TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Paramount may build theme park in Murcia, Spain

Quite a lot is expected of this theme park, and it's easy to see why when there has been so much invested in it.

- For one, it will be the largest Theme park in the whole of Europe, but it also has it's own dedicated rail link to the the new airport at Corvera (Still under construction) and a number of new Motorways to link it to other areas of Murcia. Building work is currently way ahead of schedule, and it is rumoured to be open for the summer season of 2014.

These guys here seem to have their finger on the pulse >> http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/3434-which-airlines-will-fly-into-corvera-airport.html

I'm glad to see a new park in Spain- even if it's a Paramount Park- but I think the airport will be like many of these in Europe- a total and complete bust. Three airports in that region is -ridiculous- as you're not looking at a metro area with a populous that big to support it- tourists or not. I'd be interested to see if Paramount tries to lure people to the park with free charters and use the new field to do so. Otherwise, I think they'll be using the other airports surrounding... especially Alicante.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plans depicted look so much bigger than whatever Paramount did to the US parks.

Even though a lot of the supposed rides seem like recycled ideas from the US parks (outside of the kiddie land), if Paramount can pull this off better than what they did with the stateside parks, I'll be impressed. I'm kinda surprised that this park isn't using the Nickelodeon/Hanna Barbara licenses that the US parks had for the longest time.

In the meantime, with this and the supposed Ferrari World Europe in the works, things are getting interesting for that section of Europe.

Im glad to see a new park in Spain- even if it's a Paramount Park- but I think the airport will be like many of these in Europe- a total and complete bust. Three airports in that region is -ridiculous- as you're not looking at a metro area with a populous that big to support it- tourists or not. I'd be interested to see if Paramount tries to lure people to the park with free charters and use the new field to do so. Otherwise, I think they'll be using the other airports surrounding... especially Alicante.

It's a good point that you make : only 19 of Spain's 42 airports currently make a a profit, however, Murcia's Corvera airport will be privately managed by the region as opposed to the AENA national operator, which means that they should be able to work with a greater degree of flexibility and more competetively.

Interestingly, even before the Park has opened it has already attracted a great deal of interest from investors concerning a phase 2 / extension to the park >> http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/3423-paramount-theme-park-and-corvera-airport-to-exceed-2-bln-investment.html

^^

The impressive range of facilities, together with links to the region's motorway network, having a dedicated link to the country's AVE high speed rail network, and excellent connections to the regions new Corvera International airport (to open by 2012) have prompted Paramount Executives together with the regions Tourist board to forecast as many as 5 million visitors coming to the park every year

Gotta say I'm pretty sceptical about those forecasts.

By comparison, Port Aventura, located south of Barcelona, looks set to fall victim to the success of the new Park

How about first have the park built before calling it a success?

So what does this mean for the Port Aventura theme park?

The general opinion of regular contributors on the themeparkreview.com forum is that the outlook is bleak. The community of theme park enthusiasts believe that the park has had it's day and that it would require a significant investment to make Port Aventura attractive to tourists and Business delegates once again.

Say what? Where?

I would rather say after reading this thread that the general TPR opinion are pretty sceptical.

We've seen some new parks lately and I can't think of any having a real success excepts for some of the chinese parks perhaps.

Who wrote the article because it sounds pretty biased to me...

Biased indeed. The park is years from being complete. Opening a new park is always a risky move. Just look at Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park. It looked like a win/win idea. Build a park with the world known Hard Rock brand in a large tourist area... and it failed. Its not easy to predict these things. And if it does indeed take off and become a huge success, then good for it. But what does it have to do with Port Aventura? Sure, there attendance may take a slight hit in the first year the Paramount park is open, but calling it the end of Port Aventura is extremely presumptive. Where does it say that only one theme park can thrive in any given area? Its almost 5 hours driving distance, over 320 miles, between the parks alone... there are many large thriving parks all around the world with closer proximity to each other then that.

They are talking about multiple hotels, malls, restaurants, bars as well. That's a pretty ambitious project to say the least. To me, it sounds like they are going for the Paramount version of Universal Studios. That's an awful big risk.

• 4 weeks later...
They are talking about multiple hotels, malls, restaurants, bars as well. That's a pretty ambitious project to say the least. To me, it sounds like they are going for the Paramount version of Universal Studios. That's an awful big risk.

Big Risk ? They are already seeking funding for extending already 100 Hectare site - Even before the original park has opened.

