.

That reminds me...if we fall flat on our face against Algeria/Slovenia like we did against the Czech Republic and, to a lesser extent, Ghana in '06, I'm going to go mad.

Our attack is going to be a glaring hole if Charlie Davies can't complete his miracle recovery...it's Jozy and a bunch of scrubs after him. It'd force us to put Donovan or Dempsey up top, and IMO they both don't really play their best up there.

I am definitely thinking about wearing an american flag t shirt while being in London for the UK add on trip this year. Yeah, I want to be "that guy"

I think you're underestimating how passionate the Brits are about the game. I would almost guarantee you will regret it!!