TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

I usually go to parks alone, but I usually go to a park on short notice, so I don't have time to see if any friends are going. If I have a weekend where I am in the area, or have nothing going on, I'll just decide to go to the park for a few hours. When I do go with friends I have a great time, but between the little planning time and just spending a few hours at the park, means I visit parks by myself more often than with friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to SFOG a lot by myself. I do like going with a group of friends more, but they usually end up not being able to drive up to atlanta. So I am use to and it doesn't bother me to go by myself. I have also been going to disney world by myself for the past few years. My problem is getting people to spend the money to go.

I've been to BGT far too many times by myself.

When I want to geek out and basically "do an update" about the park, sure. I've been to Elitch Gardens by myself for some credit whoring because I was there. But I prefer company... you get that deep lonely/loser feeling when you see too many people with friends and family.

• 4 years later...

I'm flying out to New York on business next week....and I was thinking of renting a car and hitting up SFGAdv, since I don't know when else I would have to chance to ride Kingda Ka and the highly praised El Toro. I don't really mind missing Zumanjaro if it's still under construction, since we have Lex Luthor at SFMM. I've never been on a B&M Hyper..so I'm pretty stoked about that, as well. Being a SoCal and NorCal driver..I'm hoping that driving out in NYC won't be too different, LOL! Anyway, reading this thread is comforting since I was a little hesitant to grab a rental and drive an hour and a half to the park. Seeing that SFGAdv has such a unique set of rides, I was going to go anyway. Anybody have tips on where to eat, what not to miss?

I'm flying out to New York on business next week....and I was thinking of renting a car and hitting up SFGAdv, since I don't know when else I would have to chance to ride Kingda Ka and the highly praised El Toro. I don't really mind missing Zumanjaro if it's still under construction, since we have Lex Luthor at SFMM. I've never been on a B&M Hyper..so I'm pretty stoked about that, as well. Being a SoCal and NorCal driver..I'm hoping that driving out in NYC won't be too different, LOL! Anyway, reading this thread is comforting since I was a little hesitant to grab a rental and drive an hour and a half to the park. Seeing that SFGAdv has such a unique set of rides, I was going to go anyway. Anybody have tips on where to eat, what not to miss?

Awesome man, have fun!!

I did once... Well sort of. I went straight to Thorpe Park from Heathrow Airport, so I would make the park on time. My mates went back to the hotel first and said they would meet me at the park. Unfortunately my phone died, so there was no way of contacting them, so I just ran around the park by myself and got 4 credits in the first 2 hrs before heading over to ride Swarm. By now I had given up finding my mates at a very very busy Thorpe Park (even Colossus had a 90 min wait with 2 trains operating). Amazingly, I bumped into my mates by the Swarm! I have to so, being by yourself is okay, but I didn't really like having no one to talk to abut the rides and to past the time in the long queues! In short, to get credits, yes! By all means, going alone is fun, but it's not worth it otherwise in my opinion.

I've been to a few alone:

Europa Park

Efteling (4 day dissertation study trip - 3 of the days alone)

Disneyland Paris

Walt Disney Studios Paris

These were done on various theme park mini-tours, and I really enjoyed doing them alone. Company is good, as you cannot beat the thrill of introducing someone to a new ride or park, but doing them alone was much more efficient in terms of doing the rides I wanted

I personally like to be by myself anyway, so going to a park by myself is no different, plus it means I can get away with more rides throughout the day since I don't have to wait around for anyone of I can use the single rider lines.

^Yeah that's true. Most of the times I've been to parks I was with my parents who often, after a while, got tired and so I could ride anything the way I wanted to.

With friends it's different as you have to wait for them and you aren't fully free to choose what to ride. It's nice that i had already visited all the parks I went to with my friends as those occasions were the ones where I got the fewer rides (literally) of all the trips I've made to parks.

