^

^^

^^^

^^^^

^^^^^

^^^^^^

^^^^^^^

etc etc etc.

Oh MY!!!!! What have I done?????!!!!!!!!

However, the reason I posed the question is that I USED CoasterFanatics as my counting source. But they haven't updated their site in well over a year, and I can't even log in now. So I went to CoasterCounter. Suddenly, my count is Waaaaayyyyyy different. And, figuring that they will eventually STOP existing, I'd just make my own Excel Spreadsheet.

I'm pretty sure I'll count different layout dueling coasters like Dueling Dragons etc as TWO. Racing coasters like Colossus as ONE. SFMM Superman's as ONE. Backward coasters that do /did ride forward as ONE. Relocated coasters as NEW at their park (Roadrunner express came from another park???? I had NOOOO idea!!!!). And Journey to Atlantis @ SWSD....YEAH, I call it a coaster, with an asterisk.

I think we can safely CLOSE THIS THREAD now. Thx.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Agreed! It is all about fun!.

Yup.

--Robb "You know that no girl on the planet is going to date you because you have a bigger coaster count, right?" Alvey

Well $h!t.

Gosh darn it.

--Robb "You know that no girl on the planet is going to date you because you have a bigger coaster count, right?" Alvey

Wait, for real!?!

Well it doesn't really pad my count since I've only got one "water coaster" on the list, but I totally understand where you're coming from with "When you spend most of your time in the water, it's a water ride." Still, it's very intriguing to see so many viewpoints on this topic, and you're rebuttal got quite a laugh out of me.

How about these-

The ARM G-Force (shuttle coaster or thrill ride?)

And the Conneaut Lake/Camden Park Pretzel Dark Rides. They use a chain lift, have a drop, and are powered by gravity.

I find it interesting to see what some people count as a coaster. This has been a good read.

^ I would probably count that as a flat ride. I even have problems counting things like Intamin Half-Pipes as they *feel* more like a flat ride than a coaster to me.

And Pretzel "dark rides?" No way! They are "dark rides."

Again, I count VERY conservatively. Rule of thumb - if you have to ask "is this a roller coaster???" it's not a roller coaster. I think something that counts as a roller coaster should be pretty obvious.

Like, if you have to ask "Is this a cupcake???" then it's not a cupcake.

(RE:coaster credit counting): ... Like, if you have to ask "Is this a cupcake???" then it's not a cupcake.

But what if we were counting CAKES. Would cupcakes count as a cake credit, or NOT? And then there's cheesecake. It has cake right there in the name,but, honestly, it's a pie. And then there's Little Debbie cakes. They ARE cakes, right? But what about Ho-Ho's and twinkies? Cakes as well? Sheesh!!! All this cake counting is going right to my thighs.

Please ask the name fairy to change COREYSJUNK's tag to "I would count cupcakes, but not cheesecakes".

-Mr Bebe

I dunno, I just really have a serious problem with "backyard coasters." And it goes back to what I said about how you can't have a coaster "close" because the guys not home or something.

surely using that logic, any coasters at theme parks where they have off seasons wouldn't count either?? That would leave just disney and a few others..

and even those, if all the ride ops go on strike, then they'd close too - meaning there are no countable coasters at all....

personally - I count anything on RCDB, http://coastercounter.com/#/ , http://www.coaster-count.com/welcome.xhtml and anything else I want to (I'm naughty and have hydro counted...)

dual tracks - 2 creds

relocated - 2 creds, just cos

changes would need to be significant (eg steel phantom) or have a big impact on ride style (complete change of car style)

backyard's - if I went on one, i'd count it

At Animal Kingdom last night I asked the group "anyone want to ride both rides of Primeval Whirl?" and the response was "I don't want to ride either side of Primeval Whirl!" So we marathoned Dinosaur instead!

This is the sort of thinking I approve of!

dt

I dunno, I just really have a serious problem with "backyard coasters." And it goes back to what I said about how you can't have a coaster "close" because the guys not home or something.

surely using that logic, any coasters at theme parks where they have off seasons wouldn't count either?? That would leave just disney and a few others..

Don't be an a$$hole. You know what I mean.

personally - I count anything on RCDB, http://coastercounter.com/#/ , http://www.coaster-count.com/welcome.xhtml and anything else I want to (I'm naughty and have hydro counted...)

dual tracks - 2 creds

relocated - 2 creds, just cos

changes would need to be significant (eg steel phantom) or have a big impact on ride style (complete change of car style)

backyard's - if I went on one, i'd count it

Right. This is fine at all, as you are allowed to count whatever you want, I'm just letting you know that, as there are people out there who will count rides like Hydro, there are also people out there who will laugh at you for doing so!

