TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

iOS 7 is out.

The parallax effect is the most impressive thing in human history - for about a minute and a half. Turn it off under Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion, your battery will thank you.

Is the parallax effect really that hard on the batteries? I'm going to turn mine off and see if there's any improvement. It's neat but subtle that I probably won't even notice the difference.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that some people may run into a few snags with the fingerprint scan. I'm assuming it's utilizing the same technology as many of the other fingerprint ID-ing systems out there. At my work, we clock in and clock out via fingerprint and sometimes the device has difficulties reading...Most of the time the scanner window just needs a good cleaning/wipe down and it's good to go. Some people however just have trouble getting it to read.

iOS 7...getting used to it visually. Still looks strange, particularly the icons. Also, I don't know if any of you guys have had this hiccup but I seem to have difficulties getting the bottom slide up feature (quick access panel) to actually slide up. It seems as though I have to have my finger on a super precise spot.

image.thumb.jpg.ee5eda9e5c56f3b376d4e4c54b838e7d.jpg

Yup, that little bar in the lower center is what I have to work with and its 'hit detection' is rather minimal. Lock screen looks nice now!

I don't know if it's so minimal due to how close it is to the 'slide to unlock' hit area. Once it is open the panel itself is pretty sweet, no fumbling through my settings to turn on WiFi, brightness, etc.

Honestly I'm impressed with how well the fingerprint scanner works. I have had 0 issues with mine thus far. I also am blown away with the speed of the phone. I upgraded from a 4S and this one craps all over that one when it comes to speed.

As for iOS 7, I so far love it. I can get over the mismatched look of the icons because the rest is so pretty. I also love that folders are unlimited on space now.

Anyone gone from a 5 to a 5s yet? I'm considering it but not convinced to make the upgrade yet.

I have! I like it. I am one of those people that like to upgrade every year. All you're getting is a finger print scanner and better cameras. If you like to game on your phone, I guess you'll see a difference in that too. I ended up getting the black/space grey, and there's actually a noticeable color difference between the 5 black and the 5s space grey. Definitely enjoying the phone and iOS 7.

What are the major upgrades in the camera that you've noticed? I normally also like to upgrade with each model purely just for the camera. I haven't gone down to the Apple store yet to get the 5S because I'm not one of those "need it the first day it comes out" people, but I imagine I'll go down there within the next month or so...

What are the major upgrades in the camera that you've noticed? I normally also like to upgrade with each model purely just for the camera. I haven't gone down to the Apple store yet to get the 5S because I'm not one of those "need it the first day it comes out" people, but I imagine I'll go down there within the next month or so...

Some of the camera upgrades I've noticed; the auto image stabilization is really great. I'm always really shaky and my images come out great. The low light features are great. As promised, the ability for the phone to take photos in lower light settings is fantastic! When I have facetimed, people are saying they notice a clearer image of me on their end because of the front facing camera. The Slowmotion is really cool too, but I'm assuming that is available in iOS 7 as a whole. You can put the 5 and 5s side by side taking pictures, the 5s will out do the 5 every time.

^ Hmm... burst mode shouldn't have anything to do with the color in your photos. Burst most should just allow you to take a high number of pictures, rapidly, in sequence.

Normally, yes! What is cool is that Apple made it so that they actually merge all the photos together and create one photo with the best of each photo taken during burst mode!

^ Hmm... burst mode shouldn't have anything to do with the color in your photos. Burst most should just allow you to take a high number of pictures, rapidly, in sequence.

Normally, yes! What is cool is that Apple made it so that they actually merge all the photos together and create one photo with the best of each photo taken during burst mode!

Oooooh. I'm not sure I'd be a fan of that. Especially for the reasons I used burst mode for. I'm assuming that's an option you can turn off?

The burst mode is just like the burst mode of any other camera. The only difference is Apple put it in the software that it will recommend the ones its algorithm thinks are the best (indicted by a grey dot underneath when you hit favorites to view the whole burst).

• 2 weeks later...

My iPad 2 does not like IOS 7. My iphone 4s is fine, except for some minor imessage issues, but my iPad had to be completely restored, and the backup didn't work fully. I had to spend a ton of time putting all my apps back into folders and adding in all my logins and email stuff. It still is having some hiccups, the most annoying of which is that it won't let me sign in to iCloud at all.