TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

According to the New York Times, iOS will get Google maps. Apparently, this delay is Apple's fault for not giving Google much advanced notice that Google Maps was being kicked off of the default install of iOS. Google only found out about this back in June.

Perhaps Apple thought that Apple Maps would be better by now than it turned out to be. But realistically I'm not sure how they thought it could be that great compared to Google who has a several year head start and thousands of people working on Google Maps. Sounds like sheer arrogance to me.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who is rather annoyed that they seperate Podcasts into its own app? It's just not as seamless.

I kind of like the new podcasts app myself. I can have instant access to the 4 or 5 podcasts I regularly listen to without having to go to itunes and search and check for new content and download each podcast individually. Give it a chance, I think it makes the podcasts much more accessible.

Am I the only one who is rather annoyed that they seperate Podcasts into its own app? It's just not as seamless.

I kind of like the new podcasts app myself. I can have instant access to the 4 or 5 podcasts I regularly listen to without having to go to itunes and search and check for new content and download each podcast individually. Give it a chance, I think it makes the podcasts much more accessible.

After playing around with it a bit more, I am starting to like it better, however, you still can't make playlists of several different podcasts, which seems to be the biggest gripe. Overall I think it is an improvement, and may actually make podcasts more accessible for people.

Perhaps Apple thought that Apple Maps would be better by now than it turned out to be. But realistically I'm not sure how they thought it could be that great compared to Google who has a several year head start and thousands of people working on Google Maps. Sounds like sheer arrogance to me.

To me, it's hard to see Apple Maps ever being as good as Googles offering. The big thing for me is Streetview, which Google can afford to justify on the basis of a huge userbase on desktop, as well as a variety of other platforms.

On the other hand, I could never see Apple going out with it's own fleet of camera cars to get their own set of streetview data, just woudn't be economical considering the proportionally smaller userbase.

Apple's maps as a whole probably won't ever be as good as Google Maps because of all the initiatives Google is taking, such as Street View. That being said, the actual maps in Apple Maps will eventually rise to the caliber of Google, Bing, and others through further development and crowdsourcing.

The "report a problem" button is there for a reason, though I wish Apple did what TomTom and Google do - let users submit straight-up map corrections.

So I ended up breaking down and buying the iPhone 5 when it came out. I have had it since the day it was released. Never had a problem with it. Loved it. So slim, and the 4G on Verizon is amazingly fast... But lately I have been having some "glithces" Whenever I go to slide through my home screen, like to the next page of icons it will freeze half way between the two pages. I will have to lock the phone then unlock the phone before it will go to the next page. Then half the time when I go to unlock the phone when I "slide to unlock" it acts as if I am NOT sliding. Not sure if this is a glitch with all of the iPhone 5's or if I just got a bad apple. But at this point I would NOT suggest this phone to anyone until the get the bugs worked out. However it is super light, and the back of the phone is amazingly smooth!!! Anyone else having these issues with their iPhone 5, or recently to iOS 6 iphone?!?

~Matt

^^Apple has enough cash on hand to solve any problem. Like paying companies to do all that for them.

I guess the other concern I have is inertia to even provide it again the first place, even if the money is there. Will streetview be one of those many standard features that just gets omitted for long periods?

Ever since upgrading to iOS 6, I've run into nothing but disappointment.

The music app is the biggest offender in my eyes, since it's my most-used app. Not only is the new toolbar (where you tap the Artists, Songs, etc. icons) hideous now, but there are times when I'll click a song, and it simply refuses to play it and skips to the next one. Or it may even do it for the next one, and skip who knows how many songs forward. These are songs that I have bought legally from the iTunes store, so it's not an attempt to fight piracy... I have no idea what's going on. An example of a song that it's doing it for, if any of you have it and want to test it, is "Epic" by Faith No More.

Then there's the App Store redesign. It's slower, more cumbersome, and just more annoying to use than ever before. Dunno how else to say it, it just sucks.

I like the absence of the old YouTube app, though. The official one from Google is much, much more pleasant. So there's a plus, I guess?

^At least you are able to order one. I'm still trying to get Verizon to allow me to buy the phone at the subsidized price. Otherwise the 5s will be out before I can upgrade.

^^^ they were late with copy & paste as well, but the solution was great. Sometimes you just have to wait a little longer.

The frustration this time is that they replaced something that worked amazingly well with something that kinda sucks.

