TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: The Bamboozle Roadshow to hit Six Flags parks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From other videos I have seen it looks as if kids were getting on stage the whole set and other bands sets. So what i think happened was that the kids saw how easy it was to get on stage and just rushed the stage and the end of the night. but it seems to me that there security was just you average SF employee( so perhaps they were not trained for such an event.) and every other concert I've been to (Punk/Pop concerts such as the bands that play Bamboozle ) and they have these steel barriers between the crowd and the stage with security in between the two(which seem to be absent at this venue with e security on stage during the entire concert.) If SF were to have such a concert again they should be more prepared.

This made me lol for the fact alone that the band was yelling F YOU SIX FLAGS when they should have known better. Security doesn't have jurisdiction enough to mace people unless they are in a seriously dangerous situation. I'm sure that if they had been blaming the police (and they should have) then they would have been allowed to play the set the following night.

The fact remains that no unlawful act was taking place so mace was without a doubt excessive use of force unless the kids were resisting arrest for doing or saying something to the officer. That would have changed things completely. Who knows really.

it seems to me that there security was just you average SF employee( so perhaps they were not trained for such an event.)

the kids weren't thinking, and SF management had to think fast.

You guys are overlooking something:

Parker said that Arlington police, not park security, brandished the weapon.

It was not Six Flags Security that maced the kids. The Arlington Police Department did.

Edited by robbalvey

I haven't ever been maced but I have been sprayed but once of this huge a$$ fire hoses during a peaceful protest and exercising my first admendment rights.

You haven't lived your life until you've been knocked head over heels by the pressure of one of those things.

I haven't ever been maced but I have been sprayed but once of this huge a$$ fire hoses during a peaceful protest and exercising my first admendment rights.

You haven't lived your life until you've been knocked head over heels by the pressure of one of those things.

Oh yikes.....that's freakin' insane!

honestly, there is no reason why mace should have been used. If Six Flags had the appropriately trained (and appropriately sized staff as well) then a situation like this would have never even occurred. You can blame the band but ultimately who was the one spraying little 15 year olds in the face? What happened on stage was likely no more dangerous then the gaggle-F** of kids out on the floor. I would say Six Flags is ultimately to blame for not being prepared with the proper staff to handle such occasions properly. After all it was their venue, was it not? Therefore safety is SF's responsibility. Ironically enough, it appears the security was the biggest hazard for this crowd.

Idk if any of you have been to Soma in San Diego, but they by far have the biggest bouncer's i have ever seen. If SF had even 2 of those guys I'm sure this wouldnt have even been an issued.

You guys are overlooking something:

Parker said that Arlington police, not park security, brandished the weapon.

It was not Six Flags Security that maced the kids. The Arlington Police Department did.

But then the PD said

A police spokesperson said no uniformed officers were at the park but that one off-duty officer was working security at the event.

which implies he was working for Six Flags as security.

Really, if you look at the video the stage is being rushed by teenage girls.

honestly, there is no reason why mace should have been used. If Six Flags had the appropriately trained (and appropriately sized staff as well) then a situation like this would have never even occurred. You can blame the band but ultimately who was the one spraying little 15 year olds in the face? What happened on stage was likely no more dangerous then the gaggle-F** of kids out on the floor. I would say Six Flags is ultimately to blame for not being prepared with the proper staff to handle such occasions properly. After all it was their venue, was it not? Therefore safety is SF's responsibility. Ironically enough, it appears the security was the biggest hazard for this crowd.

Idk if any of you have been to Soma in San Diego, but they by far have the biggest bouncer's i have ever seen. If SF had even 2 of those guys I'm sure this wouldnt have even been an issued.

I'm sure security was prepared for most anything....but it's not everyday a band asks the fans to get on stage. Again......the band started it. Had one of the band members been hurt.......somehow they would have blamed it on the park.

They dug their own grave with that comment. If I had it my way...I would have maced the band for that. LOL j/j

This made me laugh out loud! Sign me up for a band macing - the d@uchebags sound like they need it.

"pepper spray was used and approximately 15 guests were affected," the statement read. "Those individuals were treated by First Aid and released."

No arrests were reported.

Hmm, so 15 guests were affected by pepper spray, treated by First Aid, and released without any further injuries or fatalities due to the ignorance of the band......who was being paid to perform, and incited to whole incident.

Sounds to me like the morons on stage got off lucky. They've now used this incident to drum up more exposure than they probably ever deserved for spewing bad music to ignorant fans. At least their name is fitting.

Upon further review...

The band should have been maced for being 5 years too late to the "we sound exactly like fallout boy" pop-punk trend.

ha too bad the band sounds NOTHING like Fall Out Boy, good try though. Being a music business major going into the music industry this falls more on Six Flags in my honest opinion. If you go to Warped Tour or to The Bamboozle or any show of this caliber, one would know what rock shows are all about: going crazy, even rowdy. Let's also note that these teens and fans are here to see the band and have fun, inviting them on stage brings the crowd closer to them and gives them a show to remember, it's been done before.

