TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On most visits I end up talking to other people in line or some of the employees. On all four of my SFMM visits this year I have had employees recognize me and start talking to me while I was in line or walk up and talk to me while I was walking around the park.

This happens to me too, I know most of the ride operators for Xcelerator pretty well as well as several of the Supreme Scream operators. You just make friends at the park if you have too, thats what I have done because I have no roller coaster enthusiast friends that are willing to go to Knott's as much as I do

Speaking of which, anyone want to go to KD/BGE in mid May and KI/HW in mid August?

I wouldn't mind meeting up to go to KD/BGE, however it would depend on when. My May schedule is quite busy though, so chances are it wouldn't work out. Let me know when and I'll see if I could meet up with you.

I've only ever been to Kings Island alone. I had a great time and even got to experience the fun that is a torrential downpour that shuts down a park for a couple hours. Most of time I go to parks with my dad (who doesn't ride anything that goes upside down) and have to ride a majority of the rides by myself anyways. I still am able to have a great time though.

i've done gone to alot of parks alone, kinda cool to go to knott's in the off season and just hit al the coasters with no lines, or use the single rider line for california screamin, its weird but i have kids who are not old enough for alot of rides, so i end up riding alone anyway, i don't have a problem with it, except those "look at the poor lonely guy" looks i get from some of the ride ops when they ask how many, i mean half the time i just told my wife i was going to the bathroom and somehow wound up in the coaster line, or eating funnel cake, or both, the other thing is that alot of the time i go to just ride, not shop or sight see, and bringing someone with justs kinda kills that

every season I get a season pass to Six Flags St. Louis since its only about 35 minutes away, and with the exception of a couple of visits, I spend all of my time at the park alone. The advantage of going by yourself is that you can ride whatever you choose to ride and as often as you choose to ride. the only disadvantage is not being able to share in the good time your having with anyone, nothing better than having a good coaster moment, and having someone there to share it with.

I think this would make an interesting poll question.

Thinking back to the past few parks I was at alone. The last one was Kings Island for Pride Night- the lines were social enough that it didn't matter it you were with anyone or not- plus I did run into some friends. The next day at the Ren Fest I had a blast- being alone made it easier to talk to the shop keepers, entertainers, etc. About a year earlier I did SFGAm with a Q-Bot alone and this was fun too. EPCOT is also fun alone for the same reason as the Ren Fest.

It is usually not hard to get people from the area to go to Cedar Point with me; however beyond that I am on my own traveling anywhere more than two hours away. I just don't have any local friends who see the point of traveling more than 120 miles away to go to a Theme Park with CP just down the Coast.

I never had a problem with riding alone when I was younger. But for some reason, as of lately, I really don't like to do much of anything by myself. I'm a really social person, so I get kind of lonely when I feel like there isn't someone around me that I'm familiar with.

However, when it comes down to it, if my choices were to visit a park alone (that I had a desire to go to), or not go at all, I would probably choose to go alone. And when the situation comes about where I am alone at parks, I'm not hesitant to turn the people behind me in line and strike up a conversation. I've learned many things about others and even myself (such as, how pretty my eyes are, and how I "don't sound like [i'm] from Kentucky") in random queue line discussions.

Edited by DBru

On most visits I end up talking to other people in line or some of the employees. On all four of my SFMM visits this year I have had employees recognize me and start talking to me while I was in line or walk up and talk to me while I was walking around the park.

This happens to me too, I know most of the ride operators for Xcelerator pretty well as well as several of the Supreme Scream operators. You just make friends at the park if you have too, thats what I have done because I have no roller coaster enthusiast friends that are willing to go to Knott's as much as I do

I had this happen at KBF in 2005, just after Silver Bullet opened. I went there almost every Sunday that whole year and a ride op on Silver Bullet started to expect me to be there every Sunday. I skipped a Sunday one time and went to SFMM that Tuesday instead. The following Sunday I went to KBF again and she said she missed me since I wasn't there the previous weekend. I told her I "cheated on her" and went to SFMM instead. That gave her a good laugh.

I go alone basically because all of my friends think that it's immature to go to amusement parks. I was afraid to do it alone but i had to break the ice because I was missing out on a lot, but when i broke that fear and branched out to SFOT alone from Houston, I NOW prefer to be alone. Don't have to consider ANYONE elses opinion on what, when, where and how.

I have no problem going by myself, as I am wondering where to go this year. For me, it's all about pacing, you know, I did the family trip one year to Cedar Point, my buddy Larry came along, but it was like riding by myself. I had ridden like 8 coasters in under 2 hours, went back to front, and it was nice. I simply can't ride with people, using the Point as a reference, who want to ride Millennium Force, and then go all the way over to something like Gemini, instead of just walking around hitting everything as you pass it.

It's common sense...

I got to get on what I wanted to, eat what I wanted, and do what I wanted when I wanted.

That's also why I don't mind going alone. Lucky for me though, my wife likes exactly the same things as me, so when she is there I still get to do everything I want! (I hope it's that she likes exactly what I like, and not because she is very familiar with the back of my hand and the bottom of my foot! )

I did when I lived closer to CGA.

I would be bored at home sometimes and would just get up and go have fun for a couple hours.

One time I went just to ride Drop Tower and Flight Deck.

I had a little marathon on them for a while since the park was empty and no people nagging at me that they wanted to ride something else.

I dont see anything worng with it...I've thought about it a few times, but personally I dont think I can don it. I have too much fun with my friends/loved ones and I'm too much of a sociable person...I'll probably be talking to myself, lol!

Now, one thing I dont mind doing is...being that I work during Haunt at KD, I might catch some rides and walk through the park by myself before casting, but I can't do it all day long as a day at the park.

Last year I was in LA for a school club DECA International Conference and we went to Disneyland, I went off by myself and ended up riding the most rides out of anyone in the club.

I don't mind going solo, especially since i get into Kings Island for free so i'll be going alot.

THANK YOU everyone for your nice responses. I really would love to befriend some local users of the site to enjoy local parks with or plan a trip with.

I hit SFA alone a couple of times a year, KD at least three times alone a year and SFGAdv once or twice alone a year.

You're welcome to come anytime with me...you should know that by now!

Well lets plan it!!! lol I really want to go to Dorney this summer. I have not been there in YEARS!!!

I did DCA by myself last year, on my birthday. Slightly depressing at first. So I decided to make the best of it and used the spare time to take pictures of the park, enjoy the shops & food at your own pace, and the single rider lines came in really handy as my b-day happens to hit right across spring break for so cal. It's more of what you make of it.

I have to admit it makes me feel a little better about visiting parks alone now that I know so many of you are doing the same thing. All these years I thought I was in the vast minority. I have been doing it for so long that I now actually prefer it. I enjoy the freedom to do whatever I want, especially when I want to power ride my favorite coaster and there is nobody there to say "let's go ride something else, we just rode that".