TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

I try to keep an approximate count but don't know my exact count. Often especially on TPR trip were the credits really rack up fast all the rides just kind of blur together. For example I know I hit 100 on the TPR Japan trip but I don't know exactly what ride it was. I think it was the little coaster at Wonder Rakutenchi but it could have been the roller skater at Harmonyland or one of the rides at Kijima but it was definitely that day.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, this hobby is about having a fun time. For some people that means its about credits, for others it's about atmosphere, or whatever. Everyone treats this hobby in a different sense. I'm not big on counting coasters or trying to get every credit, that's just my personal preference.

^ Totally agree

At the end of the day, riding coasters is a hobby / pastime for all of us.

Surely it’s up to each of us to decide whether it’s ‘Pointless’ or not to get Credits or to ‘Coaster Whore’.

If you have fun at a park whatever you do, that’s the main goal is’nt it?

I personally count coasters & more recently ride counts.

Coaster # 400 was in South Korea & I’m currently at 424. That’s not for bragging rights, it’s just a bit of fun & for me to know how many I’ve been on.

However, I could never see myself paying $25 to ride the woodie at Satan's in ChiTown.

Big Mike would! (and, for the record, it was only $21.50 this past summer! )

Riding all the woodies in the world is an attainable feat. I doubt I'll ever get there, but it's within the realm of possibility.

In the enthusiast world out of all the people I know, or have even heard of, no one has managed to hit the 2 woodies in India. Not even certain people from the ACE EC, riding on your average ACEr's dime, has managed to get those.

Getting those would truly give someone the title of credit whore.

Side trip Elissa?

Credits are everything. Without them you are nothing. You cannot consider yourself a true enthusiast until you have ridden at least 3 Fiesta Express coasters.

// Still doesn't have the two coasters at Idlewild Park and it is almost close enough to be my home park.

// Did you know you can track your credits at CoasterFanatics.Com

In the enthusiast world out of all the people I know, or have even heard of, no one has managed to hit the 2 woodies in India. Not even certain people from the ACE EC, riding on your average ACEr's dime, has managed to get those.

Wow, I didn't even know about those two. Hahaha and Google Maps is totally failing at giving me the driving distance between those two parks.

If you guys are insane enough to go, be sure to take some pictures. rcdb doesn't have pictures of either woodie.

I have always flown to different amusement parks to ride the coasters. This is the first site I have ever joined and I have been on here for about a year or so and I just recently started seeing the word credit or actually paid attention to it. It was 3 mths ago when I realized what it was and I still didnt know truly what it meant until this thread. I have never even counted the number of coasters I have ridden I have just kinda remembered which ones, as the in names, that I have ridden. So I guess for me it's kinda a no brainer, for ME, to ride a coaster that wont turn me on. Hell I have gone to Magic Mountain and have walked past a coaster because the line is too long like Deja Vu and I really wanted to ride that one. Well the line wasnt that long they just were loading too slow.

Why is it that people would travel from let's say, Los Angeles to New Jersey, because they have a new "credit?" I can understand it if you haven't ever been there before and want to ride the rides for pure enjoyment, and not for another plus on your coaster count, but I saw a post a long time ago that said something like "I would never wait more then an hour for a credit that I already have." So even if it's the best ride you ever rode, you don't want to wait an hour because you already got the "credit." They even said they would wait about two hours for a Vekoma Boomerang! Why would you want to ride something you don't even like just as an extra check mark on your coaster count when you could be riding something that you enjoy? Am I just out of the loop?

I do it for both, to ride things I haven't ridden before with my family/friends while enjoying myself, and to get more credits. I couldn't care less how many I have, it's just a fun way to keep track of what I have ridden, especially when one gets torn down or becomes SBNO, I know for sure that I rode it. It's also fun to see like how many of each type I have ridden. Are credits a competition? Of course not. Just a way to make things more fun.

I like keeping track of credits, because I am a very list-oriented person. Having lists of my coasters ridden, parks ridden - hell, I even keep track of places I've eaten on my road trips on a list - is an enjoyable activity for me.

Do I credit whore? Sometimes. I won't go far out of my way to get one kiddie coaster [we skipped Little Amerika on our Chicago/Wisconsin trip, for instance], but if I'm in a park with kiddie coasters handy, and they're not going to cost me extra or cause an hour long wait, sure I'll go on them. If I'm already in the park, why not go on all the coasters there?

