TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Hyper restraint/lapbar system

Please let me know if there's any logic behind this. How come mostly all other coaster types including B&M inverts, all have seatsbelts within their restraint system other than hypers.... e.g. Nitro, Diamondback, Apollo, Intimidator,etc. Is it because there's no loops, cause your weight from the airtime and +gs can always add pressure to the lapbar. Dosen't the seatbealts on all the other coaster type suppose to add extra safety, just in case the restaint or lapbar may "pop" open during the ride? By saying that, what if the lap bar "pops" open during your ride on a hyper...your just *hit out of luck with no seatbelt to back it up. I know the chances are very very slim, but I'm just saying. That has been in the back of my mind a few times while riding hypers. Or does it all depends on the park? Cause I've notived at KD they have added seatbelts to mostly every restaint on their coaster

and other rides including blueridge. So if KD was to ever get a Hyper, would they add seatbelts to it?

So I'm I the only one that has questioned this about Hypers and has anyone else felt a tad bit "unsafe" while riding 'em?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I suspect you're asking about the belt that you have to fasten on B&M inverted coasters, floorless, standup, etc. Those belts are not meant to act as an additional means of securing the bar, but rather to ensure that it is down far enough to keep you safe. If the belt can't be fastened, then you can't ride (or have to be moved to a "big boy" seat that some coasters have).

Eric

I'm actually glad for the seatbelts B&M loopers because of one experience I had on Vortex at California's Great America. Me and my cousin were just going on another ride on Vortex. When we got on and the ride-op locked the seats the seats were locked, but the restraint wasn't. Both of our restraints were loose! We told the restraint checker that these restraints were loose, but he said, "It's alright... don't worry about it." So the ride started with the restraints loose and the only thing holding us in were the seatbelts. It was one of the scariest rides of my life. Thank God for those seatbelts!

I vaguely remember reading something about B&M hyper restraints having 2 ratchets as a fail-safe to prevent the restraint from coming loose. Can anyone back me up on this?

Yes, they do. Also there are sensors on each lapbar that tell the computer whether or not it's down far enough.

I'm actually glad for the seatbelts B&M loopers because of one experience I had on Vortex at California's Great America. Me and my cousin were just going on another ride on Vortex. When we got on and the ride-op locked the seats the seats were locked, but the restraint wasn't. Both of our restraints were loose! We told the restraint checker that these restraints were loose, but he said, "It's alright... don't worry about it." So the ride started with the restraints loose and the only thing holding us in were the seatbelts. It was one of the scariest rides of my life. Thank God for those seatbelts!

Just because the harness was loose, doesn't mean you're going to fall out. I have been on countless coasters and other rides where the harness was not where I wanted it to lock. Did I think the ride was unsafe because of that? No.

I think the idea behind the seat belts is to make sure there isn't any chance of someone sliding out through the area between the harness and the seat nub. Besides that I don't see a reason for them. Most B&M coasters that have inversions keep you against the back of the seat for most of the ride. It's nice knowing that there's no way that restraint will go up during the ride.

^To be blatantly honest, none. It's just a backup restraint in case (heaven forbid) the lapbar fails. As has already been stated by a couple others, most trains with ratcheting lapbars have a two-ratchet system in case one fails, but unless I'm mistaken, PTC trains only have a one-ratchet system. Meaning you need a backup restraint, which are the seatbelts.

Those belts are not meant to act as an additional means of securing the bar

Trust me, sometimes they are!

B&M Stand-ups restraints are composed to two parts that can independent of each other, The vertical movement of the "bicycle seats" and the over the shoulder harness. When he said don't worry about it, it probably meant the harness' were not locked yet. I have trouble believing both you and your cousin's harness were both unlocked throughout the course of the ride though.

I vaguely remember reading something about B&M hyper restraints having 2 ratchets as a fail-safe to prevent the restraint from coming loose. Can anyone back me up on this?

Yes, they do. Also there are sensors on each lapbar that tell the computer whether or not it's down far enough.

Perhaps on the hypers (not sure about that though), but that's definitely not the case on the inverts and stand-ups.

I very very much doubt that the seatbeat was the only thing holding you in! B&Ms trains refuse to leave the station unless every harness is locked safely. Infact the cause of alot of breakdowns is the computer thinking a restraint isn't locked when it is. They do rattle and are loose sometimes, but there's no chance of it failing. There's not been one incident of a B&M restraint failing in the good 20 years they've been about.

B&M actually had a seatbelt on the early Megacoasters, atleast Silver Star and Nitro have had them. They worked by having a ring attached to a wire that came put from one of the armrests which you hitched on to a little peg on the side of the restraint bit. I guess that they were removed due to that they weren't really necessary and take a bit of time to check + plus that they didn't fasten properly (pretty loose connection).

Check the image and text on: http://www.coastergallery.com/1999/GA67.html for more info...

The only three B&M Hypers I've ridden are Goliath (SFOG), Raging Bull, and Diamondback; none of which have seat belts. Every other B&M I have ridden has had seat belts, well except the flyers. So I think on hypers, seat belts aren't required (but can be added, Nitro). But on all other B&Ms, they are now required.

In 2008 Kings Island added seat belts to just about every single ride. Vortex got them, Top Gun got them, even Beastie got them! I really don't think they should be needed, they all did fine before they were added. The only rides I think should need them are Drop Zone, Shake Rattle & Roll (Troika), Zephyr (Chair swings), Dodgems, and maybe Monster? I'm actually surprised Cedar Fair hasn't added seat belts to Eiffel Tower!

Hello, I work at Diamondback.

Diamondback's/B&M's restraint system is amazing. When you pull the clamshell/lap bar down, you can hear little clicks. On Diamondback, I believe there's about 10 or so before the lap bar goes from open to all the way closed. At Kings Island, you need, "Three clicks" in order to ride. On the control panel in the drive box, the computer will show a red light for any seat that doesn't have a locked lap bar; the train can NOT leave the station like this. Once every lap bar is put down three clicks or more, then the train is okay for dispatch. I'm not sure what other parks do (I forget what they did at SFOG), but that was a decision made by B&M and Kings Island. (and probably the state safety officials)

B&M's don't have seatbelts because, well, they don't need them! They're perfect when it comes to safety. Believe me, I've tried getting out of the seat when the clamshell was pushed down three clicks....not even Harry Houdini would be able to get out of there!

And ofcouse, they are lap bars, so rule is the restraint will be resting on your lap when you come to ride Diamondback! B&M's speed coasters are amazingly comfortable, give you so much space for yourself to enjoy the ride...it's like nothing else.

-Zach

B&M's don't have seatbelts because, well, they don't need them! They're perfect when it comes to safety. Believe me, I've tried getting out of the seat when the clamshell was pushed down three clicks....not even Harry Houdini would be able to get out of there!

-Zach

I'm sorry, but there are ways for the rider to make the clamshells fit less snugly and eventually someone will be stupid and push the limits and fall out. It might not happen this year or next, but eventually.

How do I know this? Because people are stupid.

-Zach

I'm sorry, but there are ways for the rider to make the clamshells fit less snugly and eventually someone will be stupid and push the limits and fall out. It might not happen this year or next, but eventually.

How do I know this? Because people are stupid.

I guess there's always a possibility...but these things are pretty damn safe! But yes, people are stupid, and will most likely ruin the fun in the end.