TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

DSLR Camera settings?

CoasterMM

So I got this new neat Nikon DSLR D90. What settings can y'all recommend for coaster photography (like getting a shot at a coaster in motion without the blurriness) and versatile all day camera settings for theme park photography.

Please don't say AUTO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's really no way to answer this question. It all depends on your light, speed of the coaster, what sort of effect you want, the depth of field, your lens, etc. Get a feel for your camera first. Really, I don't think there's a way to answer this. There's no simple "just do this in this situation" answer.

Let's say, bright sunny day all day...shooting steel coasters so average speed 60 mph...wanting to "freeze" the trains mid track or doing an inversion...I have a Nikor 18-200mm lens, no external flash.

I want to take panoramic shots, coaster closeups and family-in-themepark pics.

It's still difficult to judge, man. You just have to learn your camera. To freeze the trains going fast, you'll need a fast shutter speed. Mayby 1/500 or faster. And you'll have to compensate with the aperture, but I don't know what kind of aperture you get with that 18-200. Bump the ISO up and play with the shutter and aperture. But like I said, there's really no way to just say what you need. I can't just say: "Set the shutter at 1/600, F/5.6, ISO 200 at 105 mm."

There's just really no perfect way of saying. Learn your camera. Get a feel for it in lots of settings.

Or try these two "rules": "f/8 and be there." And the "sunny 16" rule, which is when it's sunny, set the F-stop at 16 and your shutter speed around the ISO speed. Say you're shooting at 400 ISO. You'll want it at f/16 and your shutter around 1/400 (probably 1/500).

I don't think that there's a simple answer to this question except....

Try things, test things and get to know your camera.

A setting for one camera might work for another but most likely it will not and as soon as the weather is different.. you're in trouble anyway since the setting will need to be changed again.

Play around, test things and i'm sure you'll have a lot more fun when you get that one magical shot.

Have fun

Reading the manual can overload you with information that covers an extremely broad and usually vague decription (especially for non-experts and non enthusiasts) of your targetted photo shooting.

The reason I posted this here is that I see a lot of great shots here and I can see a lot here know what they're doing. maybe THOSE guys can help.

And since some here are way too "friendly" lemme go ahead and direct the question to those who wanna help out a NOOB.

And FYI haux, I got this camera as a gift. And it is JUST a toy for me. I'm just wanting to learn how to play with it properly.

The reason I posted this here is that I see a lot of great shots here and I can see a lot here know what they're doing. maybe THOSE guys can help.

Hanno already gave you his advice.

Just start using the camera. Play with the settings and see what affect they give.

Or just shoot in auto.

You're asking for a simple answer that we just can't give. That's how it is. I'm sorry you don't want to read your manual and learn how to use your camera.

Reading the manual will only overload you if you read the entire thing in one sitting. Look at the beginning of the manual where it points to every button and dial on the camera. Then go to the index and look up what those arrows point to.

The manual's going to be vague on shooting subjects. It's just going to suggest how to shoot a portrait from 7 feet away. It's going so say what you might want when shooting a close picture of a flower. If you want the manual to give exactly what you want to snap a picture of the female white tiger at the zoo, you're out of luck.

A lot of the great shots you see are from people who have taken a long time to become familiar with their cameras. You can't just jump right in and take amazing photos. You have to learn how to use them before you even get halfway decent with them. Henri Cartier-Bresson, a famous French photographer, said that your first 10,000 photos are your worst. Ten thousand! Yes, it's true. You have to shoot a lot and then some before you can be a decent photographer. It's all trial and error.

But if you want to be stubborn and not read your manual and just get pictures without learning, go ahead. I'll give you some information.

A fast roller coaster in direct sunlight should be shot at f/16, 1/3000, ISO 100 at any distance.

• 2 weeks later...
I must add to this, even though it's kinda late. A lot of places won't let you use a monopod/tripod without prior authorization. You may want to check the rule book/call ahead first.

Really? I would think that a small or big monopod/tripod would be standard equipment for a small or big camera/lens. Are there really places you are not allowed tot use a tripod/monopod?

