TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Africa TR-3/24/10

I was a guest in Florida with another family, who are not the most enthusiastic about big coasters, but enjoy the animals and smaller rides. Therefore-I was surprised when they chose to visit BGA and came with a different mentality.

From all I have heard about the theming and the quality of the BG parks, I have to saw I was a bit dissapointed by BGA. I still had a very good time at BGA, especially since I was not planning on going to the park. There food seems a little more reasonably priced than other parks, and they have great customer service, so I do reccomend the park. From St. Louis, we have a great zoo, so I have to sayI was not all that impressed by the animal exibits. Without seeing out zoo before, I am sure there exibis would have amazed me though. Therefore I can see how some really enjoy the park.

What the park needs is more flats that bridge the "excitement" difference between walking and looking at animals and riding coasters. Currently, I would say they have two attractions (not water oriented) that fit the bill: Rhino Rally and the skyride. The river rapids and the tidal wave were both very good, but especially in the winter, these rides are not of those which you could ride multiple times. I was really looking forward to the Pirates 4D, this would definetly seem like a show which could help bridge the gap-it was closed, which was a big disapointment.

Here is my ridelist:

Gwazi-Lion (2)- middle and back row

Shiekra (2)- second row right outside, front row third from right-husky seat

Kumba (1)-middle row

Montu (1)-middle row

Scorpion (1)- middle row

Wild Mouse (1)

In order to convince my friend to go on these rides, we were not sitting anywhere near the front row. He stood and watched on Shiekra.

Flats:

River Rapid, Flume, Tidal Wave (1 each)

Skyride (2)

Rhino Rally (1)

Bumper Cars (1)

The big attractions we missed were the Phoenix and the Train. It might seem like we didn't do too much in a day (11 30-6 30) but we did alot of walking around and trying to find others in our party, as well as getting to know the park (in some cases it is required to walk quite a distance to get to something just over the fence).

Theming: The only areas I was really impressed with theming were Montu, the Tidal Wave ride, and Timbuktu. The theming was noticable everywhere but these were the only places I would say it stood out. All the ride entrances (Montu, Shiekra, Kumba, Gwazi) were very well done though.

Ride Notes:

Shiekra:

For my second ride, I was alone, and a seat was open in the front row. I didn't realize it was the two seat-belt seat/seat for larger people. I am not so small, but I still had plenty of extra room between my thighs and the armsrests. On other rides and my first on Shiekra, the armbar had safely protected my pocket and kept it nice and closed. This time, since I was in the big seat, when we hung on the drop and inversion, I was very much leaning against the restraint. What do you know? My phone popped out. Good thing it was a crappy phone. The funny thing is I just got a phone call from them that they found my phone. And this means that not only did they find it, its working/they have a SIM card reader. I assume it must be working, which is incredible. It is a very hardy phone, and they called today just now, so I still hold the belief that I lost in on the ride-not in the que, as I would have noticed it drop. Good customer service at BGA

Short ride, but the front row is pretty incredible, as is the view from the top of the ride. It is so much fun to ride, watch and ride again that it gets a:9/10

Kumba:

Not sure how someone could say its better than Kraken. I like the straight/not curved drops better, and other than that, the coasters seem about the same. I liked the tunnel, but Kraken had better elements coming out/underground. 8/10

Montu:

Great ride, even though I didn't ride in the front row, it delivered. I was intense, long and used the terrain well. Bests Patriot and Batman both by a good margin. I couldn't tell if I blacked out for a second on this ride or if my eyes fluttered. 9/10

Scorpion:

The ride itself was smooth, fast, and fun. The cars looked uncomfortable for tall people, as there was little foot room. It was also just placed in a vacant spot, but what do you expect of such a small coaster. 7/10

Gwazi: I rode the one with the station farther from the ride entrance. Was it lion? I think it was. The other side was not open. The first time I rode it I was in the middle, and it was fine, bumpy as expected, but fun. The second time I was at the back, the ride ran faster, I got more air, but it was way too bumpy. I do not think this was just from the sitting in the back however since others on the ride looked sick afterwards, even if they were sitting in the front. It would have been alot more entertaining if it raced. 6/10

Cheetah Chase: 5/10

Rhino Rally:

Though it is somewhat hard to find, this is a great ride and the only animal interaction attraction I was thouroughly impressed by. If you try to block out the guides jokes (I assume every guide tells lame jokes), you will have missed half the fun. The fact that they at one point came up with a corny joke for every 10 feet of the ride is impressive. The water adventure is really something too. Again, the animals did not seem so cool since we were like 100 feet from the path at all times, but the adventure itself was great. I think this was better than the safari ride at AK even if the animal interaction was not as good. 8/10

The tidal wave was good, but if they incorporated a full storyline, it could be very good. The flume was mediocre. The rapids were very good though, one of the top ones I have ever been on. The skyride was also enjoyable. There were way too many bumper cars for the size of the attraction, so that was only ok. They also went slow, which I understand because of the little kids and so many cars, but they were very easy to manuever was was good.

