TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

^ Ahh, Wacky Box/Cycle Chase. I rode them both as well, and I know many people who actually count them as "8 coasters" (Hi Jeff Johnson), but I actually only count that whole ride as 1.

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as eight--only two.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it gets tricky with the track modifications. On rcdb, they count Texas Giant and NTaG as one credit all together, just as they do with Steel Phantom and Phantom's Revenge. I'd count both of those coasters as new credits.

With Water Coasters, I count them if they're on rcdb. SWSD's JTA has a noticeable uphill section which is defined as a coaster to me and it's on rcdb. Yet Log Ride @ Knott's, and Splash Mountain at Disneyland have gravity-driven uphill sections too, but no real track, so those aren't coasters. But then again, Dudley Do Right does have uphill section and its on a track, yet it's not on rcdb. So it's all kind of confusing. Also, Fuga de Atlantica at Gardalanda runs on a track with full coaster parts, but doesn't go uphill on it's own momentum, but so does Perilous Plunge too...

I personally don't count powered coasters as credits, and I would only count some water coasters as credits. For example, Atlantica Supersplash at Europa Park doesn't have enough track for me to call it a credit, while Poseidon at the same park does.

As for racing/duelling coasters, I only count them as two credits if they have largely different layouts. For example, Dragon Challenge is clearly two different coasters, so that's two different credits. Same goes for Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore. One side is an inverted coaster, the other is a sitdown. Clearly that's two credits. However, with a coaster like Colossus at SFMM both sides are almost identical, so I call the overall ride a single credit.

The only one I'm not sure about is cloned coasters. For example, I don't know if I'd count each SLC or each Batman the Ride clone as individual credits, or count them all as one. I'm leaning more towards counting them all individually, as they all probably supply a different ride experience. For example, one SLC could be particularly painful while another could be not too bad.

Saying that a coaster "has to go uphill" to be a coaster not only doesn't make any sense, buys its completely stupid. So you wouldn't count any of the Caprio Batflyers or Setpoint suspended rides because they don't go "uphill????"

Stupid.

Duane on rcdb told me that's one thing he uses in order to classify it as a coaster. "To go uphill on its own momentum."

EDIT: But I agree, it seems like an odd definition to base a coaster off of. And it's hypocritical to have the coasters you mentioned listed as coasters even though they defy his definition. He told me this when he was talking about how he defines putting water coasters on the website.

Edited by chickenbowl

^ Well, that's one persons opinion, but to me that makes no sense. There are actually quite a lot of coasters that don't actually have any uphill sections once it crests the lift.

That sounds like a bogus criteria to me.

There are only three backyard coasters I would count.

Blue Flash, Blue Two, and Jeremy Reid's Backyard Coaster.

Those three coasters are too well done not to be counted as credits.

I dunno, I just really have a serious problem with "backyard coasters." And it goes back to what I said about how you can't have a coaster "close" because the guys not home or something. If you're going to officially count something that a guy built in his backyard, then seriously, you might as well count it when you coast your car down a hill, because that will have more technology and be more "well done" that some guys Home Depot creation, no matter how good it might be.

Duane on rcdb told me that's one thing he uses in order to classify it as a coaster. "To go uphill on its own momentum."

But he includes bobsled coasters on rcdb doesn't he? They have no uphill sections nor do they even run on tracks. Which brings up the whole topic of Mountain/Alpine coasters.

Like Robb said, do it however you want.

^ Well, that's one persons opinion, but to me that makes no sense. There are actually quite a lot of coasters that don't actually have any uphill sections once it crests the lift.

Yes, a few bobsled coasters do not go uphill. I don't think Flying Turns does either.

EDIT: Larrygator, we brought up the same point at the same time. I agree, it's all on your own personal opinion in the end.

I pretty much agree with Robb's counting method with the exception of backyard coasters. But like everyone else has said, it doesn't really matter how you count them.

Since there's been a lot of in-depth discussion in the thread already, I guess I'll go all-out here.

First, I use a "modified RCDB rule." If it's on RCDB, it counts, but if it's not, it still might count.

Second, to sum up my interest in credits, I would say "I count for personal reasons, but with an interest in sharing."

Multi-track: Each track is always a separate credit. I don't care whether they're intended to race or duel (and whether they actually do, if they're supposed to), or how similar the tracks are, or how much structure they share.

