TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

I've noticed quite a few rides which come under the coaster tag which aren't included in any counts, but they still come under the rollercoaster premise.

Gravity powered toboggan rides such as Rodelbahn come under the bobsled category.

Fuga D'Atlantide at Gardaland should really come under the Watercoaster category - the train is completely fixed to the track going up the hills and down the drops, and the boats are then free to run on after the splash zones - very similar to Premier's Liquid coasters.

Powered coasters are very dubious, because there's not much gravity involved, and I've not had the chance to try out a Wiegand bobkart yet but that's really digging deep.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to add onto your original post, but my question is related:

What determines whether a racing/duelling coaster is regarded as one coaster, or two separate coasters?

For example, I know Dueling Dragons is classed as two separate roller coasters, but what about Lightning Racer, or Gwazi? And what about coasters like Rebel Yell (PKD), American Eagle (SFGAm) or Rolling Thunder (SFGAdv)?

Could someone just clear that issue up for me, if possible? Thanks!

We were talking about this in chat yesterday I think. I count Space Mountain (WDW) as 2 seperate rides- Alpha-side and Omega-side. I guess there are some who count it as one. *shrugs* Gemini-Blue and Gemini-Red count for 2 so I just figured dueling/racing coasters count each side seperately.

I bumped up my coaster credit by including Spaceship Earth. it has a coaster track, a modified coaster car design, a lifthill (a very long one) and a drop (a very slow one). 8)

American Eagle - both sides are the same

American Eagle's tracks are not the same. After the helix, they split up. Like the Blue train dives under the stucture and does a turns and then goes into like 1 or two hills, then another helix. The Red train doesnt turn and just does a series of hill until the second helix.

Gemini = One credit, the tracks are exactly next to each other throught out the ride.

American Eagle is two as the layouts are different between the sides, same goes for Rotting Lumber.

The Paramount Racers are a bit tough as they are essentially Mirrors but they are built on two completely seperate structures.

The only racing coaster in the US that I DON'T count in my count is The Racer. It is a moebius track, therefore it is exactly the same on both sides. Other then that, I count racing/dueling coasters seperate.

Katie

The Racers at Kings Island are two different coasters. The only thing that coasters share the same station.You know Racers at Kennywood is one coaster you end up on the other side of the station where you started from. At PKI on their Racers this does not happen at all.

Should we count kiddy coasters at school carnivals? *points at sig* And regarding racing coaster, I count it as 2 as long as they arent mobious. Plus if theres a frontwards and backwards varient, theyre two (slightly) different ride experiences anyway.

• 1 month later...

http://www.rcdb.com/id2385.htm Some do!

Just to catch you up, no one ever agrees on what counts and what doesn't. The only thing we do agree on is that 1) The right way to count is the one that you like and 2) It doesn't matter.

That being said rcdb.com and coastercounter.com are good primers.

Bring on the "S:TE counts as two!" and the "Devils Den is a woodie JERK!!1" arguments.

My definition is this: a wheeled attraction (roller), which operates throughout the majority (50%+) of it's course on momentum and/or gravity alone (coast), and offers that indefinable, but unmistakable, "rollercoaster" experience.

I count twin rides as seperate, unless they're near or exact clones, in which case I count them as clones.

All clones, near or exact, count as 1, unless there's a major change to the experience.

My rules:

1.) 1 track = 1 coaster

Thus, Lightning Racer and Gwazi are 2 credits, but Kennywood's Racer is 1.

2.) If it's on RCDB.com, it counts.

Thus, powered coasters and liquid coasters like Journey to Atlantis count.

3.) Carnival and fair coaster count, but they are counted once per fair operator.

Thus, I could ride 20 Wacky Worms and get credit for them all as long as they are from different fair operators.

There's not real hard and fast rule to count coasters. But you make the rules and be consistent.

• 1 month later...