TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood questions

Hi guys! I'll be at SFMM on Saturday for WCB. On Friday though, I was thinking of trying to do both Knott's and USH in the same day and wondering if it was feasible (I've been to Knott's before, but not USH).

My plan was to hit Knott's at opening, ride 5 of the coasters and Supreme Scream and exit by noon.

Then HOPEFULLY arrive at USH by 2:00, and (with the "front of the line" pass) ride the studio tram tour, Simpsons, Mummy and Jurassic Park, as well as see Terminator 3-D, Backdraft and maybe the Waterworld show. The park closes at 6:00, hence why I think I'd need the FOTL ticket to do all that.

I know it's rushed, but does that sound doable? Is 2 hours enough time to get from Knott's to USH on Friday mid-day? Does anyone know how often and late into the day the studio tram tour runs? I'd prefer to save one of these parks for Sunday, but I don't think my girlfriend (a non-experienced park hopper) will be able to handle another theme park after the LONG SFMM day.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do it without the front of the line pass. But you may have to choose which show is more important to you Terminator or Waterworld because I don't think you will be able to see both show and do the tram tour in less than 4 hours even with front of the line pass.

I went there this past Saturday and was able to do Jurassic Park twice, Mummy four times, and Simpson once in less than an 2 hours. And from my experience it is very rare for any of the shows to be crowded enough where you have to wait for another showing.

Just make sure you go strait to the back-lot tour as soon as you can. It usually closes 2 hours ahead of scheduled park closing.

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

Yes, that is possible to make that commute during mid day.

USH is actually more relaxing than exciting actually. Especially compared to Magic Mountain or Knotts. And it can be a 1/2 day park especially with few lines or the pass. Most of the park is a sit down / show experience. Really, it's only the Mummy and Jurrasic Park which even qualify as thrill rides. Not sure about the timing of the tour, but they do run it fairly close to closing time. Would definately ask upon arrival when the last one departs.

I would recommend the front of the line pass. It's discounted after 2PM as it is, plus some schools are already on spring break. Combine that with the nice weather and all the deals floating around (buy a day, get the year free w/ no blackout dates for locals and free admission for California school employees until the end of the month), and it makes for a busier than normal weekday!

Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys!

Not having been to USH before, I was mainly concerned with how they operate the place, i.e., do they have show times and run rides right up until 6 p.m. closing or do they start tapering things off earlier. Doesn't help that they don't list any show times on their site.

Sounds like 4 hours will be tight and I'll definitely need to prioritize.

^The lower lot closes 1/2 hour before the park is closed, and the rides down there remain open until 15 minutes prior to park closing.

Special FX stages will probably have its last show at 5:00, and Backdraft's last show will be 5:30. I'd say you don't want to miss those since they will be closing whenever Transformers construction starts!

WaterWorld's last show will most likely be at 4:00, and T2's not until 5 or 5:30.

The Tour will close @ 4:15.

If you can actually make it by 2:00 (which you should, barring any major accidents), with the front of the line pass you'll be fine.

^The lower lot closes 1/2 hour before the park is closed, and the rides down there remain open until 15 minutes prior to park closing.

Special FX stages will probably have its last show at 5:00, and Backdraft's last show will be 5:30. I'd say you don't want to miss those since they will be closing whenever Transformers construction starts!

WaterWorld's last show will most likely be at 4:00, and T2's not until 5 or 5:30.

The Tour will close @ 4:15.

If you can actually make it by 2:00 (which you should, barring any major accidents), with the front of the line pass you'll be fine.

Thanks, that's very helpful information!

I assume the tram tour departs fairly often and you board it on the upper level?

My recomendation be there at 10 when it opens and go straight to the Studio Tour even with a front of the line pass you will still wait a while during the day because it is so popular. With a front of the line pass the wait for Simpsons will be about 10 min for all the preshow videos and stuff. Then make sure to go to the lower lot early because the crowds and wait times usually don't get too bad until about 1:00 or 2:00 down there. Of course only if you change you mind for an all day trip.