The experience of riding a coaster together is great fun but it might be quite annoying when you are trying to get things moving and either they are slow or want to ride crappy attractions. In April this year I went to portaventura with some friends and all I got was one ride on each of the main coasters (including one side of stampida) and some crappy simulator. The only reason I wasn't furious was because I had already been there as I had the feeling that, even though the place was packed, I could have used the time I had much better.

So I guess the best would be going to a park only with coaster enthusiasts friends (which I don't really have )

I've done it before. My trip to Florida I visited IoA SWO and BGT for two days, by myself. I also went to Kings Dominion earlier this year by myself as well. It does get quite lonely, especially when you see everyone else with their friends and family but one good thing about visiting parks by yourself is that you're on your own time.

I go to parks by myself all the time, and now that I think about it it makes me feel a little bit like a loner . I went to Kings Island on Mothers Day and went with two friends, I felt like I annoyed them because I walk pretty fast through the parks as I want to do as much as possible. I had to keep waiting for them to catch up. Plus none of my friends are anywhere near as big of a nerd as me when comes to coasters, they like going once a year and I need more than that.

My next trip in a couple weeks will be by myself to Kings Dominion, Dorney, and Hersheypark, all for the first time.

I don't go to theme parks by myself. IMO the fun of doing these things is the shared experience of doing them with someone. It isn't that I won't go to a park by myself, but if I have a choice, I'm taking a group with me.

I have tossed around the idea of going to SFGAdv alone but luckily have found someone to go with me every time so far this year. Because I live and work in center city Philly I don't drive, so Id have to take the bus up to SFGAdv and what holds me back from going alone is there aren't busses running back and forth all day, just a few up in the morning and a few back to Philly in the evening. I guess I dont like the idea of going up alone and then being stuck there all day til I can get a bus home in the evening. If anyone is ever driving up from Philly (or to any of the other local parks) and is looking for a riding partner hit me up, I'm always down to go if I don't have other plans! Also I need to meet other enthusiasts, my friends think Ive lost my mind lol.

I have done Moreys alone a million times, as my folks live nearby and usually no one wants to ride so I just bike up to the piers, get a few rides in and go back to the 'rents place.

I solo it to parks all the time. Typically, I fly solo to my home park, SFDK. Once the off season hits, I go roughly every other Sunday while my wife looks after the kids. I spend a few hours riding at my leisure. The lines are short, so I get lots of rides in before I leave. I bring my iPod with me and listen to music or podcasts if the lines are at all long. If they're really long, I just go home. I never feel awkward. I'll even be going alone to a couple of parks I've never been to over the summer. Before I go on the Mini East Coast Tour, I'm flying into Virginia a couple of days early to visit Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion. Yeah, I would rather go with someone. But, if the choice is between visiting the parks alone, or not going at all, it's a no-brainer. There are worse things in life than riding Intimidator 305 by yourself. I'm looking forward to my little solo adventure.

I go to parks all the time alone. Coney Island, Six Flags Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, the list keeps on going. I prefer being alone because I can do things on my own schedule without anyone in the group complaining or arguing about what to do next. I still go in groups at times, but I personally like being El Solo.

I felt like I annoyed them because I walk pretty fast through the parks as I want to do as much as possible.

This! My first time going solo to a park was 3 Saturdays ago for opening day at Cedar Point. My friend had to ditch last minute because his job needed him to work. I was nervous going in because I thought I would feel lonely and bored all day but it was the exact opposite! First, I walk at basically at light speed so nobody was slowing me down. Also because I was a single rider I was able to jump into empty spots all day! And the best thing was even without fast lane I got 18 rides on the coasters in one day! Of course some were repeats, but I've never pulled that many off with a group. This past Saturday I went to Cedar Point again for a few hours in the morning before the heavy Saturday crowds got there and got 12 coasters/flat rides in before I left at 1pm. Going solo is the way to go if you're trying to ride everything! Of course I'm still going to go with groups, but going solo is an awesome experience too!

So far this year I have been to Silver Dollar city (2.5 days), Six Flags Great America (2 days and my home park), Holiday World, and Kings Island by myself. I have enjoyed my time immensely.

