TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

^^There is one reason I've considered counting first generation Freefalls as credits. I have a coaster book that actually considered Demon Drop at Cedar Point and other Freefalls to be roller coasters. I don't count them because, like you said, you almost never hear of people counting them (I think I've only even seen it come up for debate once).

Even though my credit list is mainly for personal enjoyment, I think it would lose some meaning if I counted things that people just don't count, and there's nothing saying I can't keep track of said rides another way anyway (I do).

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm going to Kings Dominion for the second time on Monday, and I have been on i305 before. But, last time I rode it in 2010, it had the original restraints, the first drop was trimmed, and the first turn had not yet been modified. When I get on it on Monday, it won't have trims on the first drop, it will have the newer straps, and the modified first turn. So, new credit or not?

I had some fairly ridiculous philosophical credit questions, and I wanted to see people's opinions of them:

*If you were to travel to an alternate universe and ride, say, Storm Runner in that alt-universe, would Storm Runner and alt-Storm Runner count as separate credits?

*If you went back in time to ride a credit that is now defunct, such as 2000 Son of Beast, would that count?

*Combining the two, if you were to travel back in time, but somehow alter history, such as causing Whizzer to be demolished instead of Shockwave, would modern day alt-Shockwave count? What about Whizzer in this timeline?

I may or may not have just watched Back To The Future Part II.

I had some fairly ridiculous philosophical credit questions, and I wanted to see people's opinions of them:

*If you were to travel to an alternate universe and ride, say, Storm Runner in that alt-universe, would Storm Runner and alt-Storm Runner count as separate credits?

*If you went back in time to ride a credit that is now defunct, such as 2000 Son of Beast, would that count?

*Combining the two, if you were to travel back in time, but somehow alter history, such as causing Whizzer to be demolished instead of Shockwave, would modern day alt-Shockwave count? What about Whizzer in this timeline?

I may or may not have just watched Back To The Future Part II.

My answers:

1. If alternate universe Storm Runner were built with a completely different layout, then it would count. However, if it is the same Stormrunner as in this universe, it doesn't count.

2. Yes. Defunct credits count.

3. Whizzer and Shockwave are two credits. If you rode them both in any way, they both count as one each. (Does this answer your question?)

• 3 months later...

Since this came up in the Hades 360 thread. So what does everyone think of altered coasters? When do you count them as a new credit?

Personally, I don't count most of these changes because my feeble mind can't keep track of the changes.

Examples:

Hades 360 with a loop added

Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge

Son of Beast with loop removed

Batman and Robin: The Chiller with amended spikes

Mr Freeze: forward vs backward

Texas Giant / NTAG

Rattler / Iron Rattler

Boulder Dash with trick track removed in favor of triple up

i305 with reprofiled first turn

What are some other examples you can think of and to what degree does a coaster have to change for you to count it as a new credit?

I think coasters like Steel Phantom and Pippen are unique to Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt, but Hades is not unique to Hades 360. As was said, significant differences in the ride need to exist.

This. Hades and SOB just had a section of track replaced while the two examples above had major renovations with the track. I would also count the RMC renovations as new credits since the layouts were majorly altered from their original designs.

Sometimes I have trouble with this issue, so it's still a case-by-case basis for me.

Mr. Freeze: NO (have ridden both versions at SFOT)

Texas Giant/NTAG: YES (have ridden NTAG)

Rattler/iRat: YES (will have ridden both)

Otherwise, not sure where to draw the line. I think it's interesting to note in which forms I've ridden a coaster, and that could take the form of counting it as a new credit, but it's not a big deal. I will probably just go with the majority in each case unless I have a really good reason to differ.

For whether a modified coaster counts as a new credit or not, I use the following rule:

Once a coaster has been counted as a credit, it cannot be counted as a new credit unless...

A. A significant portion of the layout has been modified

B. The ride has recieved new trains that dramatically alter the ride experience, or

C. More than 60% of the track has been replaced during a single refurbishment

Using the listed examples...

Hades: Not a new credit: adding a barrel roll is not a signifcant change, just the additon of a new element

Phantom's Revenge: New credit: completely new layout with a majority of the track replaced

Son of Beast: Not a new credit: removal of the loop is just the removal of one element

Batman and Robin: The Chiller: Not a new credit: similar reasons to the above

Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast: Not a new credit: reversing the trains isn't a dramatic alteration of the ride experience, especially on a shuttle coaster

New Texas Giant: New credit: the ride has been converted from a wood coaster to a steel coaster with 100% track replacement

Iron Rattler: New credit: same reasons as New Texas Giant

Boulder Dash: Not a new credit: only a small section of track was modified

Intimidator 305: Not a new credit: the layout remained the same and only the profile was adjusted

I haven't actually been on any of these rides in multiple forms, but this is how I would count them if I had.

My head is spinning

Agree about making it a case by case basis. For me, it has to be a completely new ride to count as a new credit.

Taking from Larry's list:

Matterhorn - No

Bizarro SFNE and SFGA - No

Voyage with Timberliner trains - No

Hades 360 - No

Phantom's Revenge - Yes

Son of Beast - No

Chiller - No

Mr Freeze backwards - No

New Texas Giant - Yes

Iron Rattler - Yes

Boulder Dash tripple up - No

i305 re-profile - No

One of the reasons I gave up counting coasters was situations like this. It was to much effort to try to lay down rules on what or was not a credit and the next person would have different rules. It was at that point I realized that counting was only for my benefit. You really couldn't compare your count to someone elses.

• 1 year later...