TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Elissa, I've got you beat, Castle Park is only 10 minutes from my house I and I have yet to get that credit!

But Like everyone else said, if you have fun keeping track of your coasters then by all means do it. If that doesn't bong your banana then don't. And don't knock coaster whoring until you do it in a big group, then it can be a lot of fun. I guess I'm more into the Coaster Whoring Orgy!

Yes, it's all about fun, but seeking out every single kiddie coaster in a pizza place is a little much, IMO. If you were gonna go there anyway, that's one thing, but an adult on a kiddie coaster can look a little silly. I still don't have the Canyon Blaster credit at SFMM for that reason. Also, it seems like driving 60 miles or so for a small (not necessarily a kiddie) coaster is a little bit much. For that reason I don't have any of the minor So Cal credits. Derek is right, though, the more credits you have the more credible you are when it comes to discussing coasters. However, if half of those are kiddies...

It just all comes down to personal preference.

"I still don't have the Canyon Blaster credit at SFMM" (RIP Psyclone)

Hee hee...I do!

I do have an Excel spreadsheet of everything I've ridden, along with facts and figures, trivia, rating, etc. It's in chronological order, which works out just fine for me.

At one time, I would have ridden anything just to add it to my list, but nowadays, I'll only ride if it's something worthwhile. And I won't drive all the way up California to ride some kiddie coaster.

Eric

Like a lot of people have mentioned, I don't count credits. I go on the coasters for pure enjoyment. If I go to a new park for the first time, SFMM for example, I try to get on every coaster possible knowing that I'm not going to be back there for a while. I will not go out of my way just to get a new credit.

I still don't have the Canyon Blaster credit at SFMM for that reason.

This perfectly illustrates why I'm a credit whore and make no apologies for it. Canyon Blaster, IMO, is one of the best coasters at SFMM. Yeah, it's just a kiddie coaster, but I think it's pretty darn fun for a kiddie. It has a lot of pretty neat little dips that many kiddies just don't have. Had I not been a credit whore I wouldn't know that I like Canyon Blaster.

That being said there have been times where I've thought to myself that credit whoring kinda ruins the fun. When I go to a new park I find myself racing around like crazy to get all the credits in, which prevents me from slowing down and enjoying the park a bit.

I think counting credits gives a feeling of accomplishment. It's like collecting stuff. You just collect the experience of different coasters. I won't freak out and go out of my way for a stupid little ride, but if I have the chance, I definetely like to ride whatever I can, because I like knowing it's done, I've ridden it.

-Nick

I definately whore it up more than I used too, but I also don't have 3 of the credits in my home state, so I can't be that bad. As far as the kiddies if I am by them, or with Larry, I get them. I just enjoy my count for my own reasons, but don't really worry about what others have or anything like that.

Whatever you feel is cool, since this hobby is about fun, so if it is fun for you all the power to you. I will be honest in saying I hate leaving any credit in a foreign country.

Rich "Still mad about the 2 at Southport" Bitner

I just don't understand the whole credit whoring thing.

I mean, why spend 100's, maybe 1000's of hard earned dollars to take a leisurely vacation, and end up in some gawd forsaken hellhole, just to ride a coaster made for children?? It makes no sense.

Like Robb said, who would actually drive an extra hour just to ride a kiddie coaster in the middle of nowhere? That money and time could be better spent on a nice meal in a relaxing restaurant.

You people are crazy!

Oh, Elissa, DIE!

For the record (for the 35,414,135,616,874,321st time):

I count Motorcycle Chase as "1"

I count Wacky Soapbox Racers as "1"

And Elissa, DIE!

I don't count coasters and I don't consider myself a credit whore. I ride the ones I want to and skip the ones I don't care about.

Although, when I'm on a TPR Trip, I can certainly act like a credit whore. Hey, where else are you going to ride a kiddie coaster in an obscured place in another country you'll probably not visit again for a very long time if ever?

I keep a count but don't really talk about it much unless someone asks.

I also keep an Excel spreadsheet that is easily sortable, so I can tell the number of coaster by manufacturer and style fairly quickly.

I'm more concerned about my wood coaster count and will gladly travel for a new wooden coaster, since every woodie is unique. However, I could never see myself paying $25 to ride the woodie at Satan's in ChiTown.

I never had a credit count, until I looked up Coastercounter.com and started counting up all the coasters I had ridden, in the past. I was surprised how many I had racked up, without really trying, including a lot of old ones that are no longer around.

The (now) touring around with TPR certainly adds up to the already existing count. But I wouldn't be on the tours if that's all it meant.

And yes, the experience of "highjacking" a kiddy's coaster en masse is something to see (we DO do it friendly-like, heh heh) and experience, lol.

But it's definitely a lot more than that. Fun and enjoyment of the ride and/or the park, and sharing that with others who are also in on it all, is a great experience, too.

And hey - with the Europe Tour, I get over the 300 mark!

I love the idea of credits. It gives me motivation to ride new rides that I don't have a desire to.

If you have no desire to ride them to start with....nevermind, your choice I guess

I count the coaster I've ridden, but haven't ever ridden a coaster for the sake of a credit. I'd sooner ride a bigger coaster twice than spend time waiting for a smaller (and probably not as much fun) coaster.

I learned on the Mid-West trip that I'm really not into credit whoring. I had a much better time just having fun at the parks with everyone else. If that meant everyone was heading to the kiddie coaster to do a takeover, than yeah, of course I joined in and it was great fun! But I would make a point to ride all the major coasters at the parks first, the ones that I really wanted to try. I missed a couple kiddie credits, a spinning mouse credit (1 of 3 clones on the trip), and a couple double tracked woodie credits. Those missed credits don't bother me the slightest.

I do keep a count, but it's for my own personal knowledge. I just like to know roughly how many coasters I've done. And if I'm at a park a will make an effort to try anything new that I come across, because you never know what will surprise you.

For the record racing coasters are 1 credit (e.g. Gemini), dueling coasters are 2 credits (e.g. Gwazi), and Dive to Atlantis (Mt. Olympus) IS NOT A CREDIT! I will however count some powered coasters (Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland) if they're long enough and give a true coaster feel.

No, you're right, they're totally pointless. Our lives are not in any way bettered by them. There aren't even awards or anything (although if you ride enough, you might swipe a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records). But I do enjoy counting and I don't like it when I don't get a credit or when people disagree about what's a credit and what isn't (Racers are two, Mobius' are one, Firehawk doesn't count if you've ridden X-Flight, etc.).

However, I could never see myself paying $25 to ride the woodie at Satan's in ChiTown.

I'd totally pay the $25 for the Kiddieland woodie. Yes, it's a rip off, but it's a woodie credit. This brings you one credit closer to being able to say, "I've ridden every wooden coaster in the world." Riding all the woodies in the world is an attainable feat. I doubt I'll ever get there, but it's within the realm of possibility. Riding all the steelies, on the other hand, would never happen.