What's more, the Arab Investment Forum is being flown in to a local hotel where they will be seduced into parking with their hard-earned cash and pay for this phase II. These guys aren't stupid and would hardly be likely to do so if there was a risk that Phase I wouldn't get off the ground - the opening date has already been brought forward by 6 months due to work being ahead of schedule ! >> http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/3596-new-date-set-for-arab-investment-forum-in-murcia.html

^ It is a big risk. Anytime you open a new park, no matter how well thought out and planned, you are taking a risk. Yes, the park has the Paramount name the is known worldwide. But look at the state of the worldwide economy. Things aren't exactly great. It seems to me (and I could be wrong, this is just my opinion) they are planning it as a big resort in vain of the Disney and Universal parks and resorts that are world known and very popular. Opening a new resort in this economy, while competing to make a name for itself is a risk. It doesn't matter how many investors you have. That doesn't equal success.

Now I may sound a little against this park, which is far from the truth. I'm very excited to see what Paramount comes up with and if I could have it my way I would be there opening day. I thinks it's just way premature to say it will be a sure fire success when it opens. We all will have to wait and see!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Michael Bartok from Paramount Pictures to attend final meeting in Madrid on Tuesday for final official presentation of Paramount Murcia Project >> http://tinyurl.com/6fk2rqr

After spending 21 years working in the entertainment business, I can tell you that it's not "final" until the park opens. If I had a Euro for every "final" version of a contract, design document, concept art, schedule, budget, etc, I saw in my career, I'd be a billionaire.

I'll believe in this park when it opens.

Hello everybody!

I´m new in this forum, well, not actually new, I´ve been reading you for a few years. I love your reports and all the theme park´s news that you bring to us.

I decided to write this time because I guess I´m affected with this new park to be built in Murcia, I just live a few miles away. I would love to have this park open any time in the coming years, but as Bob said it just a project and needs tons of euros to be built, and the situation in my region is very bad, well in the whole world...Also I belong to the tourism industry and having a park like this will bring a lot of potential to the area, but from now we have to relax and see what is their next movement.

When you see a beautiful park like Terra Mitica, that´s only 100 miles away going through bankruptcy nearly every year I always ask myself if it will be a good idea to do the same here...

Have a good weekend everybody!

I'll believe in this park when it opens.

I was thinking the exact same thing, especially since Paramount wanted out of the amusement park business a few years ago and they even had a park in Spain already. I would love to see this thing built and be successful, but I'm very skeptical of it - and this is coming from someone who has relatives in Spain and has been to Spain several times. I've also been through Murcia (in a car on a freeway/tollway) and it is one of the least touristy areas of Spain. Murcia is a working class, industrial city if I recall with rural areas surrounding it. Granada is a lot more touristy and picturesque, Sevilla and Valencia have a lot more population, and Benidorm is full of tourists from other parts of Europe.

This studios park may have been more believable if Paramount would have held on to their Benidorm park and would have expanded/transformed/added on to it. Also if they would have chosen Granada, it would been more feasible/believable as Granada already has the historic Alhambra and Generalife, is a very scenic and lively city, and has Spain's Sierra Nevada mountains in the background with winter skiing. This so-called proposed park could be year-round in Granada complementing what Granada already offers. Plus it would give me another excuse to go back to Granada.

I think Port Aventura will always be Spain's biggest park destination: Spain's Europa Park, Alton Towers, Disneyland, or whatever you want to call it. At one point it actually was Spain's Universal Studios. I was so excited when Universal took over Port Aventura and branded the whole place as Universal Mediterrea, because I thought it meant they would eventually add a Studios Park, making Port Aventura the "Islands of Adventure". Of course this never happened, and Universal dropped out of Port Aventura for whatever reasons. Universal did add some hotels and a water park (which is nice, but lacking on the slides) and the current owners of PA are continuing to invest and add new attractions to the park. Though I don't think Spain will see another mega-park resort for years especially after Universal gave up their chance to operate the biggest one in Spain.

If this becomes a reality, the atmosphere will certainly blow 90% of the rest of the world's parks out of the water. It looks like they really want to create a legitimate theme park here, and ditch the generic vibes that come from all the American properties.

And from the looks at it, they're looking at a Vekoma roller-skater for the Woodland area, a Vekoma mine train for the Rango area, and an Intamin accelerator (aerial layout they give shows the same layout as Superman at Movie World in Australia) for the Future area. And a whole slew of other highly-themed attractions!

With the state of the world economy it's refreshing to see somebody take on a project this big. And although I am surprised to see Paramount getting back in the game, I respect them for doing so. This project looks promising, but 2015 is still a long way off. A lot can change.

With the state of the world economy it's refreshing to see somebody take on a project this big. And although I am surprised to see Paramount getting back in the game, I respect them for doing so. This project looks promising, but 2015 is still a long way off. A lot can change.

Paramount does not put money or manage the park .... Paramount has sold a license only and designed the park .... anything else, so that Paramount does not risk anything.

Those who put money are Santa Monica Financial and capture new investors. And the park manager will "Parques Reunidos".