@CoasterMM

As I am a little older (and like books) I would suggest going to the library. (Of course if you are younger, this will probably be a last resort after internet.)

I myself have checked out different books on the subject. The first was very thin and gave some usefull pointers, but prepared me not at all for the second wich was way over my head. But now I am working my way steadily through 388 pages of how to make better photographs with a DSLR.

If you cannot find what you are looking for? Ask a librarian, they like to help you (mostly) and will do so (probably) very well (hopefully).

But using your new toy takes skill and skill comes from practice and study. So like Hanno said: "read, try and study your camera". It will make you a better photographer.

My personal tip to you would be to read (yes, reading again ) some stuff about composition. That will really make you a better photographer. Even if you use your camera on automatic for the rest of your life.

"A fast roller coaster in direct sunlight should be shot at f/16, 1/3000, ISO 100 at any distance."

Hmmm.. You sure? I would figure at f/16 you may have too shallow depth of field... You may want to try f/22 at the same shutter and ISO. Would get excellent results!

To the original poster, if you really don't want to learn what you need to operate the camera properly, just leave it in Auto... It will be best that way.

If you want to learn how to actually use the camera, read the manual and practice practice practice. Start out in shutter or aperture priority modes and get used to how they work and the results you get from them. Photography is not something your equipment does for you. Even with the best body and lenses you can still take horrible photos.

Your best bet is to start off by throwing it into shutter priority mode (Tv mode on Canon, might be S for Nikon?) and set it to 1/1000, Auto ISO and throw it into Evaluative Metering to start. Try that out and see how they work for you. Once you get comfortable with playing in that mode, throw it into Aperture Priority (Av Mode) and play with the Depth of Field, using Auto ISO for now. Once you are comfortable, then start setting ISO manually and eventually play in Manual mode to see how ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed all work together to create your image. You by then should have good idea what you can do with your camera and how to create compositions you want in your photos.

^^ From the top of my head, I don't know of any theme parks that don't allow them, but i'd always check first.

At Lincolins tomb we werent allowed to. Also at the Museum of Science and Industry it says you can't. from their website:

Yes. Photos and videotapes for personal use may be taken inside the Museum, except in the Omnimax Theater and in certain special exhibits or presentations. Due to safety concerns, tripods are not allowed. Photos, videotapes or audiotapes for any other use require advance notice and the express prior written permission of the Museum's Public Relations Department.

I'd always just call customer relations first and get permission. Better than draggin a tripod with just to find out you cant use it.

I'm not certain, but I've heard that the Cedar Fair parks do not allow tripods (including smaller ones like the Gorillapod) while places like Disney allow them. I do have a small pocket sized tripod that I can place on top of something like a fence or a trash can, which worked well for night shots even when I only had a simple point and shoot.

I've also heard of people making "tripods" using string and weight (or something to stand on). It's not as effective as a proper tripod, but it supposedly provides decent stability.

• 2 weeks later...

Learn how to use your camera, first. Then learn what shutter speed, ISO, and your apeture settings do.

Things to know-

-An apeture number like 4.0 will make a more shallow depth of field (less in focus) and let more light in. An apeture number like f/16 will let less light in, but will make a deeper depth of field (more in focus) The combination of these three will expose your photo

-ISO bumps the light up, the higher the number. But be aware that the higher you go, the quality of your photo goes down. Especially with long exposure times (shutter speed) Usually people use a higher ISO to get faster shutter speeds if it's too dark, or the opposite if it's too bright

Idk I could go on but I have a feeling you're gonna read half of this and then decide to give up and just use auto -_-

• 2 years later...

A few months ago I replaced my compact camera which unfortunately got damaged so decided to get a DSLR. Been practicing with it a lot and trying to learn all it's functions and pretty much get to know it inside out. I have taken it along to several parks over the past few months and have gained various results. Nothing amazing but I guess it's all part of the learning process.

The difficulties I have encountered so far are backlist subjects, especially coasters against a bright sky (train and riders are all in shadow). Need more practice here. Each time I encounter this situation I try different techniques but this one is proving a bit hard for me to master currently and also shots in dark areas but I know that is an entirely different ballgame!

I will have to post some of my better results sometime on here.