TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your Biggest Coaster/Theme Park Related Geek Out Moments

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "educational" tour I arranged for the IT students at my college.

I got to see Iron Dragon's PLC* and got in Top Thrill Dragster's computer room! Dragster was broke, I touched it, and FIXED!

*Programmable logic controller (PLC) is a digital computer used for automation of electromechanical processes, such as control of machinery on factory assembly lines, amusement rides, or lighting fixtures.

Because of my job I have been lucky to meet a lot of great people in the industry, take home some cool coaster parts, blueprints, etc and end up in the coolest of locations (tops of lifts, bottoms of drops). But my biggest geek out would actually be 1) Meeting Marty Sklar at IAAPA and 2) Meeting Ron Toomer and discussing of all things, roller coasters!

Edited by 99er

Yesterday during WCB. Me and my friends had an awesome time walking under Goliath and seeing the motor for the lift and all the oil and lube and stuff like that for the lift. It was also awesome to stand by the drop and helix. Notable mention goes to skipping a train on Terminator for the TPR audio train, which was awesome. YAY NO PRESHOW! Also, it was my first GCI!

A couple of years ago, I checked Peter Schnabel of Premier Rides into a hotel that I was working at the time.

He had arrived early than he expected and we had a great conversation for about twenty minutes about his work with Intamin and Premier.

He was very candid with me, shared plans for the proposed Pepsi Ferris Wheel at Xanadu (that I eventually tipped off to Screamscape), talked about Great Adventure's removal of Chiller, he mentioned a prototype Speed coaster that they were working on that would've blown Kingda Ka's record out of the water, and all sorts of other coaster type things.

I was especially impressed with him asking me what I liked about Premier's products, what I didn't like, and he admitted that talking with enthusiasts and park goers is something he's always loved to do but never really made much of an effort to see things from "the other side".

When he checked out the next morning, he left behind a Premier Rides product kit with all sorts of brouchers and flyers, concept artwork for the Pepsi Ferris Wheel, a business card, and a personal thank you note for recognizing him and for my feedback.

Premier Rides headquarters is literally about three miles from my house. I've always wanted to call him up and say "hey" but figured he was a busy guy and didn't have a lot of time for that sort of thing.

I was coaster-geeking-out big time, like I had just seen a celebrity or something for hours after our conversation.

My biggest geek out moment would be last summer, at Six Flags St. Louis... It was found out that the Twisted Twin trains were at the park and I was on a hunt to find them, and then on Batman, after an element i saw them under the station and i sat there yelling "TWISTED TWIN TRAINS! TWISTED TWIN TRAINS" It was funny.

Meh, I haven't had too many. One I can remember was when I was in line for Fahrenheit, I was totally geeking out to the people in front me. I was talking about the beyond 90 degree drop and everything! But hey, they started it.

when i realized i was a "fan" of bud hurlbut, did you know the train at the santa ana zoo is actually from santas village and bud helped to refurbish it for the zoo, i took a picture of the plaque with his name on it, that geeky enough, i think so

In college one of our assignments in my Speech class was to give an informative speech.

Same here, but I did mine about coasters' safety in general. In the end I asked if anyone had any questions and not-so-surprisingly someone asked about Final Destination 3. Of course I told them that's pure fiction.

My biggest moment was riding the wonderful Knoebel's Phoenix 40x in one day from 10 am-8 pm non-stop! Also some backstage stuff on my 3 TPR trips like the Behemoth photo shoot, Curse Of Dark Kastle behind the scenes, & Revenge Of The Mummy in Hollywood behind the scenes! Also when I worked at Clementon Park when the train stopped on the lift I got to walk up to the top which I thought was awesome because you can see Philly from the top!

I got one... I think it was either 2003 or 2004 when Greezed Lightnin at SFKK was down, since I knew it broke down every 30 minutes anyway, I waited in line while everybody else left! When maintenance arrived, they tinkered at the control panel for a moment. I was in line for the rear so I was watching him and he looked up and asked me "do you live in the little carrot house in the kids area cause I SWEAR I SEE YOU HERE EVERY DAY!!!"

Doctor "biggest geek ever" Doom!!!

Mine was while I was working at Everest in Animal Kingdom, they were doing some filming one day for something and Joe Rhode was there and rode in the back right where I was checking lap bars. Had a quick conversation with him about the steam that billows out from under the train when it rolls into the station, kinda cool, to me atleast.

My biggest geek out moment was when I had to do a reasearch project and did it on Soarin, I got to send a list of questions to Mark Sumner and then he answered them for me. I also presented the powerpoint and then had a video of the ride for the class