--Robb "You're one of the coaster geeks I have zero respect for." Alvey

ps. You might also REALLY want to focus on your spelling and grammar a bit too.

So, out of curiosity, would you count The Voyage before and after the Timberliners as different credits?

No. That would be incredibly stupid. I would seriously laugh at anyone who did that.

I realize I've made a few jokes in this thread on counts, but in all reality I count it if it's a coaster and listed on RCDB or part of a traveling roadshow, I will list it if it's been relocated and I've ridden in both locations, and yes, I count powered, sorry, but I do. Besides, as an enthusiast whats funnier than a grown man trying to fit in a powered kiddie coaster?

At the end of the day I count them for fun but also to keep track of those I have not ridden so that I can plan new places to visit. So counting isn't so much of a hey, I've ridden 10,000,000,000,000,000 coasters but more of a way to find new travel adventures via roller coasters.

I've never thought about it really seriously, but just checked whatever was listed on Coaster Counter that I've ridden. I've been wanting to update my Excel list and now would be a great time to do it and really think about what I want to count and what I don't.

With the twin track thing... if you're serious enough to get off of Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv and then get back on it right after just to ride the other side, I think you deserve to count it as two. Why else would you ride it twice in a row?

But srsly... I liked Robb's comment:

When it comes right down to it, if you're a person that is really concerned about your count, I feel you should be very "conservative" when it come to counting, because that way, when you tell someone what your number is, it's actually a REAL number, not just a bunch of coasters added to your list to make it sound like you rode more than you really did.

I've been worrying about a few things I counted that I wasn't sure if I should count... but why should I worry? If I'm more conservative about my count, then when I get my 100th coaster (hopefully soon!) and other landmark numbers, I can feel secure that it actually was my 100th coaster, and not my 80th that I pumped up into being my 100th. For me, it's the whole numbers or "landmark numbers" that are more important. When someone asks, I just say, "More than 80," not, "83.5 exactly" or whatever. After I get 100, I'll probably just say "more than 100" until I reach another landmark, and so on.

Plus, I don't want to sound like too much of a nerd when talking to friends and acquaintances! I would like to secure a hot date sometime in this decade.

Lastly, when you tell someone your number, who's really going to argue with you? "Excuse me, I heard you say you rode 349 coasters, but I believe you only rode 328." IMO, the whole credit counting thing is more for your own personal benefit to celebrate your accomplishments (and travel experiences!).

I would count traveling coasters, but I don't remember all of them, and I don't know what to call the ones that I have ridden. I'v e probably ridden 3-5 (Hi Miler is the only one I'm positive of) so I guess where I don't put those down on my list are made up with one water coaster credit.

But I do like to count both sides personally. I understand the single ride complex argument, but I see it as two separate tracks running side by side. Same argument applies for Mobius looped coasters to me. Like the only coaster I have yet to ride at SFGAdv is the left side of Rolling Thunder.

Hey Friends!

Love the topic Mr. Bebe!

I always enjoy hearing how charged up some people get when discussing how to keep a coaster count! lol I get a giggle everytime that my friend Hot Fuzz Rich gets on me for the way I count

I have not heard anyone mention it yet, everyone seems to talk about if it is on rcdb or not, I use coaster-count.com, which IMO is far superior to anything else out there. No need to track down traveling coasters or mountain coasters, they are all listed on the site and it lets you choose and sort all the possible options so you can count the way you like.

So, if anyone is interested in my thoughts, here is how I keep count without an explanation why, just because this is how I do it and since it is my count, I do it my way

Duel track coasters - yes

Powered coasters - yes

Kid coasters - yes

Relocated coasters - yes

Water coasters with coaster elements - yes

Backyard coasters - yes (I have ridden John Ivers and it is better than a lot of coasters on my list)

Traveling coasters - yes (The site I use has all the companies listed, so once I ride it somewhere, I do not count it again if I meet up with it in my travels)

Mountain coasters - yes

I personally would not count a coaster if it went backwards, or anything else that was not listed on coaster-count.

I have my own excel sheet as coaster-count does not count relocated coasters.

For me, it is not about padding my count as my theory is once I am above 1000 like I am if I count everything or only what everyone else says I should, it really is meaningless.

I also agree with a previous poster that it does feel like a badge of honor when I can pull off riding a Percy's Railroad, a closed for the season coaster, a John Ivers coaster, the Rye Playland coaster, Kids'N Action coaster etc etc and so on!

The reason I do like to count almost anything within reason is a lot like Chad, I have set a goal to ride EVERY COASTER in the USA, and if I exclude certain types, it diminishes my PERSONAL goal.

Currently, I have 76 TOTAL coasters left in the USA, which counts in 8 more mountain coasters, a slew of powered and kiddie coasters, and quite a few relocated coasters as well.

