TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

^Big Mike also counts alpine slides.

Big Mike does NOT count alpine slides!!

He does count mountain coasters though, different things!

I have been on quite a few alpine slides though, hmmmmm

I can't wait for my buddy Jeff Johnson to get back in the coaster kick, I miss him!

Peace, Big Mike

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

^Finally, someone who thinks like me. I do the same, except my private list is on an Excel spreadsheet rather than a Word document.

All three sites have their advantages and (sometimes deep) disadvantages, and since I genuinely love counting for personal reasons, it doesn't bother me to update all four of my lists.

CoasterCounter pros: It's a wiki, so you can add any coaster plus all kinds of details. The spinoff Ridecounter helps you keep track of any and all non-coaster attractions. You can rank your coasters (great for Mitch's poll), count laps and discover fun stats about your riding history.

CoasterCounter cons: You can only share your main list and lap count, with coasters and flats combined (can be tedious to view if you've ridden many flats and keep track of them all). Unfortunately, rankings are private. It's fairly user-friendly but has some shortcomings in that realm. The wiki aspect can make some entries, especially non-coasters, a real cluster to sort through.

CoasterFanatics pros: You must rate each coaster, which gives you intriguing stats on your preferences, contributes to collective ratings, and allows you to sort your list by rating to give you and others a snapshot of your opinions. There's also a handy personal calendar feature to document trips.

CoasterFanatics cons: BADLY outdated (a few years and counting). No traveling coasters. Therefore, not ideal for credit count showoffs.

Coaster-Count pros: Comprehensive coaster database including traveling coasters and controversial credits such as Butterflies and mountain coasters. As far as I know, it's updated frequently with information submitted by users. You can learn a quite a bit about your own coasting achievements and compare lists with others. There's also a fairly extensive trip planning feature.

Coaster-Count cons: Although it allows you to be a liberal counter for the most part, there are a couple counting quirks. You can count each side of a Mobius coaster as a separate credit, which is so unusual in practice as to be pointless. But apparently you are actually blocked from counting a relocated coaster as a new credit (though unpopular, this practice does appeal to some of us credit whores). It also hasn't struck me as the most "trendy" counting site among TPR members, so it may be harder to find friends to stalk. It lets you do and see a lot, but it's not always intuitive to use.

And that, my friends, is what a a full pot of coffee does for me.

^I love coaster-count for the map feature that shows you where all the coasters are you still need to ride. Really helps when planning a trip to see where you might want to go to pick up credits.

• 4 weeks later...

Random one, but I've been wondering and need the opinions of my fellow coasterholics.

What do you count as a coaster cred?

For example: Dominator at Geauga Lake now at KD. Steel Venom now at Dorney Park.

If I've been on the former, then ride em at their new places, ya count this as a new cred?

I mean this isn't a clone, but the same physical ride.

IMO I probably wouldn't count a relocation as a "new" coaster but IDK, just wanna hear some opinions.

Whadya guys think?

I don't count that as a new credit.

It's the same exact ride, just in a new location, only counts once.

That's my line of thought

I just love gathering opinion on this kind of crap though.

Also if I was alone in my thought and everyone said "its cool go whore your cred count" then Id do so

Sorry to bump a thread but I thought I should share my opinion on credits.

Racing/dueling coasters: 1 credit if the two tracks are very similar (Gemini) and 2 credits if the tracks are very different (Lightning Racers, Joris en de Draak, Gwazi, and Dragon Challenge).

Water Coasters: 1 credit if the coaster section is long enough (Mack Supersplash's draws the limit for me) things like Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point and Pilgrim's Plunge at Holiday World are not coasters.

Rethemes: not a new credit if you've ridden it before the retheme.

Redo's: A new credit if the track is significantly modified (Phantoms Revenge, NTAG, and Powder Keg).

Powered coasters: if it is semi powered by gravity I'll count it but, if it is just going around in a circle and only changing elevation by very little (Miner Mike's) it is not.

New locations: not a new credit if you've ridden it in it's old location.

Kiddie coasters: they are coasters just for kids, why not count them .

Clones: 1 credit since they are different coasters but in another park.

I think that is it .

Powered coasters: if it is semi powered by gravity I'll count it but, if it is just going around in a circle and only changing elevation by very little (Miner Mike's) it is not.

Do you mean rides with significant gravity-powered drops, like Fire in the Hole and Blazing Fury? Or do you consider some of the larger, more complex powered kiddie coasters to be partly gravity-powered? I've heard people say they actually coast on the downhill sections, though I don't know if that's accurate. I just count them all!

^^ oops I did mean to say that I do count each clone as there own credits, my bad .

^ I do count things like Blazing Fury and Fire in the Hole but, I don't count Miner Mike clones, they are the only powered coasters I don't count.

Just curious, does anybody else count alpine/mountain coasters? I see no reason why they shouldn't. They're fixated to the track, they have a lift hill and brakes, run on gravity, they're full-circuit, and can have roller coaster elements. The only difference I see is that the riders control the speed (and they're not generally on rcdb).

Just curious, does anybody else count alpine/mountain coasters? I see no reason why they shouldn't. They're fixated to the track, they have a lift hill and brakes, run on gravity, they're full-circuit, and can have roller coaster elements. The only difference I see is that the riders control the speed (and they're not generally on rcdb).

IMO they are coasters. I have a bigger issue with Mack and Intamin bobsleds that don't run on tracks.

^ In my opinion, I count the OTAG and NTAG as two separate credits since the track was modified enough to make the coaster completely different. OTAG was rough and boring and NTAG is smooth and airtime filled . The same goes for any other redo's too like Phantoms Revenge, Powder Keg, and Space Mountain at Disney Land in CA.

One thing I know does not count as a credit, but I have thought about is Intamin 1st gen freefalls.

I mean, just about everyone agrees it's not a credit. But, I have never come up with a good explanation as to why they are not credits. I mean, it has a track, an elevator lift, and it does change in elevation and slope. I guess one could argue that it has to go uphill on gravity, but, then again, Batflyers do go uphill. I am not arguing that 1st gen freefalls should count as credits, but I would just like to hear some sort of explanation. Is it only because the manufacterer said it wasn't a coaster, therefore making it not a coaster. What if Intamin did call it a coaster? Then, would we call them coasters today?