TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point Job Advice Needed

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the housing advice. I heard a lot about how much better Commons is than Cedars. I'm just a bit curious, but which facility is the one you see when you pass the Breakers Express?

While Cedars was no Ritz Carlton by any means, the convenience was amazing, except for the fact the our room was directly across the road from the Wildcat. Gotta love morning testing LMAO!! The only downfall to it was lack of cooking abilities.

Not really that important but it will help get you through the day. Make jokes on the ride spiels, but don't get too carried away with it. A bit of humour makes everything easier. Got any jokes you're going to use?

And yes, answering repetitive questions is definately part of working at any theme park. I know from my experiance last year even though it was just as a sweeper.

The best advice I can give; reiterating what Erik said... You'll NEED ALL of the jackets and rain suits they sell. Hope you like wearing short shorts with very shallow pockets. Um also just remember to keep relaxed. I worked on Raptor and I had a blast. Like was said before take advantage of filling in on other rides. It's fun to learn to operate different ones. Besides working at Raptor I also briefly filled in at Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, Calypso, Turnpike Cars, Giant Wheel, Troika, and Space Spiral. Hope you have fun and take advantage of the free employee cookouts and the employee ride nights!

Tom

While I have never worked in a park nor do I know what Cedar Fair requires for appropriate footwear, I have worked several large scale events and I always go for Vans tennis shoes when working these events.

Just whatever footwear you do decide on being the best option for you, break it in before you start working.

I just bought my first pair of Under Armour ankle socks last week and they are hands down the most comfortable pair of socks I've ever worn. $12 for two pairs of socks but OMG they are unbelievably comfortable.

I disagree wholesale on the theory about buying nice shoes. They're just going to get torn to shreds. Every year I've worked at a park I've just bought cheap shoes for no more than $20. Typically they're comfortable enough and it doesn't feel like a waste of money when they fall apart in 2 months. I'd rather have $20 shoes fall apart than $90 shoes.

$20 Walmart shoes every two weeks or $60 New Balance that lasted me three months (I worked Thunder Canyon and Magnum, so running was a necessity) and were significantly more comfortable.

That's just my past experience though.

I bought $22 wardrobe shoes at the beginning of each summer at CP and they each lasted all summer, and last year I had to get two pairs of shoes to make it through the summer, but they were both about $14 from Wal Mart. And I'm about as tough on shoes as they come.

While I have never worked in a park nor do I know what Cedar Fair requires for appropriate footwear, I have worked several large scale events and I always go for Vans tennis shoes when working these events.

Just whatever footwear you do decide on being the best option for you, break it in before you start working.

I just bought my first pair of Under Armour ankle socks last week and they are hands down the most comfortable pair of socks I've ever worn. $12 for two pairs of socks but OMG they are unbelievably comfortable.

I usually wear Vans myself, but just the normal college walking has worn both of my pairs out. They're just too expensive and they've never really lasted for me.

By expensive shoes, we don't mean nice shoes, we mean durable shoes. Obviously any shoes you wear to work are going to go through a lot. Just don't expect them to stay nice and shiny, but you want to wear shoes that are going to be be durable and not literally fall apart like I've seen so many employees wearing. As a ride operator, you're going to need to wear shoes that are at least 90% white.

If you get to the park and are moved to a different ride than what is on your employment agreement, don't panic. Even without asking to be moved, almost all ride operators get to work more than one ride eventually. If you make it clear to your supervisors and managers that you are interested in moving to a different ride, they're going to do their best to make it happen. If you do a good job at the ride you get placed at, you'll be even more likely to get to move to a different location. It is totally unrealistic to go there only wanting to work one specific ride and say you'll quit if you don't get your way. That's not how the world works.

First, I would like to Welcome you to the team! You are on your way to possibly the most exciting summer of your life full of fun, games, hard work and new long lasting friendships! Cedar Point literally provides you with the work experience for literally everything, as long as you treat your job with the respect it deserves. I cant tell you how many times I have brought up Cedar Point as a reference in an interview for a job to answer questions. This year will be my Third season with the park, where I will be the Team Leader in Area One Sweeps, yes Sweeps. See, little does many people know, the Sweep division is actually managed by those who manage the rides in the park. The previous years I did my time on the coasters, carousels and kiddie rides... I was Assistant Team Leader on Raptor last year and had the best summer of my life, thats for sure.

If I had to give any advice it would be to be willing to do almost anything for the people you work with and don't complain. The easiest and best way to gain respect from your managers, supervisors and leadership team is to not complain and do the job they ask you to do. If they ask you to be a Sweep for the week, give it a try... you may actually enjoy the break from the ride. If there is a months worth of chewing cum that is in need of disposal, get the job done with no questions asked. Cleaning without being asked is one of my favorite things to see as a leader, which in turn makes me pass the word along to my manager on your good work ethnic. If you become well respected the more likely you are to move up within the company if you plan on returning, or even they will at least accept some of your requests like time of and cross-training on your favorite ride.

Also, another word of advice... Your crew will become your family. Once you get to know each other and tolerate being around each other your crew eventually just becomes your family. I for one liked going to work on a daily basis just so I could see my "Family" at the ride, made it feel a lot less like a job and more like a home. Get close with your crew and it won't feel like work or just a job, it will feel like a whole lot more.

I usually wear Vans myself, but just the normal college walking has worn both of my pairs out. They're just too expensive and they've never really lasted for me.

Really?

I've never paid more than $30 for a pair of Vans though I usually buy them directly from a Vans store and not another retailer.

The majority of my large scale events have been on blacktop pavement and I think they're pretty durable. I can usually get one to one and one half years per pair of shoes from Vans.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

This summer is going to be my first year working at Cedar Point too. I'm assigned to Blue Streak and I'm super excited, and I really look forward to getting to meet all of you!

I have a quick question as to what kind of food is offered in the rec center. I've heard they have a Subway, but is that all? I'm just hoping to try to eat a little more healthy than just park food or McDonalds or something all the time. Hah...

Back when I worked there, the stuff in the rec center was pretty much the same that you'd find in the cafeteria, just a lot more limited of a selection, but both of those are essentially the same food you'll see in the park. They didn't have Subway in the rec center back then, but that was also 2007.

My suggestion? Buy a mini fridge and buy your own food at Meijer to eat. That way you can pack your lunches and eat your own breakfast/dinner. It's also really handy for freezing your water bottle every night before you go to work in the morning.

There are taxis you can call or Blue Thunder, which is CP transit system for the employees. Not only are they for transit to and from the point for commons but they make runs to and from downtown Sandusky or the shops along rt 250. But my advice is to become good friends with people who have a car.