TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see.. I'm due for a phone upgrade on AT&T, since I've had my decent Pantech Matrix for going on three years now. My iPod Touch (2nd gen, 8 gigabyte, two years old) is a piece of outdated crap that Apple basically abandoned a year ago, and I'm running out of space on it quick.

I might as well cut my losses and grab a 16 GB iPhone 4 sometime. The only thing stopping me is the data plan.. Those things are just too damn expensive for a sixteen-year-old. Also, there's the fear that buying the last generation of iPhone is idiotic, since it will surely be outdated within a year or so..

^In one sense, I thought paying a data plan was ridiculous but in the end, I found myself out at the store coming across something, then wanting to do some research on it before buying. With having a data plan, I can eliminate having to go back home and possibly forget what I was looking at and see on the fly whether if the product is worth getting. It's also pretty convenient to browse TPR anywhere, as if us TPR members don't have enough of TPR already . It's also great for getting a hold of friends (who have iPhones and are Facebook users) I'm trying to meet up at the park when I don't have their number.

Originally I was going to get the regular 4 but decided to treat myself for something that's hot off the shelf rather than something that will possibly be outdated within the next few months.

Random iPhone note, my Otterbox Defender case came in today, pretty nice case. I just need to find some baby powder as I'm getting "oil slicks" from the screen protector. I now no longer have to worry about my phone slipping out of the picket when going on a slowly inverting ride (like a Top Spin)

I purchased the iPhone 4s as an upgrade from my terrible HTC desire. I really like it and its much faster than my Android. I tried taking some nice pictures at Halloween Haunt and a few of them turned out pretty good.

On a side note: Have any of you guys ever had problems with reception at Amusement Parks? At CW today I had full bars yet couldn't make a call or text anyone. It seemed everyone in the park was having the same problem. Does this happen to you guys?

^Yes, actually. Last weekend, I was trying to 'check in' at various rides at CGA via Facebook and was lagging. Before I knew it, I was next to ride so I put my phone away. I haven't chanced just relying on the camera for taking stills for Haunt but night time video works pretty well with the assist light, except in heavily fogged areas.

Has anyone been getting 'double messages' when someone sends you a text or am I just going crazy? And for those who love messing with Siri, I came across this site I'm sure many of us already saw, here. (please pardon the URL name and name of site )

^ You're not going crazy. This happens on mine!

I got my iPhone 4s today and love it. Everything works just a bit better that its predecessor. The phone itself is almost completely identical to the iPhone 4 but Siri and the camera make it worth the buy!

Siri is stunning (even though it hates my Scottish accent) It answers and completes tasks very quickly.

I hope to see more great improvements from apple in the future.

Also, there's the fear that buying the last generation of iPhone is idiotic, since it will surely be outdated within a year or so..

With Apple releasing phones once a year, they are actually the slowest of all platforms to become obsolete. IOS5 still works on iPhone 3GS (with most important features, like iCloud and wireless sync), and that phone was released in 2009 - it even runs better than IOS4 did. Compare to Android where Google has stated the latest version won't work with the original Nexus (which was released 6 or 7 months after the 3GS). And if you buy a non-nexus Android phone, you can pretty much expect no updates ever (in fact a large number of Android phones are shipping right now with software that's already out of date, they will likely never be updated).

Apple is actually doing a tremendous job supporting older hardware (which is not something I ever thought I'd be able to truthfully say!).

Cameron.

I held off on the 4s for one reason: no LTE. The hardware/software support is top-notch, no doubt about that.

Though I will say that where Android manufacturers drop the ball, thanks to the (mostly) Android Open Source Project, 3rd party developers/hackers pick up the slack with OS upgrades. My original droid still runs great thanks to a 3rd party (cyanogen mod) putting out a great rom to run on my phone.

^Well, I'd say having a dual core processor on the iPhone 4s could make quite a difference in the two phones.

Which leads me to a question for those that had an iPhone 3GS or 4 and upgraded to the 4s:

Have you noticed a major difference in the processing speeds over the two phones? Like are large apps running smoother and loading up faster than before?

I haven't seen many photographs (if any) taken with the new 4s camera so not sure how much of an upgrade that truly has been.

^^ Umm - aside from the fact that the 4S looks the same as the 4, it's actually an entirely new device. The 5 will likely be the same as the 4S, just in a new enclosure (ie: you'll be buying hardware that's already a year old..).

Cameron.

Which leads me to a question for those that had an iPhone 3GS or 4 and upgraded to the 4s:

Have you noticed a major difference in the processing speeds over the two phones? Like are large apps running smoother and loading up faster than before?

I haven't seen many photographs (if any) taken with the new 4s camera so not sure how much of an upgrade that truly has been.

My boss went from a 3GS to a 4S and he said it's night and day difference. And I've seen some really stunning photos off the 4S too. If you're two generations behind, it's definitely worth the upgrade.

^Not officially. A developer ported a "limited" version of Siri over to a jailbroken 4th generation iPod Touch, but that is it.

Android has some apps that do the same thing in theory (speaktoit and Vlingo come to mind), but are not as accurate or as extensive as Siri.

Edited by Jew

Android has some apps that do the same thing in theory (speaktoit and Vlingo come to mind), but are not as accurate or as extensive as Siri.

Vlingo is also available for iOS in the app store. I use it on my iPhone 4 and while it isn't nearly as good as Siri, it will get me by until a port is released.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated mine this morning as a pop up notification came on screen. I'm not noticing a difference probably due to the fact that I probably did not have a battery issue. Of course, the battery's going to drain faster than my previous non-smartphone since it's being used for more than just calling and receiving text messages.

For anyone who is a super-heavy iPhone user like myself, you know that you always either just get by or your battery dies before the end of the day. One solution I found is a battery case for the iPhone. I got one off of amazon for $30. I love it. Around 5 my iPhone is drained to about 15% and I'll turn on the case and it will re-charge my phone to about 80%.

iPhone BOOST case

^This is the one I got for $30. It has since gone up in price because I bought mine before the 4S was announced. It may come down in price again soon though.

I've been using these types of battery cases for a while now and I love them! For example, today at IAAPA, I drained by iPhone 4 battery until it was about 24%, turned on the battery case, charged it full again, and it went the rest of the day.

And I uploading and taking a TON of photos today! At least 200 photos taken, and about 100 updates, and I still had a 75% battery left when I left the trade show.

Those battery cases work.... GREAT!!!!