Mobius: One credit because that's what the overwhelming majority does, but I'll admit this confuses me. Yes, I understand how they work, but I'm just not sure why that has to mean they're worth only one credit. Personally, I see two full coaster experiences nearly identical to those on any other racing coasters. If I ride "half," it feels like I rode one coaster. But counting them as two is just too nonconformist to have any value.

Switch in train direction: Undecided, but inclined not to count. This doesn't seem to come up on the counting sites, so even if I counted that way I wouldn't be able to share it publicly. Overall, it's just not worth keeping track of all the changes. As on rides with permanent backward-facing seats, I think I'll just ride backwards for fun, not a credit.

I will say, though, that the S:EFK change threw me off for a while, and I'm surprised the "credit question" was rarely mentioned. I know the track is the same, but this change was intended to make the ride experience significantly different, and was also meant to be long-term or permanent on at least one side. Because of this significant change, riders might want to note that they rode both S:TE and S:EFK. However, I think I'll go with the majority and give up on this idea. I can explain which one(s) I've ridden in conversation if it comes up, without it affecting my count.

Relocated: I'm still undecided, but inclined to count them. If I count them, it's because I want to note that I rode the ride in each particular location, and if I'm going to record that privately anyway, why not make it part of my official count as well? I'm not interested in intentionally keeping separate "public" and "private" numbers.

Traveling: Count (once per individual coaster). I'm proud to have counted two Wacky Worms from the same company!

Powered: Count (if they are or would be on RCDB). Enough people do it that I see no reason to leave myself out. Plus, they're clearly coaster-based, and some people argue that some of them do actually coast.

Water coasters: Strictly by the RCDB rule. It doesn't matter what the overall style of the ride is (i.e. many are log flumes or glorified shoot-the-chutes), or how long the coaster section is (and some are very short). I know some flumes not on RCDB are considered very similar to those that are, but they still don't count.

Dark rides: RCDB rule, with the caveat that I'm not sure about dark rides that aren't on RCDB but a small number of people count, such as the ones at Conneaut Lake and Camden Park. I can understand arguments both ways.

Kiddie coasters: Count all (and generally go out of my way to ride them). I don't care about size, type or layout. I can understand never or rarely riding them, or only riding them with children you know, but I don't understand not counting ones you've ridden, unless you are very obsessive about your count reflecting quality rides.

Drop rides: Never a credit (unless on RCDB). I strongly debated counting first-generation Intamin Free-Falls, as I have seen them considered coasters a nearly-negligible number of times. But as with Mobius coasters, they're simply too rarely counted for it to be meaningful to do so myself.

I dunno, I just really have a serious problem with "backyard coasters." And it goes back to what I said about how you can't have a coaster "close" because the guys not home or something. If you're going to officially count something that a guy built in his backyard, then seriously, you might as well count it when you coast your car down a hill, because that will have more technology and be more "well done" that some guys Home Depot creation, no matter how good it might be.

I've never ridden the coasters in question, but to me, counting Blue Flash/Blue Too is more of a 'badge of honour' type thing rather than padding your count, and I reckon the fact Noxegon got it as his 1500th cred speaks to that.

It's sort of in the same mindset to managing to get some other really out of the way cred, or getting all the creds in a particular "set" of coasters.

Re being "well made", I guess what I'd interpret that as is that there is some design intent behind it....actually setting out to make a roller coaster that bears most of the characteristics/"systems" of one in a park, rather than a skateboard running down some plastic piping and having the track end and the skateboard rolling onto the lawn as the braking system.

There are only three backyard coasters I would count.

Blue Flash, Blue Two, and Jeremy Reid's Backyard Coaster.

Those three coasters are too well done not to be counted as credits.

Has anyone other than Jeremy Reid ridden Jeremy Reid's coaster? I got the impression it wasn't open to others.

I too go by a modified version of RCDB, but I count travelling coasters. As for relocated, I'll admittingly get the cred, but if the ride was moving around alot, that begins to draw the line. I'll admit I'm a credit whore, I once tried to convince myself at my last job that (in the middle of winter) riding a shopping cart down a small ramp inside was a credit...obviously it's not, but you have to make fun of yourself.

In the end, for me anyway, this hobby is just about having fun. Pardon the bad pun, but that's how I roll...(I expect to be banned for that downright crappy pun). lol

^Agreed! It is all about fun!

I'm lazy and also don't really care about my numbers that much so I just go by "whatever is in coaster-counter.com" as my general rule. I do generally feel that multi-tracks do count as two credits (hey! I like riding both sides of Primeval Whirl!) and I also will count rides like Journey to Atlantis that have a decent sized "coaster" segment.

