TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

I know that there is already an iPhone discussion thread, but I wanted to create this thread for a more specific purpose.

I recently have really gotten into mobile gaming on my iPhone. I know that the iPhone and Game Center has really taken off as a legitimate gaming platform.

There is only one problem, I don't really have any Game Center friends to play with. That is the purpose of this thread. To create a network of TPR iPhone gamers.

If you want to game with the TPR community share your Game Center nickname in this thread!

I'll start! My Game Center nickname is duggl.us (with the dot).

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the iPhone 4s (Sprint) last week. I don't know why I waited so long to get this phone. It's amazing. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of it. I do love Siri though, however when I ask where the nearest Carrabbas is, she replies "I don't understand where's the nearest karaba's."

• 2 months later...

IOS 5.1 was released.

Here is a list of fixes and new features. I for one am happy about the browser not bringing up bookmarks after being closed. Also, it is nice to have the camera available without having to unlock now. (Source = wikipedia & install on my own phone)

Initial release on iPad (3rd generation)

Enhanced Siri dictation support during text input "on supported devices" (iPhone 4S in 2011) [78]

Carrier updates (e.g. AT&T 12.0).

AT&T indicator now says "4G" when applicable (HSPA+, iPhone 4S only).

Baseband updates.

Battery life reportedly fixed.[79]

Fixes iPhone 4S support for Caller ID Name Display (on supported carriers – i.e. Rogers & Fido in Canada).

Users can now enter any Apple ID to sign-up for an iCloud account. Previously, they had to use (or create a new) me.com email Apple ID.

New Montesi Wallpaper

Images can now be removed manually from the Photo Stream in iCloud. Any photos deleted are now also removed from other iOS devices connected to iCloud.

Shake-to-shuffle bug fix, which caused the Music app to freeze.

The Setup Assistant caused an “infinite setup loop” for some users. When the setup was completed, the iPhone would jump back to a “thank you” screen ad infinitum. Users had to reboot the device to restore functionality.

Permanent Camera icon allows the user, while the phone is locked, to switch between the camera and lock screen by swiping from the lock screen upward using the camera icon or when in the camera mode downward from the top of the screen.

Bluetooth bug fix; enabling Bluetooth and returning to home screen, the Bluetooth icon still remains in the status bar.

Possible bug fixes on Wi-Fi signal strength on all devices.

Safari, list of Bookmarks no longer automatically displayed when opening the browser if the last page opened before closing was blank.

Safari, address bar added text (Go to this address).

Fixed Music coverflow slowdowns.

Minor UI changes in Maps.

Genius now available with iTunes Match

Improved Assistive Touch

Improved Location Services.

License column added under the About menu.

Support for Siri in Japanese.

Possible fix to Outgoing Call No Audio (OCNA) issue.[citation needed]

App Store download limit over 3G increased from 20 megabytes to 50 megabytes

Face detection in Camera app now tag faces with green boxes

Legal changes to Legal Notices in the "about" tab.

Redesigned Camera app on iPad 2

Smart playlists now appear in correct order on iPhone rather than reverse order

New speaker icon next to song name of song currently playing

Turn On/Off 3G toggle button restored on iPhone 4S

Combined Voice/Data Roaming Switch on iPhone

"Sleep iPod" function in clock application changed to "Stop Playing"

I then sold my iPhone 4 for $550, so it was a good decision!!

Holy crap, who is paying $550 for an older generation iPhone??? Did you jailbreak it and sell with a ton of music and apps/games or something?

Apple products hold an amazing resale value years after their release date, it's pretty crazy, actually.

• 6 months later...

iPhone 5 was announced today! What are everyone's thoughts???

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Here are some highlights:

- 4 inch screen up from the 3.7 in. iPhone 4S

- 7.6 mm thick making it the thinnest iPhone yet

- 20% lighter than 4S made entirely of aluminum and glass.

- Support for LTE 4G

- New quad-core A6 chip supposedly making it twice as fast as 4S

- New 8 pin wire connector called "Lightning". Yes, there will be an adapter, not announced if it will come included with new phones or not.

- Upgraded front-facing camera which should improve FaceTime video.

- 5 rows of apps now possible

- iOS 6 will include a turn-by-turn navigation Mapping (yes, bye bye Google Maps app), improved Siri functionality and improved camera features.

- Will start at $199 for a 16Gb model and will be available September 21st.

- iPhone 4S priced dropped to start at $99 and iPhone 4 will be free with contract.

Edited by ernierocker

^The rumors are that you will have to buy the adaptor and it will only be available from apple to begin with (they don't want to let their 3rd party suppliers in on that cash just yet).