Other notes with the show times is that depending on crowd levels they will add shows to shrek, terminator, and waterworld. I was just there a 2 months ago and they had waterworld scheduled for 1:00 and 4:00 but then they had added a 3:30 show due to large capacity on that day. And leave more time from what is said on the schedule for show lengths. Because if the Terminator show starts at say 2:00 you won't get out until 2:30 rather than the 20 min it says in the schedule. And it takes about 10 min to go down or up the escalators from the upper and lower lots. With a brisk walk it takes about 15 mins to go from Backdraft to Waterworld. (thats without running up the steps on the escalators)

One thing that is annoying about universal's website is that they don't give show times unlike disney either thought they have more shows.

BTW hope you have fun on your first visit to Universal Studios Hollywood.

If you get in your car and leave knotts at noon about 70% of the time you should be parking at universal by 1:00. Of course southern california traffic is very hard to predict.

With FOTL The studio tour should take you 1 hour or an hour and 15 min for the tour + wait. Jurassic and Mummy each should be 15 min total at the MOST for ride + wait. (could vary based if they have both loading platforms open). Backdraft about a 20 - 25 min (it runs continuous on weekends). For the end of day Waterworld at 4, get out at 4:30 then Terminator should have a show at 5 and you will get out at 5:30. Then head over to simpson's for the end because it think it is the only attraction open until the end of the day, so don't waste your time by going on it earlier. Remember 10 mins for the escalators both ways.

So I think it is possible to do the main attractions in that short amount of time. Personally being your first visit I think its better to do a whole day trip there so you can enjoy the scenery and movie props around the park.

You should make Backdraft your top priority. I have seen it 15 times and it still makes me jump. For being the your first time it will make you wonder why are they taking it out. Because your sense of danger while watching it is at it's highest because you are literly 5 - 10 feet away from the pyrotechnics.

So I think it is possible to do the main attractions in that short amount of time. Personally being your first visit I think its better to do a whole day trip there so you can enjoy the scenery and movie props around the park.

You should make Backdraft your top priority. I have seen it 15 times and it still makes me jump. For being the your first time it will make you wonder why are they taking it out. Because your sense of danger while watching it is at it's highest because you are literly 5 - 10 feet away from the pyrotechnics.

Thanks a bunch, gforce! I had wondered about Backdraft actually and whether it was worth the time (I do like fire!).

Turns out my plans have changed and I will likely be at USH the early part of the day (skipping Knotts since I've been there previously and no Xcel), so I should be able to make it around to everything. Thanks again for all the pointers, they'll definitely come in handy.

If you are getting there earlier, you might want to consider the VIP tour or "privately guided tour". The VIP tour is expensive, but includes the 2hr long tour where you actually get to get out and walk around various areas of the backlot, includes a really good buffet lunch, and a guide that walks you around everywhere. The "privately guided tour" is just the backlot portion of the VIP tour, and also less costly.

^^

I did the VIP tour last year when I was in town for WCB. I absolutely loved it. The private tours are awesome. I'm not sure if the show "Life" is on anymore, but they took us onto the set. The food was great, it was a buffet and had some very well prepared dishes. I believe last year I paid 199 pp. It looks as its is up to 239pp now. IMO, it is totally worth the money for the experience.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/ticket_vip.html

Seems like getting from one park to the other will be the pain. I'd be surprised if you can do that in an hour. Hopefully Knotts will be empty because there is quite a lot to do there, even with Xcelerator down.

I was at universal in October and the place was packed, but the lines were still fairly short. Jurassic and Mummy were walk-ons, and any other wait we had was due to (I assume) trimmed-back operations. Getting in was a nightmare -- that took 45 minutes to move about 30 feet from the big globe to the gates, but I think that's because we arrived at rush hour!

The advantage is that the place is very small and there isn't a whole lot there -- we were done in about 4 hours including lunch, shopping, and about 7,000 bathroom breaks (big group).

Don't forget the haunted walk-through thing -- that was kind of fun!

• 1 year later...