The macing was an overreaction, yes All Time Low might have wanted to think about this before they did it, but they know one thing: to put on a great show and give their fans a good time. For a pop punk show it includes, to some, what happened and that was bringing their fans on stage. Six Flags should have done their homework, it's not the responsibility of the band, the tour manager, or anyone to tell Six Flags what to expect, if you're going to bring a tour of this caliber to your park, be ready for it. Macing shouldnt have occurred, why did they do it? Were kids attacking each other? Were they trying to hurt the security that was present? No, the thing I see in the video is kids rushing up there and jumping around, no rioting or anything, so it wasn't needed. I'm not saying I'm right, but for someone looking to own a venue one day it's kind of sad to see this happen at a show that was supposed to be fun.

What All Time Low said about Six Flags, which was said earlier, might have been over the top, but yet again it's a performance and they had to do that to keep the crowd in it, and quite frankly, they don't want to see their fans treated that way, so in essence they were trying to protect them. If this had occurred at any other place, the macing wouldn't have happened because venues that bring in these bands know what to expect, so Six Flags, instead of condemning them for doing what they do and not letting them play, is a terrible idea. Sit down with them and a form a medium because now the park is going to get a bad rep for doing this, it's all a business these days, you need to think about the people coming to your park too, not just for the show, but for the rides as well.

Regardless it's unfortunate but it's done with, now Six Flags needs to decide where to go from here, talk to the band about regulations and keep the Roadshow at the remaining Six Flags like they have been advertising with all bands present, or just kicking them out and disappointing there attendees without even trying, going to be interesting to see what happens.

^True, just because something is "normal" and "accepted" absolutely does not mean it is right.

There are millions of examples of this. Of course, some are gray areas, but still. IMO it pretty much comes down to respect and safety.

but Robb they ARE acceptable actions at rock shows are they not? What did they do wrong to dismiss? The band wanting to give their fans a show? So many big bands these days are snobs and don't give 2 craps about their fans, it's all about money, bands on that tour still consider the fans their #1 priority. Again their was no rioting or fighting whatsoever so why was mace necessary???? I'm not seeing how what happened was what you call "unacceptable" when stuff like bringing fans on stage happens a lot at rock shows, and even better, their wasn't even people fighting, so their is nothing unacceptable about it at all.

This is why parks should have concerts with decent bands that are less geared towards dumb teenagers. Maybe some popular indie bands like Modest Mouse or Grizzly Bear. I've been to these types of shows often and they are completely calm. This type of music is also getting quite popular among every age group nowadays as well.

Now what I'd really like to see is a Yo Gabba Gabba Super Music Friends Show tour across all the SF parks. Indie music for the whole family!

As someone that played in punk bands for over ten years I think there was a few mistakes made by both parties here. While these were not punk bands they are a genre of music that evolved from punk.

For the record I'm not hating on Six Flags here and taking the sides of the artist involved. I don't listen to or even like any of the bands and I am hands down a much bigger fan of Six Flags.

I think that the biggest mistake overall is it sounds like Six Flags just wasn't properly prepared for the concert they brought in. Some may not agree with the behavior of the band or of that of the crowd, but it is generally pretty standard behavior for the genre. Just because it is something that is different to what you are used to doesn't make it wrong.

For this type of concert SF should of considered barriers separating the stage from the crowd, done a better job training the security for handling such an event, and most importantly should of communicated their expectations more clearly with the artists involved. Hiring security with more specific experience dealing with such type of concerts could even of been an option.

As far as the pepper spray being fired by a police officer and not SF security, it sounds like the police officer was temporarily employed as SF security for the event. From my knowledge I think this is a pretty familiar practice for similar events around the country.

Whether or not any expectations were communicated or not, the bands involved should of maybe taken the context of the venue into consideration a little more, and maybe decided that certain behaviors that were the norm were not gonna be acceptable at such a venue.

So I'm not trying to say "It's Six Flags fault," or point my finger solely in their direction, but I really wonder if this is a proper venue for such a show. As much as I love certain types of music and amusement parks, I just feel that they are two very different entities and are probably better off not being mixed.

In the end it's not as big of a deal as some make it. The saddest part is that it is a black eye for all parties involved and it is something that should of been easily avoidable.

^agreed, I didn't mean to come off favoring All Time Low over Six Flags, I have been an enthusiast longer then a music nerd and wanting to be in the music industry, I just think things should have been prepared better and handled better on Six Flags' part because, as you said, shows like this get that way. That is what All Time Low and the crowds at their shows are used to, obviously Six Flags wasn't, so hopefully next time communication is more open between the two and it can be handled better and the actions of the band will be too.

but Robb they ARE acceptable actions at rock shows are they not?

