TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The KFC Double Down

robbalvey

I'm shocked there hasn't been a thread about this yet!

So KFC's crazy new sandwich (if you can call it that) came out today.

KFC_double_down_closeup_350w_263h.jpg.a4887770b1435dc677d9160e0225b374.jpg

It's two pieces of chicken pretending to be buns with cheese, sauce and bacon in the middle!

HOLY CRAP!

Has anyone tried one yet?

Here is the info:

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/

Oddly enough, it's not nearly as bad for you as you would think!

I wonder what Jamie Oliver would think of this?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing about this a few months ago, because they were testing it on the East Coast (RI or Conn). The testing had gone very well at that time, hence its national release.

I have to say that it does look very appealing. Also, be eliminating the bun is a smart move because they probably chop off an extra 150 calories. The original recipe version has 540 calories, 30 grams of fat, and a whopping 53 grams of protein! The grilled version (which doesn't look nearly as tasty) has less fat, 460 calories and 61 grams of protein.

The original recipe version has the same calories as a Big Mac, though with a Big Mac your probably going to chow down some fries as well, whereas the KFC sandwich may provide you with enough greasy goodness that you'll pass on the fries.

In any case, I hope someone posts a photo trip report from their local KFC. There is something about that tasty KFC original recipe batter that makes this sandwich look tempting.

Robb's right, according to the nutritional information, it's not as bad as some other things:

KFC Double Down - 540 Calories - 32 grams of fat - 1380 mg sodium (only the fried, who wants grilled chicken with "meat flavoring"?)

Jack In The Box (which if you look at the nutritional info, is the WORST fast food place IMO)

Turkey Bacon Cheddar Grilled Sandwich - 647 Calories - 30 grams of fat - 2128 mg sodium

Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger - 937 Calories - 65 grams of fat - 1837 mg sodium

McDonalds

Big Mac - 540 Calories - 29 grams of fat - 1040 mg sodium

Angus Bacon and Cheese - 790 Calories - 24 grams of fat - 720 mg sodium

^

Wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen.

I'm not a big KFC(or Yum! Brands for that matter) fan, but I might have to try this once. It'll take a year off of my life, but then again, the same probably happens when I eat at Steak n Shake. As Robb pointed out, I'm surprised that it isn't as unhealthy as I thought it would be.

Robb's right, according to the nutritional information, it's not as bad as some other things:

KFC Double Down - 540 Calories - 32 grams of fat - 1380 mg sodium (only the fried, who wants grilled chicken with "meat flavoring"?)

Jack In The Box (which if you look at the nutritional info, is the WORST fast food place IMO)

Turkey Bacon Cheddar Grilled Sandwich - 647 Calories - 30 grams of fat - 2128 mg sodium

Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger - 937 Calories - 65 grams of fat - 1837 mg sodium

I still think that Carl's Jr. has worse burgers for you. Is there anything on any fast food menu as bad as this?

Double Guacamole Bacon Burger - 1090 Calories - 74 grams of fat - 1770 mg sodium.

That's right 74 GRAMS OF FAT!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!

In fact I think Carl's has like 10 sandwiches that have over 65 grams of fast!

Why didn't that Super Size Me Asshole target stuff like this instead of McDonalds, which actually doesn't have THAT bad of a menu when you compare it to other places!

--Robb "Who actually likes Carls WAY more than In-N-Out..." Alvey

EDIT even the salads at these fast food places aren't much better! Even the Carls Jr. Grilled Chicken Salad with Blue Cheese dressing has 40 grams of fat and 520 calories!

Edited by robbalvey

McDonald's takes a lot of crap just because...it's McDonald's. Personally, I have no problem eating there. But regardless of where I eat, I know enough to order food with little or no condiments (which is where a lot of the fat is). On a Big Mac, for instance, you can get it without the sauce, then put a little ketchup on it instead. It tastes exactly the same and saves over 100 calories worth of fat.

As for the Double Down, it's not likely something I would order anyway even if my health was better. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

The new rules requiring restaurants to post nutrition information is a good thing. All they have to do is inform. It's up to us to make wise choices as to what and how much we eat.

Eric

I dont know if any of you have ever seen the Boondocks on adult swim, but dear god... someone actually made the Luther. For those that do not know, the luther is the same as a double down, except replace the chicken with 2 crispy cream donuts.

luther.bmp

Mmmmm... I kind of wanna try it, but it may literally kill me.

^ Just looking at that picture is making my arteries cry.

I think the fact that they have a grilled version of the Double Down is quite funny. Because nothing says healthy like bacon covered in cheese! I'm surprised the fried one isn't *that* bad for you, relatively speaking. Still, if I'm going to eat 32 grams of fat, I'd rather do it eating something else.

I had to stay in town after work today for a civic meeting, so I stopped in the Kentucky Fried Chicken across the street from my office and tried one of these for dinner. Wish I had known there was a thread; I would have taken a picture!

It was pretty greasy to hold without a bread barrier to hang on to, and I had to be careful not to let the excess drip on my tie... but besides that, it was pretty good. I'm not sure I'd get another one--though if they took away one of the chicken breasts, threw the rest on a bun (maybe with a pickle slice in between for good measure) and put it on their regular menu, it probably would become my go-to order at KFC the few times a year I end up there.

Quizno's Large Prime Rib with Peppercorn Sauce - 1610 Calories - 101 grams of fat - 3020 mg sodium.

When NYC restaurants were forced to start listing calories, I noticed that no one ever ordered the large sandwiches at lunch anymore. The local Quiznos right around the corner from my office, which used to have a line out the door every day before the law, had much shorter lines after the law and closed within 3 months.