I completely agree, sorry I didn't make a very good point with the cut & paste thing. I wouldn't have minded if they worked this in the background or made it an app store app that you could use while they developed it while still having google maps on the home screen. This may well be a good long term move for Apple, but I wish they didn't force users arms while they made the switch.

Welp

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10000872396390443635404578033684191275730-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwMzAwODM3Wj.html

It's expected to have similar internals to the iPad 2, and take the iPad 2's spot in the store.

There has been rumors of Google updating the Nexus 7 and either dropping the current models price to $99 or making a new model at that price.

With Nook, Kindle, Google, and now Apple having 7inchish tablets, I think this holiday season will be tablet wars!

I've been on iOS6 now since the upgrade, and Im really not liking it.

First, Im not a fan of having the Podcasts on a separate app. Im a minimalist when it comes to my 'home' screens. Less icons = better!

Second, the removal of Maps really annoys me. The new program isn't bad, but I enjoyed Google's much more. Also, because I have the iPhone 4, the spoken turn-by-turn directions are not included. I think this is what really gets me. The technology is there and in my phone to allow spoken words, but why won't Apple allow it?! It's probably something they want customers to 'upgrade' for....even thought the technology is already in their phones.

Last, YouTube. This may not be so much of an Apple issue, it may be a Google issue. Every morning, I listen to a radio show as I get ready for work. I used to play it through "YouTube" (or videos?) and be able to do background things (check emails, send texts, run other apps, etc). Now, YouTube has to be open for it to play. The screen stays lit, draining battery life, and you can't even lock the screen without the video shutting off. Not a fan of that. Huge bother to me.

I do however enjoy the remodel of the music app and the app store. It's much more aesthetic and flows better.

This is the first time in 2 years I've thought about going to a Galaxy. There are so many features that Apple should allow, but I just feel like their high nose corporation knows that people will go crazy for something that's just mediocre.

In all, I believe the new Galaxy commercials hit spot on with how I feel about Apple.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my black 32GB iPhone 5 since launch day & love it! I haven't had any problems with the maps or camera. Once in a while it is a little laggy & froze once but apart from that it's great! Definitely going to be my phone for a few years!

I think that Apple doesn't include the spoken turn by turn because of the processor that is inside of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4s processor is a bit faster and then the iPhone 5 has the A6 that is awesome for a mobile device. They didn't include the spoken turn by turn on the iPhone 4 I am sure because it would have been too laggy and glitchy. Apple likes their devices to run smoothly and efficiently. This is something that Android doesn't do. Not to mention, the Android app store doesn't review the content of Applications before being released into the App store for downloading, there for, a lack of security, combined with software that could include harmful pieces within it can make it dangerous to put private information on your phone. I am not saying that one is better than the other, because at the end of the day, there is no argument, Android users like their phones for their reasons, and iPhone users enjoy their phones for their own reasons. It is not up to anyone to sway a decision or argue which device is better.

Cyrus

I think that Apple doesn't include the spoken turn by turn because of the processor that is inside of the iPhone 4....I am sure because it would have been too laggy and glitchy.

I find that very difficult to believe:

-Low spec car navigation units have had spoken voice commands for years. We've owned a satnav of some form since 2004.

-Yet you say an iPhone (Even the first model ever released), which is capable of video streaming, media playback, 3D gamres etc would suddenly become "laggy" and glitchy when tasked with playing a simple little soundbite like "Turn left in 200m" at the right time?

-Siri was available as a standalone app before Apple acquired it, and it could run on older models anyway.

-Similarly, 3rd party navigation apps have been available for a while with spoken commands, and previous models could handle them fine.

...The only reason spoken navigation wasn't included previously was because it's omission in earlier models becomes a means of getting people to upgrade to newer ones, or because they simply couldn't be bothered, simple as that.

^I don't think there is any question it is a simple matter of product differentiation. The newest iPhone is always going to get the cool new features first, and then they eventually trickle down until the typical 2-3 year support cycle for iPhone's ends.

I mentioned this on my facebook page Sunday but thought I'd share it here, but over the course of the last weekend I used the Apple Maps app to navigate a trip though rural low service areas of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama and the thing worked turn by turn without a single problem and got me to and from all 4 destinations (and through a few tricky confusing back roads). So the Maps App isn't that big of a deal in my opinion, it works just fine.

Did anyone see the SNL sketch about the iphone 5? Pretty funny stuff.