TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: WhiteWater West previews new MEGAtube Slides

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the MEGAtubes look pointless. It's so much wasted space, for a ride experience that looks pretty generic. Plus, in the video for the "rattler" model, the fact that they show the tubes actually flopping over the side edge of the flume does not make me want to ride it. Seeing that actually makes me want to avoid it at all costs, because if a raft can do that in real life, who's to say that there won't be a person sitting right there who could easily fall out if they lean the wrong way?

They can add more water to the chute to slow you down before you go overboard. Proslide's Topsy Turvey slides have bumps in them to slow down riders before they go too fast into the element.

I really like the Constrictor idea because that large tunnel tight turn will produce some weird G's; I know because the last turn on Omaka Rocka in Aquatica has one of them (sorta) and I thought it pulled some weird G's.

Edited by Midgetman82

I personally think the MEGAtubes look pointless. It's so much wasted space, for a ride experience that looks pretty generic. Plus, in the video for the "rattler" model, the fact that they show the tubes actually flopping over the side edge of the flume does not make me want to ride it. Seeing that actually makes me want to avoid it at all costs, because if a raft can do that in real life, who's to say that there won't be a person sitting right there who could easily fall out if they lean the wrong way?

I agree entirely and that "flume in flume" technology presented at Iaapa doesn't look like it's going to happen, where do you put supports if you are surrounded by fiberglass.

I too am a bit uncomfortable about the rafts flopping over the edge in the videos, however I think they just did that for effect to make the ride seem more extreme. If they actually made the videos accurate to what the raft would be doing (aka not going over the edge a little bit), it would make the ride seem tame. I think it is just to visualize the idea that 'HEY! The raft is going from one side of the slide to the other!'

Also, I may be wrong, but I recall seeing family raft rides actually going a bit over the edge at Hurricane Harbor in Cali. In the end, even if it is occurring a little bit I think the industry has deemed it 'safe.'

This is a great concept.

But, it looks like it would get really boring after a minute or two - the rafts will only valley up and down the tube so many times. That's probably why the mega-tube sections of the slides are so short compared to the rest of the slide.

• 3 weeks later...
Certainly seems like it kind of gives the same ride experience as a Toronado. It is quite visually striking though. I would like to see them do a slide complex that feature multiple lifts and drops into the various bowl-esque elements.

If you check back at iaapa proslide is doing hydromagnetics with larger tubes, they could surely do it with cloverleaf tubes to make a ride longer in time and shorter in height

• 6 months later...
I too am a bit uncomfortable about the rafts flopping over the edge in the videos, however I think they just did that for effect to make the ride seem more extreme. If they actually made the videos accurate to what the raft would be doing (aka not going over the edge a little bit), it would make the ride seem tame. I think it is just to visualize the idea that 'HEY! The raft is going from one side of the slide to the other!'

Also, I may be wrong, but I recall seeing family raft rides actually going a bit over the edge at Hurricane Harbor in Cali. In the end, even if it is occurring a little bit I think the industry has deemed it 'safe.'

The waterless simulation can't simulate, well water. In the Tornados, water pools up at the bottom and keeps it from going too fast. In theory it should not flop over the sides in reality. This also makes them look more exiting to those who are watching those videos, the actual thing should be even more tame.

EDIT: sorry for the double post but they are almost six months apart .

NEWS: The first constrictor slide is up and running, here's a video:

and here's a pic:

Yes, those are full 360 degree turns.

It looks like whitewater is putting a new spin to the classic serpentine slides without separate elements(it is just a wider tube).

• 4 weeks later...

White Water opens new Mega Tube Slide VIPER in NRH2O

hiteWater West - (7/15/11) WhiteWater West reports that NRH2O (North Richland Hills, Texas) has opened Viper, a new MEGAtube slide attraction. The family tube slide starts off as you would expect, but drops suddenly near the end into a huge 20 foot wide MEGAtube for the finale before splashing down into the pool. I’ve embedded a great POV video of the Viper in action below.

• 3 years later...

I adore that color scheme (I'm a big fan of things B&W)! I also love how WhiteWater's version always looks much more massive compared to ProSlide's Tornados. It's a shame they didn't include any balconies or bridges so people can see inside the funnel.

^ Oh it's a waist no doubt, but it looks really good! Kinda like a Ferrari, it's nice to be able to drive in 230 mph, but you never do it.

The Abyss is actually available in a half model, but nobody has bought it yet.