I love my android phone (and I'm sure android fanboys will be complaining that android already has many of these features...the difference is Apple packages it all together in the perfect ecosystem that allows for bug free apps/great battery life/simple experience everyone can enjoy), but this sure is a tempting reason to try and break my contract. If nothing else, I will definitely be buying the new iPod Touch!!

I was kind of surprised at the price of the new phone, seems like I remember the 4 and 4s be quite a bit more expensive when it was initially released. Looks like a great phone, and I'm sure it is. Sometimes I wish Apple would just slow down bit between releases, I just got an Iphone 4 and Ipad 2 for Christmas and barely 7 months later both of my devices will be out of date haha.

I pretty much assumed that they will charge you for the adapter, but I just hadn't seen it officially announced.

I checked the Apple website and according to the upgrade check, I can get the full discounted pricing and my upgrade date is November. Maybe, they are doing early upgrades like with the iPhone 4 release???

Edited by ernierocker

I love my android phone (and I'm sure android fanboys will be complaining that android already has many of these features...the difference is Apple packages it all together in the perfect ecosystem that allows for bug free apps/great battery life/simple experience everyone can enjoy), but this sure is a tempting reason to try and break my contract. If nothing else, I will definitely be buying the new iPod Touch!!

Not just Android users - all sorts of commenters on websites are saying that the just-revealed Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 have so many of those features as well!

I will be buying an iPhone 4S in the coming weeks, and for several reasons - the 4S gets all of iOS 6's features, it's very affordable for what you get, and it's smaller than the 5.

I can't even begin to rant about how much I dislike phones with 4"+ screens, especially that godawful Samsung Galaxy Note. How the heck are you supposed to use that thing as a phone without completely embarrassing yourself? They're just too big. I've always like the iPhones because they're small enough to easily fit in my pockets.

Since the iPhone 4 came out, Apple has always stuck to $199/$299/$399 for 16GB/32GB/64GB.

I was kind of surprised at the price of the new phone, seems like I remember the 4 and 4s be quite a bit more expensive when it was initially released.

That is the most amazing thing about Apple to me: anyone can produce what they offer, but no one can do it for the prices they charge.

I'm upgrading to a smartphone and I was looking forward to the iPhone 5, but seeing the specs of this and comparing them to the S 3, it just seems like the S 3 is better for my needs. It'll be a pain in the butt to download 3rd party software to sink iTunes from my Macbook, but it'll get the job done. Though the iPhone 5 design in black and white are absolutely STUNNING. If someone was offering me one a Galaxy S 3 or iPhone for free, I'd take it in a heart beat over the S 3. I can't justify paying the price of the iPhone and not being able to have all my music with me wherever ago, unless I want to spend 200 more dollars. I can easily upgrade the S 3 to 80GB for 60 bucks totally 260 for phone and microSD card.

Gorgeous phone and it'll make a ton of money. It's just not right for me at this time, which is unfortunate.

I'm upgrading to a smartphone and I was looking forward to the iPhone 5, but seeing the specs of this and comparing them to the S 3, it just seems like the S 3 is better for my needs. It'll be a pain in the butt to download 3rd party software to sink iTunes from my Macbook, but it'll get the job done.

Believe me, I would totally buy a phone running Android if I didn't use iCloud so much. I've been using iCloud for my papers and presentations (with a backup to an external HDD just in case), and it would be really useful to push my calendars and reminders between my Macbook and an iPhone.

One of the only other things stopping me from buying an Android phone is that the iOS software always get updated across all of Apple's devices at the same time, even if some older devices lose out on features.

I was kind of surprised at the price of the new phone, seems like I remember the 4 and 4s be quite a bit more expensive when it was initially released.

Every entry level iPhone has been priced at $200 for the base model, the only exception being the very ORIGINAL 2007 iPhone which was $500 at launch (price dropped to $400 in fall of 2007). The 4 and 4S both were $200 for a 16GB model. So Apple's pricing has been consistent since the iPhone 3G in 2008.

I'll definitely be buying the 5, as my 4 has run its tour of duty admirably, but I'm itching for the upgrade. Nothing about the phone really wows me (too many leaks!), but I'm fine with incremental upgrades to what is already the most consistent quality brand of smartphone.

I am annoyed I'm going to have to shell out $30 for some stupid adapters though.

^Anyone want to sell theirs at a discount? I'll gladly take it off your hands before the iPhone 5 smashes phone sales records.

Samsung was blatantly trying to copy the iPhone's look. Apple is merely doing what it has always done: taking existing concepts and making them work better. Nothing wrong with that.

Android would never even have made it this far if not for the iPhone to begin with, so it's all just a vicious cycle of borrowing/improving to begin with.

I was hoping that this release would be the thing to make me switch back to iOS (bought a Galaxy S3 when my iphone crapped out). Unfortunately that didn't happen. I feel that this will be a big year for Android devices, as they are getting closer to Apple in terms of user friendliness.