When I worked touring with a band you had to take just as much responsibility knowing a venue, their operations, and your audience as the venue did with the band. It is unrealistic that a venue is going to know every single detail of an artist's performance. And the band did have responsibility to alert the venue if they felt there could be any liability issues with their performance. I can't imagine these rules have changed in 20 years. Especially when we've seen things like the riot at the TLC concert happen at SFMM or the Great White fire, etc.

I also worked many Grad Nights at Disney where lots of different acts played. For certain acts there were memos sent BY THE ARTIST informing the park of any potential risks with the show. Did ATL do this with Six Flags? I have no idea. Did Six Flags request this? I have no idea. So until any of this information is made public, you have to assume some blame to both groups.

Many of you are making the assumption that Six Flags did no research, there was no communication, and they just over reacted. Clearly no one can say for certain because none of us were there. I do know that, regardless if it was the park security or Arlington PD, no one is going to use pepper spray unless they FELT IT WAS NECESSARY!

In fact, if anyone over reacted, I would say it's the band.

I never did say that there was any one side that should take all the blame. I said there were mistakes made and examples of poor judgement used by BOTH parties.

You make it sound like the band and the fans should just wash their hands of ANY responsibility.

This, IMO, is SO WRONG...but...what I've come to expect from many people as of late.

Seems like fewer and fewer people are willing to take responsibility for their own actions and are always looking to point the finger at some one else. And that to me is really sad and immature.

In this case of this incident, both parties made mistakes. But the band made more, IMO. The incident shouldn't have been allowed to happen, and by all means they made even poorer judgements with the comments they made towards Six Flags. That is where they crossed the line. Had they NOT made those rude, disparaging comments, I would say both parties shared almost an equal amount of blame. But the fact that the band took it further than it needed to go was what made them look so much worse in my mind.

If someone who thinks that behaviour is "justifiable" or "acceptable", well, for example, as a business owner, please do not ever sign up for a TPR trip as I would honestly consider you to be a liability for us. Because someone that cannot take responsibility for their own actions usually will end up missing the bus...and then somehow blaming us for their stupid mistake.

As someone who owns their own company and has to deal with liability all the time, I can relate to both parties here. I would never treat my "host park" like that band treated Six Flags. And if I did, I wouldn't expect to be asked to return either.

--Robb "Again, this are my thoughts from my own professional experience, both working for a band and for a theme park!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

If you go to Warped Tour or to The Bamboozle or any show of this caliber, one would know what rock shows are all about: going crazy, even rowdy.

Sure, within the constraints of the "crowd" area.

yes All Time Low might have wanted to think about this before they did it, but they know one thing: to put on a great show and give their fans a good time.

Just playing your music onstage is not enough anymore? Listen, I've been to well over a hundred show in my life, everything from Jimmy Buffet to Nine Inch Nails, and everything in between. I have NEVER seen a band invite the crowd onstage. You know why? Because it defies common sense.

What All Time Low said about Six Flags, which was said earlier, might have been over the top, but yet again it's a performance and they had to do that to keep the crowd in it, and quite frankly, they don't want to see their fans treated that way, so in essence they were trying to protect them.

LOL.

If this had occurred at any other place, the macing wouldn't have happened because venues that bring in these bands know what to expect, so Six Flags, instead of condemning them for doing what they do and not letting them play, is a terrible idea. Sit down with them and a form a medium because now the park is going to get a bad rep for doing this, it's all a business these days, you need to think about the people coming to your park too, not just for the show, but for the rides as well.

Six Flags was thinking about those people. The band should have been too.

Listen, to me, this is clearly one sided. IT IS THE BAND'S FAULT. For starters, you're dealing with a crowd of predominantly teens. Let's face it, most of 'em - male or female - even though they were riled up against "the man," probably couldn't even kick their own ass, much less be of harm to anyone. BUT, mob mentality is a dangerous thing, regardless of who it is.

Since you want to own your own venue one day, you may want to consider this shocking scenario. Although it didn't happen in this incident, all it would have taken was for ONE teen to be trampled in that mess of humanity rushing the stage. Changes things a bit, no?

*IF* that had happened (which it easily could have), how do the actions of the band who was "in essence, trying to protect their fans" look now?

On top of that, the whole "F-you, Six Flags" rant should have never happened. The only thing Six Flags did wrong was not pulling that asshat's microphone once the incident started. Not only did the band member endanger his fans, but he potentially incited further riot-like behavior towards Six Flags security. Again, you CAN'T underestimate mob mentality, regardless of age or gender.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. This band lucked out.

When I hear that a band is actually named "All Time Low" all I can think about is the first Wayne's World movie.

Wayne: Who's playing?

Doorman: The Shitty Beetles.

Wayne: Are they any good?

Doorman: No, they suck!

Wayne: So, it's not just a clever name.