TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gravity Group to build coaster at Happy Valley, Wuhan, China

I've never been on Wooden Warrior or Twister, but the Timberliner car that Gravity Group had on display at IAAPA this year was absurdly comfortable.

It seems as though all of the coasters that Gravity Group designed but M&V built (or, in this case, are building) have the PTC trains. Boardwalk Bullet, Fireball, Zippin Pippin, and these new racers were all built by M&V.

Twister and Wooden Warrior were designed and built by Gravity Group; Hades and Voyage were built before the Timberliner trains were debuted.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been on Wooden Warrior or Twister, but the Timberliner car that Gravity Group had on display at IAAPA this year was absurdly comfortable..

100% agreed. I was very surprised at how comfy they were. Although they look a little awkward, they are super comfy!

^I hate when people say that...especially 16 year olds! Dude, you're young, you have your whole life in front of you, why would you make a comment like that?

*Note, if you have some terminal disease you haven't told us about or are banned from China, I understand.

It seems as though all of the coasters that Gravity Group designed but M&V built (or, in this case, are building) have the PTC trains. Boardwalk Bullet, Fireball, Zippin Pippin, and these new racers were all built by M&V.

Twister and Wooden Warrior were designed and built by Gravity Group; Hades and Voyage were built before the Timberliner trains were debuted.

Every coaster you mentioned in that first line, other than these new racers, were all built before the advent of the Timberliners also.

It really is a shame to see these run with PTCs though... With what those things have done to Roar at SFA and Wildcat at Hershey, and the constant maintenance that rides like The Voyage and Hades require (though Hades doesn't get it), I'm shocked that they didn't follow through for these.

^I hate when people say that...especially 16 year olds! Dude, you're young, you have your whole life in front of you, why would you make a comment like that?

So I'm not the only one. I completely agree. I prefer to keep an optimistic mindset and see what happens! Couple that with thoughtful goal-setting and most people can accomplish a great deal of what they desire.

The Timberliner on Wooden Warrior was incredibly comfortable. We still have to wait and see if the maintenance benefits are as good as advertised, but it was definitely a comfy ride. It's a shame this ride doesn't have them, but maybe the Chinese will be better at maintaining a wooden coaster than some of our American parks are.

^I mean, *maybe* we'll see these bigger chain parks like Happy Valley actually invest in maintaining their rides? There's a huge jump between your typical Chinese amusement park and Happy Valley, where even their Superman clone is surrounded by massive rockwork. So hopefully they care enough about their rides to maintain them. You'll have to see how Fireball is holding up so far when you're back out there!

^I am *VERY* curious to see how Fireball is running.

You have to remember though, that even these bigger parks can have issues. Don't forget the park that GCI just built their giant coaster at is the same park that killed a bunch of people earlier in the year!

I know that a lot of the 'real' manufacturers are putting their own people and money into watching their rides for some time to confirm that they're being maintained properly, just don't know how long that it's feasible to keep that up.

^I am *VERY* curious to see how Fireball is running.

You have to remember though, that even these bigger parks can have issues. Don't forget the park that GCI just built their giant coaster at is the same park that killed a bunch of people earlier in the year!

I know that a lot of the 'real' manufacturers are putting their own people and money into watching their rides for some time to confirm that they're being maintained properly, just don't know how long that it's feasible to keep that up.

About as long as the departing technicians from GCI/GG to hear the safety speech on their flight back to the USA.

From what I understand of the Happy Valley parks is that they have put a lot of money in the "show" (the big-ticket rides, themeing, fancy facades, etc.) but there is still kind of a feeling of cheapness in everything. Especially when you when really look at the smaller details. Is that a fair assessment?

If that is true, I can see them easily letting the maintenance of these rides slide.

Edited by ernierocker

^Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying with Roar and Wildcat, Voyage and Hades. These trains tear these rides up, you can see by how much Holiday World has to spend year after year on Voyage trackwork and, now, brand new trains. And there's a reason why Roar is the only GCI left without PTCs. So if a park isn't ready to put a LOT of work in to a new, large-scale wooden ride with PTCs, then the outlook is pretty slim.

Has Gwazi came to anyone else's mind during this entire discussion?

For real. I rode Gwazi (Lion) earlier this month for the first time. I'm from the Kansas City area so I'm used to Prowler when it comes to GCI. I know, I'm spoiled because Prowler is only 2 years old, but WOW... Gwazi was straight up painful. I could only stand two rides, which is a shame because I really liked the layout. I had no expectation that it would be as rough as it was, especially with the new millennium flyers.

^The MF Trains didn't help at all. The ride is so beat to hell it just kills you. You could slap a lazyboy/Intamin train on it and it would still destroy your body. My ride on Lion at Busch Gardens Bash was in my top 5 worst wooden coaster rides EVER.