TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What park should have an Intamin Mega-Lite?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And... $15 million is quite a chunk of change for ANY park!! No matter what park would put one in, it would take several years to recoup the money spent.

After all that being said - My vote would be for IOA.

Move the kiddie Vekoma, and built another box to put it in (or in the existing JP Discovery Center). It could be like that scene where there had broom races, with great changes of direction (at least I think that was in a Harry Potter movie) and have visuals following you along the walls (like Space Mountain during Halloween).

I know. Stupid idea. But, that's how I would currently do it.

JJ - Who absolutely LOVES the "Mega-Lites"!!!

I couldn't help but notice this when skimming through the thread just now. With the rumor of a new attraction or 2 coming to JP in the next year, with one possibly being a coaster, how awesome would it be to have a Mega-Lite be that coaster. I know, slim chance. ...Though it's still nice to dream.

Ah, this infamous Intamin model, only 4 of them in the world and none in the US.

I don't think I'd want one at Michigan's Adventure and if one were to be installed, I'd be very grateful that it would be the first new coaster built for the park since 1999, but its not quite big enough. I mean if one of these were to be installed, Shivering Timbers would still be the largest coaster in the park. Not an issue, as of right now, but the tallest ride in the park needs to be something other than the Skycoaster there, which is 183ft tall. There have been plans drawn up for years for a 215ft tall hypercoaster to be installed, but its been put on the back burner since Cedar Fair took over and Morgan going into bankruptcy around that same time. I know that Chance has been itching to build another coaster under their name so this could be the opportunity for them to get started back up for parks that are looking for something that isn't going to cost major change compared to the other 2.

Now there are a couple other parks I can see getting a Mega-Lite, like Holiday World, where they have yet to even receive a major steel coaster and this would be perfect for them.

And see, this is where my mind gets split. The enthusiast in me would love to have one built there, but yet the GP thoughts are "why so short?" The one thing though that gets me worried is the fact that Intamin mentions OTSR as an option. I guess I'm saying there's higher priorities, but as the closest Mega-Lite to me is 7 time zones away in Europe, the chance of me riding one is slim to none, so I have no idea how the ride is besides what's written down by the manufacturer and experiences by others.

But at the end of it all, yes, I'll gladly have them install a Mega-Lite if the opportunity comes up!

Edited by Lareson

If Intamin could drop the price to somewhere around 11 million dollars, I'd love to see a park like SFDK or Kennywood to get one. I have heard no good things about Exterminator and the demolition of it could lead to some great things.

What are you talking about?

Mgea-lites cost around 7 million euros, or around 8-9 million dollars. The whole point of them are to be affordable, and avalible for all parks.

If Intamin could drop the price to somewhere around 11 million dollars, I'd love to see a park like SFDK or Kennywood to get one. I have heard no good things about Exterminator and the demolition of it could lead to some great things.

Mgea-lites cost around 7 million euros, or around 8-9 million dollars. The whole point of them are to be affordable, and avalible for all parks.

The only Megalite on RCDB.com that has a pricing stat for it was Kawasemi, and that cost about 14.6 million USD. Which one cost that little?

EDIT: I now know that much of Kawasemi was built over water, making it a bit more expensive. Maybe you're right.

^^Of course not. It may not be true to layout/size/intensity of the other MegaLites, but I could see Intamin making a smaller version. Maybe then America will finally get one.

Okay, you didn't word your original post well because you made it sound like you thought Intamin would offer a Megalite at a discount to a U.S. park just so one would be built.

Mgea-lites cost around 7 million euros, or around 8-9 million dollars. The whole point of them are to be affordable, and available for all parks.

The price that's been released out of the 4 was Kawasemi at Tobu Zoo Park. That one was around $14mil in 2008 pricing. Now of course the price is going to be cheaper in Europe because, well, Intamin is located right in Switzerland, and can ship directly from the factory fairly cheap. More than likely the cost of it to be installed, shipped, and built over here in the US would be right around $12-$14mil depending on location, like Kawasemi. This is on the cheaper end of Intamin's larger coasters, but isn't nowhere near as affordable as $9mil for a steel coaster this size.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Intamin built all of their coasters over in Europe then shipped them over here, hence why their coasters cost a bit more than B&M who built a majority of theirs here in Ohio.