(hey! I like riding both sides of Primeval Whirl!)

LOL! You know you're the only one!

At Animal Kingdom last night I asked the group "anyone want to ride both rides of Primeval Whirl?" and the response was "I don't want to ride either side of Primeval Whirl!" So we marathoned Dinosaur instead!

Well - for me credits include:

- Portable coasters like my Schwarzkopf's in Germany - current and past ones

- Schwarzkopf Bayernkurve's and BHS Metroliner as those are IMO powered coasters

- Summer Rail-Sleds like this at Fort Fun

What I dont include are:

- Watercoasters were the car is not fixed onto the track/rails or which can swim freely in the water

I mostly use my coaster count as a way to look back at the coasters I've ridden because my memory isn't exactly the greatest, but it also makes a good conversation piece and I can give a ready number if anybody asks me. It's also fun to see how high I can get my count, which is why I go for the kiddie coasters as well. Getting strange looks and questions is all part of the fun.

I pretty much agree with CoasterCounter.com's system except for relocated coasters. I think Robb's analogy with the Wacky Worm just about sums up my reasons on that.

Dual Tracked Coasters

I count these as two, no matter how similar the sides are. If you take one side away, you still have one coaster left. If you rode Big Bad John and River King Mine Train, would that only count as one (I know, horrible example)? My point is, if you removed half the coaster and hypothetically moved it to another part of the park, wouldn't it then be two different coasters?

Traveling Coasters

Of course CoasterCounter can't keep up with all of the traveling coasters I've ridden, but I've ridden so few that it hardly makes up 1% of my list. So for discussion purposes, I usually only use the number displayed on CoasterCounter. But one day I plan on looking back on the traveling coasters I've been on, researching their make and where they've been, and formally adding them to my list (though I'm pretty sure I've been on less than 10).

Water Coaster

If The Mummy can be both a dark ride and a roller coaster, can't Journey To Atlantis be both a water ride and a roller coaster if it has roller coaster elements? I guess this ties in with the "If it's on RCDB, it's a roller coaster" because I don't count Splash Mountain or Dudley Do-Right.

Backyard Coasters

I'll let you know when I ride one

All in all, my coaster count is a conversation piece and a personal goal. I understand I don't have the most concrete logic, and it's not perfect, but it doesn't have to be perfect. My life won't be ruined if it's not perfect. I hope you don't read my question as sardonic, rhetorical questions, because I really like hearing what other people have to say.

Water Coaster

If The Mummy can be both a dark ride and a roller coaster, can't Journey To Atlantis be both a water ride and a roller coaster if it has roller coaster elements?

You're just saying that so you can pad your count. I get it. A lot of people do it. It's like people who buy really expensive, fast cars just to make up for other deficiencies.

--Robb "You know that no girl on the planet is going to date you because you have a bigger coaster count, right?" Alvey

I like to keep a count as a memento of what I've ridden and not actually trying to seem like a credit whore. My basing on how I see fit as a credit:

Racing/Dueling Coasters

I count as one ride. Even though Lightning Racer, the only dueling I've ridden, has two slightly different tracks, it's still one ride in my eyes. In the case of Batman and Robin Chiller, if I would have been able to have ridden both sides (have only ridden Robin) that would have counted as two since they are vastly different tracks (Batman's inverted top hat vs. Robin's cobra roll).

Powered Coasters

The only one I've ridden was Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland and I do count it since it has coaster-type elements in it. I consider rides like Bayern Kurves as flat rides even though they are powered and run on a track.

Relocated Coasters

I do count X-Flight/Firehawk, Stealth/Nighthawk and Head Spin/Carolina Cobra as two separate rides. They are in different parks and I consider them a credit for their respective parks.

Rethemed/Renamed Coasters

Having ridden Medusa prior to its conversion I would not consider Bizarro as a new credit if I get the chance to re-ride it again. I do not count Evel Knievel/American Thunder as two separate rides. Turning the direction of travel from backwards to forwards like with the Cedar Fair racing coasters does not make it a new credit.

I mostly use my coaster count as a way to look back at the coasters I've ridden because my memory isn't exactly the greatest, but it also makes a good conversation piece and I can give a ready number if anybody asks me. It's also fun to see how high I can get my count, which is why I go for the kiddie coasters as well.

I could've written this myself.