TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Poll: GCI vs B&M Invert

B&M Invert or GCI Woodie  

69 members have voted

1. 1. B&M Invert or GCI Woodie

• B&M Inverted Coaster (Like Montu or Patriot)
    • GCI Wooden (Like Prowler or Evil Kenevil)
    • Dueling (Either Manufacturer)

I have been researching coaster manufacturers for about a year now working on project that I can't say why or what or where it will be happening just yet, but, if you only had a spare 15 million to spend, would you spend it on a new GCI woodie or a B&M Invert. If you'd spend it on something else (A coaster of course) please let me know. Your answers will help determine which way the project is proposed. I realize this may seem a little odd asking for opinions in a forum as most companies like to keep it supper secret, but I like to ask people who would be potential customers. You can only get so much from research companies. This is legit and not someone trying to stir up hope trust me. Neither manufacturer has been contacted for a design as of yet. If the project is approved by the investor, I wouldn't expect any annoucment would be made for at least a year, although I might give a few hints here and there prior to the unveiling. If the project is killed, I'll update this post so that no one is looking for something that won't come to light. This is preliminary work.

Thanks!

Edited by chadster

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nitrofan: No other coasters or a park for that matter, actually, the site is a wooded undeveloped area that is being looked at for mixed entertainment usage. The only other ride to be installed is a large ferris wheel. If money is left over, I love S&S, just sayin'. Thats about all I can say about the area, sorry. I really wish I could say more.

I think YoshiFan makes an excellent point. Personally, I would prefer an intense B&M Invert. However, from a business/marketing point of view, the GCI seems the smarter choice. Aside from having a more "classic" look and feel, woodies are more inviting and accessible (psychologically speaking) to a larger audience, as opposed to a steel invert, which can be more menacing and intimidating to the average park goer. GCI all the way...just try to make sure that they throw some decent airtime into the design.

-Doug "simply adores Lightning Racer" Heim

Given that this will be a (mostly) stand-alone attraction, the GCI is a much better choice. Wooden coasters work well on their own outside a park, but I've never seen a stand-alone inverted coaster. Something similar to Terminator in size would probably be pretty good, and I believe that ride only cost $10 million so it would be a bit cheaper than an inverted coaster as well.

Well wooden coasters require more tlc than an inverted which can kinda justify the cost for going with an inverted. I personally like both but if it were me I would have to see both designs first before making an ultimate decision.

Is a dueling coaster even a real option? I doubt you could get a decent coaster for 7.5 million each, those would be short. Also, I've been thinking...what about something like a Eurofighter. They are cheap, intense, marketable due to steep drops, and have feet in many small parks as headliner attractions.

I would go with GCI that way you have extra cash on hand for whatever else you may need. The most expensive GCI was terminator at 10 million but most run about 6-7 million while B&M Inverts run 15 million or more. With B&M you may have to fight to stay within budget. With GCI you can have more freedom without worrying about going over budget.

On another note, You might want to include Gravity Group in your research! I would go with them over GCI and both are in the same price range.

Multiple successful parks have started out with a new GCI and have done quite well. I think that will be your best bet; however,I would look into other wooden coaster manufacturers such as Gravity Group (along the lines of Ravine Flyer II) or possibly Intamin (Balder)if you are looking for a bit more of a thrill.

Hopefully your project goes well.

Best of luck,

HCL

I'd definitely go for the GCI as a stand-alone coaster, cause it will probably look a lot more impressive with no coasters around it and it aims at families as well as thrill-seekers and enthusiasts. Apparantly it's cheaper, so that's quite an advantage as well!

^ Cheaper to build, more expensive to maintain.

Compromise: Small B&M hyper coaster.

Strictly from a marketing standpoint, the problem seems to be this: Half the general public thinks that anything that doesn't go upsidedown is going to be lame, while the other half is frightened off by anything that does go upsidedown. Pretty much none of them can distinguish between wooden coasters, and will most likely believe that they've already ridden it somewhere else.

I would pick the type of coaster the most people seem to be exhilarated by when exiting. (Which would probably be an Intamin hyper, actually. But B&M hypers do pretty well, also.)

It kinda depends on location, etc. For example, in england we have 2 (awesommeee) B&M inverts, but no GCI woodies, so in that case if you want to build in england (please ;D) then I'd say GCI, but in other occasions I might say B & M invert. if that makes sense lol

Although I haven't ridden a GCI, all I know is that B & M inverts are great, and that GCI's are meant to be, so best of luck with the project

Thanks for the terriffic feedback guys, it is much appreciated, keep it coming!

To answer a few points brough up, 15 million is a ballpark amount, their is more available to go over (or way over) the top if needed (based on research, historical data on preferrences, and what might be the best draw to the area) which is why I brought up the dueling coaster idea, maybe even similar to Gwazi (but not as rough!!) To answer another subject that was brought up, this would be state side, but NOT in or near my home town listed on my profile. Sorry okie's.

Again, thanks for the great input!!!!!

1. Who’s your target market?

Your target market and attraction mix (a coaster and a ferris wheel?) will determine the best choice. Both are good choices.

1a. If it’s a mix entertainment venue, like you’ve stated, what’s that mix?

If you have more family oriented venues, stick with family (i.e. wood coaster). If you plan to expand the mix and if family is decently covered, go with a thrill (i.e. inverted coaster). If it’s a -would be- teen hangout like malls, movies, etc., it would really depend on your long term goals. Most will only ride one available coaster a limited number of times.

Remember, noise. Will there be neighbors (i.e. NIMBY) prior to development? A wood coaster may be out and the non-dampened B&M roar even more so. There's additional cost to quiet them.

2. You’re very focused on GCI and B&M. You said you haven’t contacted them yet. Will they and can they make the product you seek in your project timeline?

3. What’s your projected attendance and do those numbers support a $15 million attraction?

4. If you can invest up to $15 million in one attraction, could you split the difference and gain two solid attractions instead of one? Perhaps a solid wood coaster with a couple of thrilling flat rides?

These questions aren’t meant to be answered here. Just possibly helping you go deeper to find the right answer to this question along with the responses you receive. You may already know these things.

My answer:

A steel mega-lite or hyper by Intamin. I know that isn’t a given option, but it’s the best of both your options. It meets all criteria. Any dueling coaster wouldn’t be the best for your initial resources.

I would go with a GCI if I were you, gauranteed awesome rides, re-rideability, and to be honest, they age AMAZINGLY. Lightning Racer is 10 years old this year and still runs like glass, it's amazing, some beemers start to ensue headbanging, so for future standpoints, GCI is for you. Plus, with that budget, a woodie allows you to have plenty left over, just look at how GCI has been pumping out coasters that have all gotten rave reviews, so that'd be the choice if that were me!

I would go with GCI. I haven't been on the mega B&Ms, but I have been on all the ones in California and they, while forceful, don't have the "holy cr@p" moment that woodies do (except for Tatsu's pretzel roll). When I think of hypothetically making an amusement park, I imagine I'd build up to a B&M later on. I'd start with a junior woodie, a mine train (I'm sure S&S could make one), then a larger woodie (pretty much copying Carowinds' progression over the years). I'd draw the families first, then later on show that I mean business by installing a steel roller coaster (maybe 4 years down the line)

And I found Batman the Ride too intense, and Silver Bullet was mediocre for 15 million dollars (I mean, I read Sheikra was only 14 million dollars, and Medusa at Discovery Kingdom was 15 million dollars but longer so I'm guessing for Silver Bullet the price must have been for all the supports and steel needed to fit it into the park). So I vote for the GCI woodie, with the expectation that later on the park would install a steel roller coaster.