If I go again, I think I will try the water park and more animal activities-Rhino Rally again. Good park, I guess I was just expecting more based on how people rave about BGE.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree BGT needs to Improve themings...but the animal interactions are very cool! Did you not go through Jungala? It is a very well themed area and has one of the best animals interaction. What about Edge of Africa? and Myombe Reserve? Jambo Junction? Those are other great areas to interact with animals. Its sad that you did not do the train ride, for you can really see the rest of the animals in a cool way.

No shows? I think you should go back and bridge yourself the excitement between animal interaction and rides.

At least you liked the coasters!

To be honest the only show that seemed to really apply to Africa was KaTonga, but we did not really fit into our plans. Once I saw the size of the theater, I sort of wished we had though.

Jungala- we saw the tigers but did not go into the Jungle Flyers, Wild Surge and Treetop Trails Area

Edge of Africa- walked through it, it was identicle to the zoo

Myombe Reserve- didnt go through, just saw the alligators near the entrance

Jambo Junction/rest of Nairobi- didn't walk through

Bird Gardens- went through, interesting how the birds would just jump to someones finger

Like I said, it really felt like the Saint Louis Zoo, and with lines so tempting and short at a park I had never been to, my friend and I mostly skimmed the animal sections. And I would really reccomend the Saint Louis Zoo to you, it is free of charge, and has all the animals plus a carousel.

When you say interact with animals, I assume you mean watch them, correct?

^If you're lucky to be there at the right time, they do have a tug of war with some of the tigers in Jungala. I went a couple weeks ago and caught the last two people that had an opportunity to do just that. Also the time before that, I was able to watch the trainers teach one of the younger tigers to pull on the rope. Actually, the whole thing is quite neat.

To be honest the only show that seemed to really apply to Africa was KaTonga, but we did not really fit into our plans. Once I saw the size of the theater, I sort of wished we had though.

Jungala- we saw the tigers but did not go into the Jungle Flyers, Wild Surge and Treetop Trails Area

Edge of Africa- walked through it, it was identicle to the zoo

Myombe Reserve- didnt go through, just saw the alligators near the entrance

Jambo Junction/rest of Nairobi- didn't walk through

Bird Gardens- went through, interesting how the birds would just jump to someones finger

Like I said, it really felt like the Saint Louis Zoo, and with lines so tempting and short at a park I had never been to, my friend and I mostly skimmed the animal sections. And I would really reccomend the Saint Louis Zoo to you, it is free of charge, and has all the animals plus a carousel.

When you say interact with animals, I assume you mean watch them, correct?

By interact I mean, touch, see, etc. In Jambo Junction you are able to touch the flamingos and the zoo keepers can bring out some other reptiles or mammals for you to touch. Also, some zoo keepers interact with the animals and have them do tricks. (elephants, tigers, crocodiles, rhino, etc)

By interact I mean, touch, see, etc. In Jambo Junction you are able to touch the flamingos and the zoo keepers can bring out some other reptiles or mammals for you to touch. Also, some zoo keepers interact with the animals and have them do tricks. (elephants, tigers, crocodiles, rhino, etc)

Thats too bad, I only saw people holding and feeding the birds, which was somewhat entertaining. Now I know for next time (if there is one) that I should be go to sites at the "Meet the Keepers" time they give on the map.

When I first explored the park, I didn't think the theming was up to what everyone says, but then I went a second day and I really enjoyed it and thought everyone was actually really nice and well themed. It grows on you, I guess.

BGT needs to still work on theming some areas. Stanleyville and Congo both need a major face-lift. Some areas have average theming (Timbuktu, Rhino Rally, Nairobi) and the newer ones are pretty nice (Jungala, Sesame, Egypt, Morroco)

We're going tomorrow and hoping to get more coaster laps than the OP. Any idea what peak spring break wait times are like for Sheikra, Montu and Kumba? Thanks!

Judging from today, it was pretty busy. The coaster wait time peaked perhaps around 20-30mins give or take 15 min. (scorpion always gets 30-45 min wait) So Make sure you make it there early to get most of the rides

^Thanks for the forecast. Turned out it was very busy, with lines spilling out extended queues and a peak wait time of 90 minutes for Sheikra. We dished out for the Ultimate Quick Queue passes ($39 before passholder discount). Added up but saved the day.

We managed 2 laps on Kumba (liked Kraken better), 2 on Scorpion (blast from the past), 2 on the mouse, one each on Gwazi Lion and Tiger (jackhammery - once was enough), 5 on Montu (pure awesome), and 7 on Sheikra (yeah, we liked it). Rhino Rally was cornball fun too.

Charming, beautiful park, with delightful animal exhibits. Our favorite park of this trip. Only Universal and IOA to go.