TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last couple of weeks I've seen fake lightning cables finally make it to ebay. Apparently they've had a tough time trying to duplicate them because of the active switching chip.

Currently running about £10, hopefully they'll drop a bit more by xams and I'll get a few!

Clearly the iPad Mini is a flop.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/11/05Apple-Sells-Three-Million-iPads-in-Three-Days.html

Apple Sells Three Million iPads in Three Days

Wi-Fi Only Models of New iPad mini & Fourth Generation iPad Double Previous First Weekend Sales

CUPERTINO, California—November 5, 2012—Apple® today announced it has sold three million iPads in just three days since the launch of its new iPad® mini and fourth generation iPad—double the previous first weekend milestone of 1.5 million Wi-Fi only models sold for the third generation iPad in March. The Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will ship in a few weeks in the US and in many more countries later this year.

“Customers around the world love the new iPad mini and fourth generation iPad,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We set a new launch weekend record and practically sold out of iPad minis. We're working hard to build more quickly to meet the incredible demand.”

Would be interesting to see the breakdown between Minis and the 4th generation iPad, but hard to scoff at 3 million of anything in a weekend, especially since they aren't selling the LTE equipped Minis yet.

We were going to get the mini but I didn't feel like waiting in-line for hours. Since we wanted to have it before my wife's hospital stay next week we went with the Nexus 7 to hold us over. So far though I really like it and it will be perfect for what we need it for. We'll end up getting the mini eventually and giving the Nexus to my son.

Clearly the iPad Mini is a flop.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/11/05Apple-Sells-Three-Million-iPads-in-Three-Days.html

Apple Sells Three Million iPads in Three Days

Wi-Fi Only Models of New iPad mini & Fourth Generation iPad Double Previous First Weekend Sales

CUPERTINO, California—November 5, 2012—Apple® today announced it has sold three million iPads in just three days since the launch of its new iPad® mini and fourth generation iPad—double the previous first weekend milestone of 1.5 million Wi-Fi only models sold for the third generation iPad in March. The Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will ship in a few weeks in the US and in many more countries later this year.

“Customers around the world love the new iPad mini and fourth generation iPad,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We set a new launch weekend record and practically sold out of iPad minis. We're working hard to build more quickly to meet the incredible demand.”

Would be interesting to see the breakdown between Minis and the 4th generation iPad, but hard to scoff at 3 million of anything in a weekend, especially since they aren't selling the LTE equipped Minis yet.

Definitely a dumb move on Apple's part. It's obvious that they are too overpriced and there wouldn't be enough demand like some people said.

If I had the money I would totally get one and do this with it!

Considering that the original iPad 2 was $499, I think that the price of the iPad mini is fair enough. I highly dislike that much of the Android and Windows fan bases are calling people who buy the iPad mini "sheep" though. It's a perfectly competent device, and it's great for people who want a smaller iPad to fit in a purse or a camera bag or whatever.

So, I've had my iPHone 5 for a little over a week now, and I am really loving it aside from a few things. One problem I am having is that I can't seem to upload videos to facebook. When I try to, it only gives me the options to upload to youtube or to send a message or an email. Does anyone know if it's possible to upload videos and how to do so? Thanks a lot.

You can upload videos from inside the Facebook app, but the Facebook app is absolutely terrible. I never use it to upload photos or videos. Robb recommended iLoader and it works great. I've been using for a while now and it is so much better and easier to use. Never had any problems uploading photos or videos with it.

Here we go again...

www.digitimes.com/news/a20121112PB200.html

Apple is expected to begin trial production of a new version of its iPhone 5, or iPhone 5S, in December with initial production volumes likely to top 50,000-100,000 units, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report.

Rumors rumors rumors.

Finally got my iPad Mini today. I love the small form factor of it, but the screen really sucks. Video is fine, but text isn't as sharp as it should be. And text is pretty darn important to a tablet. I suggest waiting it out until the Retina version comes along, which should not be too long.

I have an iPhone question about carriers.