For one of your other points though, I will not go across the country to ride one new credit, no matter how big. It's both financially impossible and just isn't something I want to do. That said, I've never been further west in the States than Valleyfair, so there are tons of credits out west that I could see myself going to, rather than just one.

Honestly, I don't have any problem with those of us who'll travel to the end of the world on a $5000 trip to ride that elusive wacky worm in Timbuktu. If that type of adventure gets your blood pumping, then more power to ya. It's been said before, and it's worth repeating.....it's a hobby.

Hobbyists from any realm strive to reach the "unattainable" in their given field whether it's seeing an endangered species in the wild, treasure hunting in the Florida Keys, or gathering every Togo credit in Japan. And that's what's cool about hobbies, they drive you to achieve what's important to you.

Talk to any golfer, and you'll see my favorite comparison. Golfers will spend $400 a round (that's 18 holes) to play a place like Pebble Beach just once in their lives. To me, that's no different than taking a trip to ride Balder because you want that credit that everyone is talking about.

For me, I'll never go out of my way to ride just one coaster, no matter how great I think it'll be. For me, it's about finding a well-rounded vacation, and especially a complete day at any given park. But hey, that's just me. Also, I do keep count of my credits because I believe they validate your opinions on the subject of coasters.

coasterfanatics.com is the place to be for that.

I agree that credits seem to be a personal thing. I certainly keep track of credits, but only to a certain extent. I have never ridden a kiddie coaster, and I have no desire to (until I have little ones of my own to join on said kiddie coasters). For me, it's more about quality over quantity. For example, I went to Fuji-Q Highland last July. My friend and I rode only Dodonpa, Fujiyama, and Eejanaika. While there were certainly many more possible credits waiting for us, we simply wanted to ride the big three, we weren't interested in waiting for a small suspended or a wild mouse. Personally, I don't really feel the need to say "I have ridden X number of coasters". I would rather be able to say "I have ridden both of the 4th Dimensional coasters the world has to offer. Still, I totally understand the idea of credit whoring. If I was at a new park with some credit whores, I would enthusiastically join in on the fun.

-Doug

Could really careless I would rather ride and enjoy then sit and care about how many credits i have.

If you get excited about having a credit go for it, it's just not for me!

but if I really wanted too I could start my own "credit". it would consist of:

Riding a coaster after me and a team of iron workers finished putting it together, then i'd have atleast 6!!

Getting those would truly give someone the title of credit whore.

Side trip Elissa?

Well Jeff...my parents are trying to go to India...They're waiting to see what happens with Pakistan first. If they go, we'll go shortly after, if they survive that is.

Well Jeff...my parents are trying to go to India...They're waiting to see what happens with Pakistan first. If they go, we'll go shortly after, if they survive that is.

Credit whore: someone willing to take quinine just to get a credit.

^That's why I'm waiting!

I always said no credits if it involves me getting shots (hence why we havne't been to sub-Saharan Africa!). Now with KidTums she can't take some of the heavy duty medicine, so some stuff is on the back burner!

^That's why I'm waiting!

I always said no credits if it involves me getting shots (hence why we havne't been to sub-Saharan Africa!). Now with KidTums she can't take some of the heavy duty medicine, so some stuff is on the back burner!

Don't think I'd hit India unless I'd already been nearly everywhere else first.

A friend of mine spent about a month in Bangalore last year for work, and absolutely hated the place. He said everyone treated him with utter contempt. Of course, this is just one person's experience.

Oh, and two people now have told me that seeing corpses in the street in India is pretty common.

Guess for me dead bodies anywhere would be unpleasant, if you drive a car enough in the US you will see 1 or 2 bodies anyway.

On the pointless part of being a credit whore. Well I guess its what you make of it, I keep track because its my hobby and like to keep an idea of what and where I have been on. Memory starts to fade after a certain age like after 21. So at 40 I don't remember what the top part of this tread is about.

J.

Wow, I spent nearly a month in armpit-of-the-earth Calcutta and did not see any corpses on the streets. I did see a bus driver get pulled out of a bus after hitting an old man and get beat to death though.

I absolutely loved India. I felt so welcome there and loved the spirit of the people. It really felt like you had stepped back in time. I was there to work with Mother Teresa's Sisters of Mercy though so my reason for being there might have affected the way I felt about the place.

I would go back in a heartbeat though and hope to someday adopt a baby from there.

On a coasterish note, there was an old rundown carnival that had a giant handpainted "Disneyland" sign on it. We all cracked up at that.