I enjoy the thrill of continuing to lower what is left in the USA and if I only counted what people say I should, I could almost be done and would have nothing left to look forward to, plus, I would feel it would be a cheapened or tainted achievement.

When I finally do succeed in my quest, I will KNOW that I did in fact ride EVERY SINGLE ROLLER COASTER IN THE USA, no matter how other enthusiasts decide to count them, because I will have ridden every type!

If you have a love for riding different types of coasters, indeed count them. In the end, it is only your joy and happiness riding them that should really matter to you and your personal count!

Love to all and happy coastering!

Peace, Big Mike

PS - Richard, I also have never heard of anyone riding Jeremy Reid's backyard coaster and will investigate further one of these days, since last time I was in the area I gave a half hearted attempt at it.

Brilliant topic idea! I'd love to weigh in on this one...

Here are my opinions:

Dual-Tracked Coasters:

If the designs are identical or mirrored, then they're obviously the same attraction, and should count as one credit (Colossus at Magic Mountain, for example).

If they're different designs, even built under the same name, such as Gwazi or Dragon Challenge, they count as two separate coasters.

Backward-Driven Coasters:

It's one credit, no matter how you are seated while traveling down the track.

What about Superman: The Escape & Superman: Escape From Krypton?

Same as the last one. It's one credit, no matter how you are seated while traveling down the track.

How about Space Mountain?

Two credits. Duh! If it's a different coaster, it's a different coaster! The theming makes no difference whatsoever.

When I finally do succeed in my quest, I will KNOW that I did in fact ride EVERY SINGLE ROLLER COASTER IN THE USA, no matter how other enthusiasts decide to count them, because I will have ridden every type!

If you have a love for riding different types of coasters, indeed count them. In the end, it is only your joy and happiness riding them that should really matter to you and your personal count!

I revere you, Big Mike. I think what you do is so cool! I can only hope that someday I'll be able to do what you're doing! If/When that time comes... I would count credits exactly the way you count them now!

When it comes right down to it, if you're a person that is really concerned about your count, I feel you should be very "conservative" when it come to counting, because that way, when you tell someone what your number is, it's actually a REAL number, not just a bunch of coasters added to your list to make it sound like you rode more than you really did.

The more I think about this, the more I understand it, but I definitely do not come anywhere close to sharing that view in practice. I feel that since counting is (or should be) just for fun, why not be liberal in your criteria? Since we all know it's not a competition, there's nothing to gain or lose based on how you count, other than credits themselves.

I do understand that it can be harder to compare between two similar coaster counts if one person is a credit whore and the other person isn't. You could look at my count (351) and assume I've been on nearly all the good coasters in the US and perhaps some elsewhere...but in reality I'm just a really big f--king credit whore and am missing plenty of major parks. But is anyone really going to overthink that enough to create any serious confusion or drama? Unlikely. I don't believe in practicing "quality over quantity," because I think that anyone who is serious about coasters is going to inevitably encounter many quality rides even if they do also pursue quantity.

I generally make my "rules" based on either the majority, or a sizable minority. Even if I'm so liberal it's not "cool," there are still plenty of others who count like I do. I usually draw the line at "credits" counted by a tiny minority, since counting them would undermine any meaningful comparisons between my count or list and most others.

Edited by cal1br3tto

^ I take the more conservative route so it seems like I've been on nothing, except I feel like I've done quite a bit. I generally take the RCDB route... If RCDB counts a ride as 1 toward the park's coaster count... I also count it as one. The only exception is when it is a drastically different layout (i.e. Dragon Challenge).

In the long run, I don't care how others do it, I just do it for fun for myself. Other people's rules do not bother me at all.

I'm not really a credit whore, as I see no point in riding kiddy coasters simply for the credit. Sure, I want a high count, but I'd like most of those coasters to be GOOD coasters. So instead of having 500 credits from whoring Wacky Worms, I'd rather have, say, 100 from riding some good coasters.

I pretty much completely agree with Robb on all this. The only slight variation for me is that, in the case of a racing coaster (like Steeplechase at BPB), I would want to ride all 3 tracks in order to consider it 1 credit.

I'm not really a credit whore, as I see no point in riding kiddy coasters simply for the credit. Sure, I want a high count, but I'd like most of those coasters to be GOOD coasters. So instead of having 500 credits from whoring Wacky Worms, I'd rather have, say, 100 from riding some good coasters.

As someone said earlier in this thread, riding rollercoasters is meant to be fun. I'm sure you'll have seen reports from TPR trips where the kiddie coaster has often been the source of the greatest fun and so, in my mind, there's no reason why they shouldn't count.

Everyone is different and everyone's counting criteria is different too. Ultimately the thing that matters is that you're doing something you enjoy, not how many you've been on.

Andrew