I was going to get my old iPhone 4's power button repaired and give it to my wife. My current carrier is AT&T since mine is provided by my work and my wife's contract though is with Sprint. The wife went to the Sprint store to ask about activating this once repaired and they said she needed to buy a new iPhone from Sprint since they are carrier specific. I thought all you needed to do was wipe the thing and replace with a specific carrier SIM card. Am I wrong here or is Sprint trying to pull a fast one?

Sprint is a CDMA carrier, along with Verizon. The CDMA iPhone 4's hardware is pretty different from the GSM hardware used on AT&T's iPhone.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

Theoretically, a CDMA iPhone 4 can be activated on any US carrier that uses the CDMA standard, but I'm not sure what Sprint does. Either way, that iPhone 4 you have won't work on AT&T. The slightly-more expensive iPhone 4S and more-expensive iPhone 5 are both dual-mode phones, though.

So, to answer your question, Sprint is half-right. You do have to buy a new iPhone to put it on AT&T's network, but you're absolutely NOT required to buy one through Sprint unless you want to stay on their network.

I have an iPhone question about carriers.

I was going to get my old iPhone 4's power button repaired and give it to my wife. My current carrier is AT&T since mine is provided by my work and my wife's contract though is with Sprint. The wife went to the Sprint store to ask about activating this once repaired and they said she needed to buy a new iPhone from Sprint since they are carrier specific. I thought all you needed to do was wipe the thing and replace with a specific carrier SIM card. Am I wrong here or is Sprint trying to pull a fast one?

I bought an iPhone 4 for $150 off Craigslist. The girl meet me at a Verizon store (its was a Verizon iPhone), and the representative said he gets this all the time. When you bring in another iPhone that fits that carriers model (CDMA or GSM), its considered a 'replacement' phone. No fees you pay to Verizon and more importantly, no two year contract!

• 4 months later...
Who wants their smartphone screen on just one side when they can have it on both? A new Apple patent applicationpublished today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office details a device that ditches a flat design and instead goes for a flexible, wraparound AMOLED display. This could have huge implications for future iPhones.

Instead of sharp edges, the curved, wraparound design would allow for a wider selection of items on display, so users could hypothetically view 10 apps on their screen instead of, say, 5, and view photos, videos and text on their screen from all 360 degrees around. Plus, going for a wraparound display would abandon physical buttons, so users would be fully reliant on touch gestures to use their device.

The patent also points out a way to include two flexible displays, one laying on top of the other. Although content on both displays would be the same, it would look a bit different and look almost 3D. “An illusion of depth perception can be presented mimicking a 3D experience,” the patent reads. This could also be used with a heads-up display, basically building a second screen into one device. The patent also mentions built-in facial recognition.

Apple has applied for patents regarding flexibility before, such as the “Electronic Devices With Flexible Displays” patent last year. Other device makers have this same concept on their minds, too, such as Samsung. Rumor has it that the Galaxy Note 3 will have the world’s first “unbreakable” flexible display, but that’s just for the front of a device.

If Apple actually executes something like this, it will definitely change the way we use smartphones, though we suspect case makers wouldn’t be too happy.

apple.png.28919532626fad20f4599382a6db5fac.png

Looks cool but I think it'd be difficult for those of us who just like to have our phones in our pocket vs a cell phone holder. I always try and put the display side of my phone towards my body when it's in my pocket. In my mind it's less likely to get broken that way (although I'm sure that's not really true).

Well, if it happens and it becomes the norm, I assume I will get used to it. Can't really figure out what the exact benefit of doing this is, but we'll see what happens.

With how fast mobile technology is advancing, I could see its main use being multitasking. Have one app running on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I can see the use for multitasking but I can't think of anything else it would be useful for.

I no longer keep my iphone in a case. It goes in my front left pocket and everything else like coin and keys go in the right. That way I don't risk scratching the face. Makes the phone a lot smaller with out the case and I have yet to break a screen.

I have a question for those of you with AT&T (I have Verizon).

Their commercials always put that you can talk and surf the web at the same time as some kind of awesome benefit. I honestly can't think of any time where this would be something I've needed. Do any of you use this feature?