I will second what a lot of people are saying. I like it because you can do what you want and get instant gratification with out worrying about other people. It can get a little lonely, but I have found that interacting on Twitter really helps with that lonely feeling. If I am at a park I have never been to, I will live tweet my day and interact with people that way. I will also tweet the parks or their PR department and get info that way. I had a great time with Twitter at Holiday World and Kings Island. Both of their PR departments were on top of their Twitter game when I visited. I have also been fortunate that the parks were fairly empty when I went and did not have to wait too long in lines. Kings Island was busy when I went, but I sprung for a Fast Lane + and was able to bypass the waiting with that.

I also enjoy going with people, but as an adult single male, I find it difficult to find friends to go on some of these trips with me. I know that I want to go, so I just go and I am happy that I have taken these trips this year.

I do the parks alone quite a bit. It is nice to not be able to go at your own pace, do everything that you want, not have to wait around for anyone, and think on your own. You can also go when you're available and not wait for someone to go with you. I have recently gotten tired of doing the parks by myself as being alone all the time has gotten old.

I do it quite a lot. In 2012, I took 4 separate trips, and visited 51 theme and/or water parks, all by myself. The longest of the trips was a full 3 and a half weeks, with at least one day where I visited 4 separate parks (not in the same city either)! There's no way I could have done that with anyone else.

A few weeks ago, I did a Dollywood, KD, SFA, BGW trip with a buddy of mine (drove to Dollywood Wed night, and drove home Monday), and by Sunday, I was having to drag him around Busch Gardens. It also didn't help that he didn't really like heights or slow inversions (Volcano was no bueno for him, but he could do i305 because it gets up and down that lift hill so quick). We had fun, but if you're not used to it, it'll wear you out quick.

Last year, I did all the Florida parks (All 4 Disney + both Universal, Fun Spot, Sea World, BGT, plus all the water parks) in 11 days, including driving to FL and back. And I also spent 3.5 days at an industry trade show. And I read all 7 Harry Potter books cover-to-cover. Try doing that with somebody else in tow.

You know... For the past 5 years I have had to go to parks alone. I never minded much. I always loved when there was a single rider line waiting for me. However, now that I am engaged, and I have a roller coaster loving partner it makes for a wonderful feeling knowing I will never have to go to another park alone again. Having my partner to go to parks with is AMAZING!!! I get to share fantastic experiences with someone who loves them as much as I do. So I vote for "No" there is nothing wrong with going to a park alone. But just know... You will not ALWAYS have to go to parks alone!

You know... For the past 5 years I have had to go to parks alone. I never minded much. I always loved when there was a single rider line waiting for me. However, now that I am engaged, and I have a roller coaster loving partner it makes for a wonderful feeling knowing I will never have to go to another park alone again. Having my partner to go to parks with is AMAZING!!! I get to share fantastic experiences with someone who loves them as much as I do. So I vote for "No" there is nothing wrong with going to a park alone. But just know... You will not ALWAYS have to go to parks alone!

Yeah I couldn't see not taking my wife who is more of a thrill seeker than I. There was never an opportunity for me to go to a park by myself. However, when we are at parks, sometimes my wife and I do different things (like when we are at water parks, she usually gets tired of the slides and hangs out in the lazy river sooner than I.) But I don't think I would want to go on a vacation by myself (not that I would hate it, but I wouldn't prefer it.)

• 2 weeks later...

90% of the time I am by myself....my wife is not a coaster enthusiast (although she buys me my Six Flags Season Pass for my Birthday every year...fav gift) and my "weekend" is Mon/Tues when all my other friends are pulling 9-5's....I have no problem going alone. I am not stuck eating when I don't want to eat, going to shows I don't want to see, and waiting for rides that I don't want to go on, or pleading with someone to go on a ride with me.......

I chit chat with various peeps who are in line, I people watch, and I go on what I want to ride when I want to ride.

The only downside is the water-park where they have rides designed for 3 or more peeps......can't go on those.

If you can't be your own best companion, your best companion will be lacking......