1. Holiday World

2. Beech Bend

3. Indiana Beach

4. Mt. Olympus

5. Coney Island (Cincy)

Honorable Mention Kentucky Kingdom

Yes, because, you know, a place like Beech Bend of Coney Island in Cincy have the type of budget to drop $15 million.

The twister waterslides had a total price tag of $15 million all together.

The only Megalite on RCDB.com that has a pricing stat for it was Kawasemi, and that cost about 14.6 million USD. Which one cost that little?

EDIT: I now know that much of Kawasemi was built over water, making it a bit more expensive. Maybe you're right.

Yes, it is built above a lake, that drives up the price a bit. The ride also has a earthquake system. And it's built in Japan.

All of the reasons above adds to the cost.

A regular Mega-lite, like Piraten, built on a flat piece of land will cost you €7 millions, or about $8-9 millions (but considering coasters are cheaper on average to build in the U.S, it could be even less). Really, they are not pricey coasters.

Now of course the price is going to be cheaper in Europe because, well, Intamin is located right in Switzerland, and can ship directly from the factory fairly cheap. More than likely the cost of it to be installed, shipped, and built over here in the US would be right around $12-$14mil depending on location, like Kawasemi.

You don't buy a ride for the U.S from Intamin, you buy it from Intaride, witch is the U.S divison of Intamin.

Pretty much all of you're logic above is wrong.

This is on the cheaper end of Intamin's larger coasters, but isn't nowhere near as affordable as $9mil for a steel coaster this size.

As I allready said, my prices are correct. The Mega-lite's are a cheap, high quality rollercoaster, that is meant to be avalible for all parks. The size of the Mega-lite is rather small.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Intamin built all of their coasters over in Europe then shipped them over here, hence why their coasters cost a bit more than B&M who built a majority of theirs here in Ohio.

Intamin build their track and support's in 4 different factories, and it's always depend on where it is most favorable for the company to build at the time.

And Intamin's are extremely rarely more expensive than a B&M of the same size.

The twister waterslides had a total price tag of $15 million all together.

You obviously have no clue about prices of the water park industry.

$15 million will buy you a small water park, wave pool and all.

The complex you mention looks to be about $2 million.

Edit: $1,7 million to be exact, according to http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/twister09.php

Edited by _koppen

How about a Mega-Lite on that additional 10 acres of land that was recently purchased by Fun Spot America in Orlando? Obviously, that is dreaming really, REALLY BIG for this small park, but who knows what the future holds for FSA. If their current ride expansion turns out to be hugely successful, just imagine if FSA somehow pulled off a Mega-Lite further down the road! If nothing else, it's just something fun to think about.

^^^I didn't believe you at first, but according to this source you were right about the pricing. (9-10 Million USD)

Source: http://politiken.dk/turengaartil/rejsenyt/bedste_vaerste/ECE1120481/toer-du-proeve-nordens-nye-rutsjebanegys/

However, when looking at rides that have similar price tags (Outlaw Run, NTAG), you can tell why these will probably never become popular: they don't have enough marketability.

Edited by TXman308

How about a Mega-Lite on that additional 10 acres of land that was recently purchased by Fun Spot America in Orlando? Obviously, that is dreaming really, REALLY BIG for this small park, but who knows what the future holds for FSA. If their current ride expansion turns out to be hugely successful, just imagine if FSA somehow pulled off a Mega-Lite further down the road! If nothing else, it's just something fun to think about.

I doubt that. White Lightning is basically the same concept, just wooden.

they don't have enough marketability.

Exactly!

Marketing wise these rides are simply boring.

If your park is building a coaster that is expected to be rated in the Top 10 in Mitch's Poll and you can't market it... Well then you are a f'n idiot and should be fired!