TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gravity Group to build coaster at Happy Valley, Wuhan, China

It will be interesting to see how they pull this off. The trains are going to have to pull some G's to keep you in your seat or it will be an uncomfortable ride just flipping a train on its side. I wager it won't be like the drawing they released.

Fluch von Novgorod pretty much does it.

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p23165.jpg

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my demo of the HIGH 5 element. I know it's not the greatest quality but it show what it will look like...

Not quite. If you look at the concept art, the trains are going in the same direction, so it wouldn't be a flyby.

• 4 months later...

The proper renderings has been put up on the Gravity Group's Gravitycast.

http://thegravitygroup.com/gravitycast/from-the-iaapa-expo-renderings-of-happy-valley-in-wuhan-china/

I might be seeing things wrong but it looks like the finish line will be inside the station on those middle tracks. That should create a nice atmosphere in the station where waiting passengers can watch those trains race for the finish line.

Edit: And here's a POV video from both sides.

It's rather odd the station platforms are separated the way they are... I wonder how they'll place the control booth.

I like how the drops are intertwined, but I also wonder how that will affect timing. Different layouts are common on dueling coasters, but on a racer the tolerances are slim if you want both parts of the ride to time practically the same. (Apparently No-Limits has an issue with that too) And that section from the first turnaround to where the track runs along the lift is a dead ringer for Lightning Racer's second outbound run, just stretched out a bit and reversed (LR ending in a similar turnaround instead of beginning with the element). Not that I don't like what they have done, I just wish their [*first?] signature racer was also a little more original.

*[Hopefully by now Holiday World is thinking they need a racer to round out their collection.]

I know those aren't the 'colors' of the roller coaster but I'm just curious if GG is going with wooden supports on this bad boy, or if its going to be steel?

IIRC:

This is a Martin & Vleminckx ride, and I believe all the rides they've been majorly involved in have used wooden supports (Boardwalk Bullet and Fireball). I would assume these rides will have wooden supports, although i'm not sure if they'll be painted blue and red like they are in the renderings....

In all seriousness I never plan on traveling far to just go to an amusement park. In fact I am going to be in Orlando, FL all next week and it's not because of Disneyworld or Busch Gardens. I mean if we had some time it would be in the plans, but I'm going down to see my sister and go to the beach.

Perhaps you are just not an enthusiast? Whenever I travel the first thing I do is see what parks are nearby and if a visit is feasible. Also, when planning trips, proximity to parks usually plays a role.

If I had money to go to China, I would definitely plan several theme park visits without a doubt.

It's not very often we see a new racing/dueling coaster and even though this is a Gravity Group design it sure looks like they took some inspiration from Lightning Racer in certain sections. This is truly an amazing looking coaster however the test will really come when we see how well maintained these Chinese parks keep their wood coasters.

That "High Five" element looks sick, in a good way, in the second rendering.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps it's just a function of how realistic the NoLimits is, but I find it strange that the trains aren't together for the first drop -- there's a pre-drop on one of the tracks. Also, the view of the other train at a lot of racing and dueling sections is blocked by the banking of one of the tracks. I hope that isn't actually the case, because that ruins the appeal of a racing/dueling coaster.

• 1 month later...
Perhaps it's just a function of how realistic the NoLimits is, but I find it strange that the trains aren't together for the first drop -- there's a pre-drop on one of the tracks. Also, the view of the other train at a lot of racing and dueling sections is blocked by the banking of one of the tracks. I hope that isn't actually the case, because that ruins the appeal of a racing/dueling coaster.

I agree, the layout seems to be not as strong with the train to train interaction comparatively to the interaction that GCI has in their dueling coasters. The only element that really strikes me is the high five and that element will only work if the math has been properly done so that the trains consistently arrive together at the element.

A bunch of the duelers have a staggered 1st drop. NoLimits seems to not be able to model a dispatch offset very well. The one train has about a half-second lead on the other.