TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Child injured on ride overdue for safety inspection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-jjq0i1t8

NDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - State safety inspectors were inside Lafayette Square Mall Tuesday trying to figure out how a 5-year-old boy was critically hurt on an amusement ride late last week.

Indiana's Department of Homeland Security said the Xscape Party Center failed to notify the agency within four hours of the incident as it's required to do.

According to a police report, 5-year-old Denzel Jennings hit his head and fell out of the Tea Cup ride. He was taken to Riley Hospital unconscious, but still breathing. He is still at the hospital.

Homeland Security tells I-Team 8 they could not find any evidence that Xscape had an entertainment permit and may have been in non-complience for the 16 months they were open.

On top of that, Homeland Security records show the Tea Cup ride at Xscape was last inspected in December of 2008, and was due for a re-inspection in December of 2009, but that was never done. In fact three other rides The Jumparound, Frog Hopper and Bumper Cars hadn't been inspected and have been ordered shut down until Xscape reapplies for permits and inspections to operate them.

I-Team 8 wanted to document the inspection process Tuesday, but were told by mall management to leave the property.

"Well, it is private property," said mall manager Phil Thornton. "You have to understand with private property there are property rights at your house you have that with your business. Channel 8 would have it at their building. So that's the reason why, we have a standard policy."

Last summer, I-Team 8's investigation "Fair Warning" showed how amusement rides are only subject to a single inspection annually, even though many of the rides travel from town to town throughout the year.

Homeland Security records show the Tea Cup ride at Xscape was last inspected in December of 2008, and was due for a re-inspection in December of 2009, but that was never done.

I hope the kid is ok

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic