TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

I haven't been to a park with anyone else since 2014. My inner circle just don't have the time, interest or income to do it, especially as I tend to travel to parks some distance away and nobody wants to be on a bus/train that long.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the freedom of going to a park by myself. It is great to be able to stop when you want to stop and re ride when you want to re ride. I have never felt lonely either. On the other hand, by going with people it gives you another person to share the experience with. I would say there is no problem with going to park alone, however middle aged women get asked questions and get dirty looks when on their own in a park

Being from Brazil I got used to traveling to amusement parks alone. Roller Coasters are just not part of latin america culture, so people down here just won't spend time or money traveling to amusement parks that don't have a famous mouse as a mascott.

That being said, I've been to over 200 parks worldwide in about 30 countries, and I would say 90% of the times I was alone, but it never bothered me or made the experience less enjoyable. On the contrary, the times I traveled to foreign amusement parks with non coaster friends I had to spend so much time translating everything and explaining why this and that ride were considered good or bad that I didn't get to enjoy the park as much as I would have enjoyed alone. Nowadays if someone asks to join me on a trip I usually say no, unless it is someone that knows how to appreciate the little things at parks like I do. I love sitting alone at foreign amusement parks and just watch the people pass by, see how they react to the rides, how they dress up for amusement parks, how the teenagers behave, etc.

Being from Brazil I got used to traveling to amusement parks alone. Roller Coasters are just not part of latin america culture, so people down here just won't spend time or money traveling to amusement parks that don't have a famous mouse as a mascott.

That being said, I've been to over 200 parks worldwide in about 30 countries, and I would say 90% of the times I was alone, but it never bothered me or made the experience less enjoyable. On the contrary, the times I traveled to foreign amusement parks with non coaster friends I had to spend so much time translating everything and explaining why this and that ride were considered good or bad that I didn't get to enjoy the park as much as I would have enjoyed alone. Nowadays if someone asks to join me on a trip I usually say no, unless it is someone that knows how to appreciate the little things at parks like I do. I love sitting alone at foreign amusement parks and just watch the people pass by, see how they react to the rides, how they dress up for amusement parks, how the teenagers behave, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done many parks alone. It is really nice to be able to do what you want when you want, so I enjoy that aspect of it. However, it isn't my preference. The social aspect for me enhances an already great experience! That is one of the many reasons why I joined this site(I'm new here, haha). In hopes of making some coaster/theme park enthusiast friends. Most of my "non-enthusiast" friends enjoy parks and coasters, but not to the extent that I do. Not to mention most of them are too busy or broke to be bothered going to parks. And of the ones that I do go to parks with, excluding a few, most of them are ready to go home after a few hours..... While I like to stay from open to close 99% of the time. So in the absence of any coaster/park enthusiast friends, I have ended up going to a lot of parks by myself haha. I promise, I am super easing going, and easy to get along with lol. It was just a lack of effort on my part to meet like-minded people. So having said that, I have usually had a really great time at parks alone and will most likely do it again. But for me, the social aspect is what makes the experience and memories even better!

• 2 weeks later...

I rather go to parks with friends. I haven't really thought of going to parks myself, but I'll probably do it once to get a couple of credits in. It's not easy to find the crowd of coaster enthusiasts. I usually go to theme parks with my college roommate. During our freshman year, we played roller coaster tycoon night after night. We are planning a pilgrimage to Cedar Point in 2018.

Don't have a problem with it, and I have done it once or twice, but I prefer with people. At the very least because if you get caught in even a somewhat long line it sucks. I went to SF:NE and was able to just ride the hell out of everything for a few hours, but after lunch there were lines for everything and...it sapped my energy. I went home. I got all I needed so no problem but I'd have preferred to stay longer.

I guess with a fast pass this would not be an issue. I used to be opposed but as I get older by the year I'll probably cave lol That's mostly it for me, if I'm going solo I wanna basically do as much as possible, and be "in and out".

Luckily TPR are good people and even going to places alone, I know I'll meet people or at the very least know there'll always be people of the same group around to kinda hang around with.

This place is great for the person who likes rides more (or more passionately) than friends and wants to travel but is also shy

I prefer to go to new (to me) parks either by myself or with my partner. I like to be able to set my own schedule and prioritize the attractions I wish to do/see. I really hate being held up when I'm on the move. At parks I've visited many times (like BGT or SWO) I don't mind going with small groups of family or friends since I'll likely be back soon. Plus I get to be like the tour guide if they've never been before.

I have never thought about going to parks alone. I usually drag my non enthusiast boyfriend to parks every summer (he loves me for it). But I know he has his own schedule and funds so I don't think he would want to travel to every amusement park that I want to go to. Also I think I would enjoy being alone in parks to an extent. Being an introvert, I don't like being in big groups, but I also would start feeling lonely especially if I'm standing in line for hours without anyone to talk to. I guess you can say I like the social aspect that amusement parks brings to people. I really feel connected with my friends when I go. Even if all of them aren't enthusiasts.

Hi so I used to go a park alone near my house but I went too many times alone and it was not exactly by choice. The problem I face is I am someone who wants to go pretty much every week or so and It can be extremely hard to find anyone who is willing to go. But yeah I used to go and now I can't do that anymore maybe I could if I went to a different park but even then I have no idea if I could handle it anymore it is just to depressing for me to go alone again

I definitely prefer going to parks with friends, but I've gotten more comfortable with stopping at parks on my own, especially for short trips. Like, if I'm passing by one of my home parks I'm OK to stop, or visiting somewhere and have an extra afternoon to myself I'll go to a park. One of my best trips was actually when I was in New Jersey for work on my own and went to Great Adventure after I was done one evening. I rode Nitro, then El Toro four times and called it. Much harder to do that with people. Usually the biggest issue is waiting in line I get bored or lonely much faster, so being at a crowded park alone is less fun, and usually I'll head home early then.

I will say that while I've never done it, I think going to a really well themed park by myself would be pretty fun. I'd love to go Disneyland and just stroll around slowly looking at the theming. I guess I've done that with Knott's, it's pretty good that way.

Hey I say what ever suites you in the moment go for it. (Assuming no one is hurt and it's not illegal.) There are times when I really enjoy being alone, but other times when I love being with friends/family. I don't see anything about either case just different moods.

I used to go to Knotts by myself at least once a week. Wasn't lonely at all and actually enjoyed it. Made friends with alot of the employees and ride ops, plus being a single rider got to slide into empty seats alot quicker and get on rides faster. Have done SFMM a few times solo too, makes it fun to just do what you want and not have anyone wanting to ride something else or do something else can just go at your own pace.

I prefer going with people, but I'd much rather go alone rather than not go at all. I went alone this weekend for Mystic Timbers opening and stuck it out through the long lines and met some cool new people (non-enthusiasts) that I ended up hanging out with for the day, so it ended up not too lonely after all. I've met a lot of people because of being alone at parks. I actually met my boyfriend because we both happened to be alone at Cedar Point and sat together on Magnum.

Going to new parks with people can be tough only because non-enthusiast friends/family don't want to marathon/hit everything up the way I do, but we still have a great time together. Usually towards the end of the day when everyone else decides they want a break and I'm still rearing to go they "turn me loose" to catch up on whichever last rides I want and everyone ends up happy.

When I lived in California I would go all the time to Disneyland alone. Had zero issue going alone and typically would meet cool people and hang with them.

Now I live near cedar point and will be going alone there but I'll post for that when I'm going to see if anyone wants to meet up

• 2 weeks later...

The following parks I've gone to as a loner... SFSTL, Holiday World, Mt. Olympus, SFGAm, SDC, and WoF. IMO, there's pros and cons to it. The pros - you can do what you want, when you want, and at your own pace. Single riders have less wait times. You get to mingle and meet new people... And as an enthusiast you can get a chance to just sit back and take in the atmosphere without worrying about wasting other people's time. The cons is it can sometimes get a little lonely, getting paired up on rides with annoying people, and have no one to split the parking fee with lol. Overall, I don't mind going to a park alone, as long as it's a park I've already been to with someone else.

I at least will do one or two parks alone during the season. After the 8 hour ride to Cedar point twice a year. Then spending two days in the park with my wife and brother in law arguing over what we're riding next. The following week Im six flags bound by myself.

• 1 year later...

Bump....

Ever since i watched Themeparkworldwide and his solo visit to Cedar Point i want to go there to.

Now, since i'm from the Netherlands getting there is a bit tricky, and expensive. My son of 10 months is not really suited for that kind of travelling, so my wife needs to stay home.

She gave the all clear that i could go on my own, but i'm still a bit scared i might nog like it. I do feel like in Cedar Point the chance of meeting fellow coaster crazy's is pretty high though .

Anyone experience with visiting themeparks abroad?

Bump....

Ever since i watched Themeparkworldwide and his solo visit to Cedar Point i want to go there to.

Now, since i'm from the Netherlands getting there is a bit tricky, and expensive. My son of 10 months is not really suited for that kind of travelling, so my wife needs to stay home.

She gave the all clear that i could go on my own, but i'm still a bit scared i might nog like it. I do feel like in Cedar Point the chance of meeting fellow coaster crazy's is pretty high though .

Anyone experience with visiting themeparks abroad?

What a funny coincidence. I live a few minutes from CP and a few weeks ago, I went on a solo trip to the Netherlands and a few other countries. I considered going to a few parks but I skipped them because I had already been and I wanted to explore more of the cities. Solo trips are the best.