TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

Yes, they are because they are technically different rides, though they have the same layout. They can be run differently, their stations can be varied (look at the supermans, there are dual stations on one), so they are counted as separate credits.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how I count, everyone is different, and by all means there are no set rules.

- I do count clones, such as Boomerangs and SLC's

- I do count traveling fair coasters ONCE, but do not count re-located coasters. (example: I will not count Starliner again)

- I do count kiddie coasters

- I do count all shuttles (Superman, Half-Pipes, etc)

- I do not count power coasters

- I do not count free-fall rides

- I do not count "liquid" coasters such as log flumes or most water coasters UNLESS the coaster portion is longer or the "major" portion of the ride. (example, Journey to Atlantis does not count, but Buzzfaw Falls did)

- I count racing/dueling coasters as two if both sides are SIGNIFICANTLY different. For example, Matterhorn, Chiller and Dueling Dragons count as two, but Colossus, Racer and Gemini count as one. I also only counted Primeval Whirl as one, even though technically there are two physical coasters.

- I do not re-count coasters again that have been rebuilt to the EXACT same specs (example: Disneyland's Space Mountain, Lake Compounce Wildcat)

- I do not count reversed trains on a coaster as a new credit (for example Indiana Jones in Disneyland Paris is still only 1, even though I've ridden it in 3 different configurations.)

- I do not count modified trains on a coaster as a new credit (for example, Mr. Freeze, Outer Limits did not count again with the new trains)

- I do not count "re-themed" coasters again (for example Space Mountain: Mission 2 and Motorcycle Chase/Wacky Soap Box Racers)

Have I left anything out?

--Robb

I know the answer is yes. But deep down inside I really want to say no.

I agree.

But, as hard as this may be to believe, less than 2% of the coasters I have been on are Vekoma SLCs and Boomerangs... usually I skip them anyway so it wouldn't affect my count too much.

doesn't mean I won't pimp the UK for every credit it's got. I mean, I don't want to just watch Elissa whore on kiddie rides, I wanna play!

Speaking of, I love this picture:

:D

^ See, I don't agree a LOT of things on Coastercounter and RCDB as there are coasters that I personally don't count. Like Powered coasters, for example.

I see where you're coming from with that yeah, but i'm just going by the fact that it has wheels, it goes round a track, and i've ridden it! In the truest sense of the word, a powered coaster isn't really a proper coaster, but if it looks like poo, and it smells like poo, its close enough to poo for me...

^ Like I said, there are no "rules" those are just "my" rules. People count all kinds of stuff. Some people count powered coasters, some people even count free fall rides. Hell, I know someone that counts log flumes! There really isn't any 'right' or 'wrong'

--Robb

yep, everyone counts them different

But I would like to hear from the person who voted no. Always nice to hear different opinions on the subject of what people think as new credits (damn I feel like a dork).

I count clones. I might cound a relocated coaster if I feel the surrounding has changed significantly enough.

As for powered, if it has a decent drop and some gravity powered speed, I'm counting it. Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City startled me when it dropped - so I got kind of a "whoa - thats a credit" feeling. I count dueling but not racing. I counted Primevel twice just because I didnt' even know that there were two tracks until I got there. "Sweet! Another credit!"

Bret "at #199 for the last 3 months now" Pritchett

I count clones, but I won't count something like Space Mountain at Disneyland. It is an entirely new track/structure, but it's the same ride. Wooden coasters have their wood replaced over time; I doubt that a vintage '20s woodie still has much---if any---of its original wood or components.

Even though Colossus and the Matterhorn are two entirely different tracks, I just count them as one.

Eric

• 7 months later...

I hear people talking about "Getting the next credit of the day!" or "I got the two credits and then left the park".

I assume that a credit is another number to add to your coaster count?

Whatever happened to riding coasters because it's fun?

Please explain whats up with "credits".

You are correct, a "credit" is just part of a person's "coaster count", which really is nothing more than a number.

As for the riding for fun principal- while I agree with you, I also disagree. For years I swore off the "credit whoring" on kiddie coasters and such, but at one point I started having more fun being ludicrously pathetic on some kiddie coasters than on some much larger coasters (Hydra comes to mind for some reason!)

So yea, horray for adding 7 roller skaters to my count since Jan 1!!

- Joe, who recently passed 200 credits on this 8)

^ Roller skaters are a common type of roller coaster. They are made by Vekoma and happen to be more tame then some of the bigger coasters. Some of the bigger ones are Gadgets Go Coaster at DL, Barnstormer at MK, Flying Unicorn at IOA, and Oki Doki and B-land (I can't spell it).

In my signature, I have my coaster count. Do you think we would be at this website if we didn't enjoy riding the coasters? Do you think we do it just for the credit counts? Maybe some people do, but most of us don't. We are here for the experience and to talk to other people about those times. Not to compare credits or who has more. We just want to talk about our favorite things in the world: roller coasters and theme parks.

---Brent

^ Roller skaters are a common type of roller coaster. They are made by Vekoma and happen to be more tame then some of the bigger coasters. Some of the bigger ones are Gadgets Go Coaster at DL, Barnstormer at MK, Flying Unicorn at IOA, and Oki Doki and B-land (I can't spell it).

Those are roller skaters?

I just called them kiddie coasters.